Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2020, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

DH and I went to Fort Worth to see family yesterday. It was an interesting trip.

First of all, county and city ordinances mandated the use of masks indoors. Most people I saw were wearing surgical masks. Not everyone - staff or otherwise - wore them correctly, but most did. My husband and I wore surgical masks. My SIL and BIL both wore cloth masks and my BIL wouldn't wear his properly. He has asthma and is in his mid 60s so that's not good. We tried to tell him otherwise but he said he was too hot and it made breathing difficult. Fort Worth had a serious issue yesterday with that Saharan dust plume - visibility was very limited at times.

This was the first day I'd worn a mask for hours and hours throughout the day (I generally stay home a lot more but was out and about all day yesterday). I wore a surgical mask. It got very hot and stuffy after awhile. It also tended to ride up and impede my sight, so I did have to touch it often to adjust it. I've had that problem with both cloth and surgical masks. I have no distinct bridge to my pug nose and I think that's a big part of the problem - if I wear it over my nose (as I should and do) there's nothing to stop it from just continuing to ride up and eventually get to my eyes. Thankfully I have hand sanitizer with me and I just kept using it so that when I touched my mask at least I wasn't putting tons of germs all over it.

My SIL and I went to an antique mall for several hours. Everyone was wearing masks. We saw some other customers but not many. This was in the arts district in Fort Worth, which is usually hopping on the weekend. This was also very near a gun show which is usually packed but was not packed at all when we drove by. I don't care about gun shows one way or the other - but they're usually a lot busier which is my point.

We also went to a good restaurant, that we'd gone to before, in Fort Worth. We were the only customers the entire time we were there. But we did go in between lunch and supper hours. I hope that's not indicative of their daily business because if it is, they will go out of business. They are a family owned and operated business. We saw two employees (one "waitstaff"/cashier/front of restaurant and one chef - but the waitstaff guy went back and helped the chef after we ordered). where there used to be about four or five visible. Both people were family members, two brothers.

On the way home, we stopped at Duluth Trading Company - my husband needed some work clothes. (Hey, he's working anyway, though at a greatly reduced schedule as well as reduced pay.) There were a few customers in there - not many but I'd say 3 or 4 besides us. Everyone was wearing masks properly. Employees were standing around for the most part - there were more employees than customers. This was a Saturday afternoon just off the interstate in Fort Worth - that's not robust business by a long shot.

Literally everywhere we went, people were speaking in hushed tones, which was unsettling. Things felt fearful, if that makes sense. Sad. Worried. Definitely NOT vibrant or busy. Traffic was light.

So that was our day.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Well, she'll quarantine in KA's home where as a family they can decide how to manage risk. It's not an either-or situation but a gradation.

This interests me because my daughter will be moving out and I find myself wondering what visits home will look like. Testing is an option and one many appear to use before seeing relatives. Good idea and one that works well for your situation. Even if restricted to 'home-base,' I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with your granddaughter.

For us testing wouldn't work since contact will be more frequent albeit of much shorter duration. We'll have to get creative. Once cold weather comes masking when she's home here for relatively short indoor visits may well be advised. That's going to feel really strange.

We have talked of DD 'visiting' for a few weeks from all of 3 miles away say for the holidays once her internships are done. Having her tested first never occurred to me. Like, duh. Thanks for the idea.
You're welcome, and thanks! I actually just thought of it. I mean, I'm not going to take her over and over again but I probably will run through that testing site with her on the way home from the airport. Not sure how accurate any of that will be, since she probably wouldn't show up as positive that soon if she was exposed during travel. But it's good to have that option, and she may want to do it before she travels from one hot spot - Texas - to another hot spot - Florida.

We'll see how it goes! Still, I am really looking forward to seeing her precious face in my house!

