Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:31 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

It is a lifestyle choice to not have kids. As my kids get older I am thinking I want to be a part of that lifestyle. Two of my sisters can't have kids. One does not want to be bothered by them. The other one and her husband adopted three. We have family friends that did the same, they adopted when they found they could not have kids.

I listened to a comedian talking about this. She had a bit about becoming a mom. People congratulating her about becoming a mom. She tells people in this bit that it was not that hard for her to become a mom. In fact when she first became a mom she had no idea, she was just having a fun Saturday night and then nine months later she was a mom. Of course it is more funny when she tells it, and I wish I could give you her name. She is funny. Unfortunately, my memory is shot, probably from being a dad of 6 kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:39 AM

1,210 posts, read 887,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Well that's a weird day to come up with.
The associated website makes it sound like child free people are victims who will be competing with the rest of the victims on the victim ideology totem pole. Next thing you know they'll have scholarships and affirmative action for them:

"In 2014, the Selection Panel voted to give a Lifetime Childfree Contribution Award to a very special member of the childfree community: Marcia-Drut-Davis (US). She is a pioneer of the childfree lifestyle. In 1974, she lost the job she loved (teaching children), lost friends, and was persecuted after being interviewed on 60 Minutes about the choice to have no children. She even faced death threats and picket lines when she spoke on this topic. Her memoir, Confessions of a Childfree Woman: A Life Spent Swimming Against Mainstream, details her struggles to help younger women and men understand and make this life choice if it is right for them. Marcia’s blog, Childfree Reflections, conversations on her Facebook pages, and speaking to groups have contributed much to the acceptance of the childfree choice in society today."

Past Childfree Award Winners

Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
You know something, some of the comments you make are prone to getting "misunderstood" by the average reader. Step back and take look sometime. Here you're talking pretty blithely about a pandemic that kills billions of people. What kind of world would come out of that? How would the survivors be effected? I guess you can think it would be really cool when you don't have any kids or grandkids to worry about. And you wonder why people who celebrate "Child Free Day" are seen as a bunch of narcissistic kooks by people who do the heavy lifting in this life.

I was with you up until the bold part. Are you implying that those of us who chose not to have children have nothing to offer this world? Because like it or not, that's how it comes off.

And for the record, I think an International Childfree Day is ridiculous.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
When you don't procreate, every day is childfree day.
Excellent point. But the reverse is true as well, isn't it?

Old 08-02-2019, 11:12 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
They should get spayed or neutered to ensure they won’t reproduce

Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Are you implying that those of us who chose not to have children have nothing to offer this world?

Nothing? No, I'm not implying that. But I can personally vouch that it's harder to be a parent than to not be a parent. Our first child wasn't born until I was 34, so I've tasted both worlds.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:31 PM

999 posts, read 553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I was with you up until the bold part. Are you implying that those of us who chose not to have children have nothing to offer this world? Because like it or not, that's how it comes off.
I also hate the (very false) idea that the childfree don't care about the future just because we don't have kids. Only someone with an incredibly selfish mindset would assume that one could only care about their OWN children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
They should get spayed or neutered to ensure they won’t reproduce
Childfree people attempt to do that all the time and are rejected. It's actually incredibly difficult to get sterilized. If you want us to be sterilized, go talk to the doctors who refuse to give people the procedure.

We're not allowed to mention other forums here. But there's a pretty big one out there centered around the childfree. If you read there, you'll find many stories about people being denied sterilization.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I had my tubes tied at age 23. They did try to make me consider it carefully, saying things like, "What if you find the perfect man, but he wants children?"
I replied, "Then he isn't the perfect man."

I have never regretted doing this. And I did find the perfect man.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:31 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I had my tubes tied at age 23. They did try to make me consider it carefully, saying things like, "What if you find the perfect man, but he wants children?"

My daughter had it done last year, at 26. (While she was still under my insurance, which was smart of her.) Her partner doesn't want kids, either. She made that very clear when dating that this was not something she was going to change her mind about.

There was never a time in my daughter's life when she talked about growing up and having kids. She was given two beautiful baby dolls, a boy and a girl, as a present when she was little, and she set up them in a little bed in the corner of her room and never played with them.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:34 PM

999 posts, read 553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

That's good! I hope more doctors are beginning to come around on this. It seems there are loads of childfree people now and it shouldn't be such a shocking thing anymore that some people don't ever want to have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events