Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 12:21 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
I just went to test my theory on why you can't find toilet paper on online delivery sites.

Because it's not called toilet paper.

It's called BATH TISSUE.

Just pulled it up on Kroger, Harris Teeter, and Target.

Hey, industry standards.
Target (for a wide area, it goes by proximity to zip code) it knows what toilet paper IS. It populates many brands, but when you look to shipping it says NO LONGER AVAILABLE. At first it would go in your cart but never arrive, so they switched to this to put an end to orders they can't fill. It's an in person first come first serve situation.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:22 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Because adults are supposed to know better - their brains being fully developed.
Also when adults cough it’s in your face......a little rug rat it’s at knee level........not so bad.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:46 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
At the very least hospitals and health care needs to open up for procedures other than just Covid 19.
Yeah, as long as they start with vasectomies.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I also get kidney stones from time to time. So far I have been able to pass most of them without help. But I worry if that will always be the case. None of us wants to go to the hospital today because of possible exposure to this new life threatening disease. I have to wonder what happened to the 'elective' surgery that many had scheduled before Covid 19?
My husband gets kidney stones. He went to urgent care a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems. He actually went twice since he was worried about an infection.

Hospitals are still performing some surgeries. My FIL had a scheduled surgery a few days ago.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
My husband gets kidney stones. He went to urgent care a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems. He actually went twice since he was worried about an infection.

Hospitals are still performing some surgeries. My FIL had a scheduled surgery a few days ago.
It all depends on your area. My area, up until the last week, had the highest infection rate in my State. Our hospitals were having a hard time coping with all the corona virus cases. Now we have dropped to number three. But many areas are having a hard time dealing with the nursing homes where there have been major problems.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:51 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It wasn't Steak N Shake. I believe it was a place called Shake Shack.
Yes you’re right thanks for correction!

Old 04-23-2020, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Banks still have offers for new accounts.
I haven’t seen a bank give a prize for a new account in decades!

Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I think Steak n Shake could have actually used the loan. All the stores around me closed due to debt. But that was a few months ago, maybe even a year ago?
We never had them around here, at least I’ve never seen one. They shouldn’t fall under small business loan rules. Most fast food places are open, and their debt if it existed before Covid, should not be relieved via the CARES act. Regardless big companies like that is nit what the fund was meant for. regular neighborhood businesses didn’t get a penny cause multi-millionaires slurped it all up.

Regardless I was mistaken and it was Shake Shack, not Steak and Shake. Never saw one of those either!

Old 04-23-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I really don't know what Fauci wants.

I get it from an academic perspective. If everyone stays locked up with nothing but essential jobs running for a year, this will likely burn out. Should we abandon stay at home now? I don't know, but I see the economy crumbling right before my eyes.

I live in a county of about 160,000. Currently, there are nine active cases within the county. The nearest other "big" county, adjacent to mine, is about 130,000. Currently, there are nine active cases within that county. There around 300 total cases in the area. Maybe 10% of those were ever hospitalized with two hospitals dedicated to COVID.

I work for the regional hospital system. We've stopped all elective surgeries and procedures. Most physician practices are closed. The whole system basically oriented toward COVID-19 surge cases only. We're hemorrhaging money to the point I'll be out of work if we can't get the revenue producing medical procedures back online soon.

That...never happened. We've furloughed 1300. All my restaurant and bar friends are unemployed. It's cascading well beyond that into white collar jobs and blue collar jobs that have nothing to do with the pandemic at first blush. We've unemployed nearly 10,000 in this area - which has been a huge hit to a poor area with a job market that wasn't great before all this happened.

We can't sustain this level of unemployment. People will die when we open. I can't leave 100,000 destitute if it means 100 sick and/or elderly die.
Then we better get some GD leadership and get our butts ready! You can’t tell me we can put a man on the moon but we can’t make f’ing cotton swabs and masks and hand sanitizer and more/better tests. We have the capability of churning all this stuff out right here but we’ve been sitting on our thumbs.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And if it was such a booming economy - the best ever - why don't people and/or companies have the money to sustain themselves for a few months - heck even a year??

What happened to all that money they were raking in? Or was that just a fantasy?
They used it all for stock buybacks not saving for rainy day. And for millions and millions it was not a high enough paying economy to allow much savings. So many gig workers today, companies who keep people PT so they don’t get benefits, etc. While they pay off hundreds of thousands of student loans. It was never the greatest economy ever for the working man IMO (that would’ve been after WWII into the 60’s when unions were strong and even non-Union companies paid pensions). It was a great economy if you were an owner, or had money in the stock market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events