Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Agree. The problem wasn't unnoticed until the final day unless it's a rule for graduation only.
Did you read in the article where the hair code/dress code changed over the Holiday? His hair was probably within allowances until the dress code was changed (and they do change all the time, who KNEW you'd have to rule against people wearing ripped up clothing, or hair in unnatural colors? Fashions change, hair and dress codes become more liberal or more stringent, depending. This hair code became more strict, and although his hair was fine before, it's not now).

Old 01-22-2020, 06:06 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I had heard the dress code was recently changed. I don't think it is fair to make him cut them now. This is something that needs to be made known in advance and implemented at the beginning of the school year. Some of these kids need to be grandfathered out.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:10 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Are people with long hair a protected class? No? Didn't think so.

The issue is if the rule is being applied fairly. Are girls with hair that length also being forced to cut? If so, this is probably a non-issue.

However, I suspect that isn't the case and he probably has pretty firm ground to sue if he/his family so choose to do so. The whole "choose your battles" thing comes to mind, but still, it's pretty blatant sexism if that's the case.
Unless there is a religious reason for not doing so, in which instance, he may have a legitimate claim for religious discrimination. However, ideally this would be handled at a lower level than bogging down the court system.

https://classroom.synonym.com/what-r...-12085447.html

Old 01-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I had heard the dress code was recently changed. I don't think it is fair to make him cut them now. This is something that needs to be made known in advance and implemented at the beginning of the school year. Some of these kids need to be grandfathered out.
I would agree with you on the grand scale of things, when rules change, you need to realize there are those who are now in a pinch.

For example, if a neighborhood rules you can only have 3 dogs and some of the neighbors have more, they need some consideration and maybe to have those dogs grandfathered in.

This is hair. It's painless to cut off, and it will grow back. Win win. The elected school board has decided this is inappropriate in school.

(I say this with some caveat, though. I would like to know EXACTLY what made the code change over the holidays - what were the concerns being addressed? It may be this one young man, wanting to make him cut his hair, which isn't ok).

Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently the school dress code is very clear, and his hair is too long for school and graduation.

Of note, the author of the article can't seem to settle on the spelling of locks/locs. And what an irony that he goes to Barbers Hill high school.

https://www.kvue.com/article/sports/...e-559f30c26175
WTF. Did somebody just invent a time machine and went back to 1960?

Old 01-22-2020, 07:07 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
I was not in my 1969 yearbook cause my hair was to long.Funny thing in the back of the yearbook they had a picture of the student smoking lounge behind the gym and there I was.Only that wasn't a cigarette I was passing to my buddy.So I won.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:21 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Sure smells like some “good ole boys” type neighborhood they have in that area of Texas.
I have this vision in my head where a bunch fat old white guys sitting in smoked filled back room spewing
“We can’t let our_______ walk around here weary them blankety blank dread locs . It just ain’t Christian like”.

Not in a million years would I ever thought I would say this but where is the Reverend Al when he is needed?

Old 01-22-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Sure smells like some “good ole boys” type neighborhood they have in that area of Texas.
I have this vision in my head where a bunch fat old white guys sitting in smoked filled back room spewing
“We can’t let our_______ walk around here weary them blankety blank dread locs . It just ain’t Christian like”.

Not in a million years would I ever thought I would say this but where is the Reverend Al when he is needed?
Before you cast aspersions on who is "fat", maybe you might want to watch this news video?

The school board members look to be a healthy weight, by and large.

Just sayin'.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...board-meeting/

Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Hey it was my “vision” .
Seriously though Clara I have always had soft spot in my heart for the underdog.
Is this a bad kid?
I don’t think so.
Are they racist?
Maybe maybe not.
I think it is possibly more of a cultural thing and that is sort of grudgingly giving them a pass for me anyway.
They did however “move the finish line” for this kid and others if I am understanding this correctly.
Did they not?
The librarian views I own are telling me that this is just wrong and he is not being treated properly.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:07 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Have always felt that you should follow the rules as set. If you don't like them, work to change them. But, if they don't, follow them.

My son had a mohawk in HS. Originally, they told him to cut his hair. He didn't know he was breaking the policy. We pointed out he was getting straight As, did well in sports, and no one around him was having problems. They allowed him to keep it. If they had said no, we would have cut it.

Today, people don't think rules apply to them. Somehow they are special and should be able to ignore them. Get over yourselves, people.

cd :O)
If the rules happen to be discriminatory...people should DEFINITELY NOT be obeying them!

After all, these are our RIGHTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events