Old 06-28-2020, 07:35 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’m confused. I thought we were talking about the curfews they just established in Houston? There the bars are closed again.
I don't know. I was responding to jencam. Not sure where she lives.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-28-2020 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 07:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. I have never thought that we'd get off scot free - LOL - whatever that means.
On the lighter side:
Scot free derives from a medieval (500-1453 ad) municipal tax.. called a scot.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:43 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
You're welcome, and thanks! I actually just thought of it. I mean, I'm not going to take her over and over again but I probably will run through that testing site with her on the way home from the airport. Not sure how accurate any of that will be, since she probably wouldn't show up as positive that soon if she was exposed during travel. But it's good to have that option, and she may want to do it before she travels from one hot spot - Texas - to another hot spot - Florida.

We'll see how it goes! Still, I am really looking forward to seeing her precious face in my house!

Didn't TX just limit tests to only those with symptoms? Or is that only in certain areas?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wait in line to get into Trader Joe's...
Wait everywhere. All day every day. Heck, I am even waiting at home, for the end of the day to see what the day's new numbers will be.

I'm also waiting for murder hornets, waiting for oil prices to go back up, waiting for the Saharan dust plume to dissipate (I was waiting for it to get here), waiting to see what will happen during this weird election year, etc.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:49 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
DH and I went to Fort Worth to see family yesterday. It was an interesting trip.

First of all, county and city ordinances mandated the use of masks indoors. Most people I saw were wearing surgical masks. Not everyone - staff or otherwise - wore them correctly, but most did. My husband and I wore surgical masks. My SIL and BIL both wore cloth masks and my BIL wouldn't wear his properly. He has asthma and is in his mid 60s so that's not good. We tried to tell him otherwise but he said he was too hot and it made breathing difficult. Fort Worth had a serious issue yesterday with that Saharan dust plume - visibility was very limited at times.

This was the first day I'd worn a mask for hours and hours throughout the day (I generally stay home a lot more but was out and about all day yesterday). I wore a surgical mask. It got very hot and stuffy after awhile. It also tended to ride up and impede my sight, so I did have to touch it often to adjust it. I've had that problem with both cloth and surgical masks. I have no distinct bridge to my pug nose and I think that's a big part of the problem - if I wear it over my nose (as I should and do) there's nothing to stop it from just continuing to ride up and eventually get to my eyes. Thankfully I have hand sanitizer with me and I just kept using it so that when I touched my mask at least I wasn't putting tons of germs all over it.

My SIL and I went to an antique mall for several hours. Everyone was wearing masks. We saw some other customers but not many. This was in the arts district in Fort Worth, which is usually hopping on the weekend. This was also very near a gun show which is usually packed but was not packed at all when we drove by. I don't care about gun shows one way or the other - but they're usually a lot busier which is my point.

We also went to a good restaurant, that we'd gone to before, in Fort Worth. We were the only customers the entire time we were there. But we did go in between lunch and supper hours. I hope that's not indicative of their daily business because if it is, they will go out of business. They are a family owned and operated business. We saw two employees (one "waitstaff"/cashier/front of restaurant and one chef - but the waitstaff guy went back and helped the chef after we ordered). where there used to be about four or five visible. Both people were family members, two brothers.

On the way home, we stopped at Duluth Trading Company - my husband needed some work clothes. (Hey, he's working anyway, though at a greatly reduced schedule as well as reduced pay.) There were a few customers in there - not many but I'd say 3 or 4 besides us. Everyone was wearing masks properly. Employees were standing around for the most part - there were more employees than customers. This was a Saturday afternoon just off the interstate in Fort Worth - that's not robust business by a long shot.

Literally everywhere we went, people were speaking in hushed tones, which was unsettling. Things felt fearful, if that makes sense. Sad. Worried. Definitely NOT vibrant or busy. Traffic was light.

So that was our day.
A plastic face shield may work better for BIL. It will cover his droplets, so others are protected if he is asymptomatic. You can pick them up from online shops.

It may be good to order now, because the spiking cases may force Abbott’s hand on a mandatory mask policy.

I have been checking hospital icu capacity for DFW region, we still have plenty of ICU capacity. BIL would be fine if he needed to be hospitalized.

Houston is near max. Texas Medical Center is using surge capacity ICU bed. A children’s hospital is treating Adult ICU patients, because the virus is not affecting their bed capacity. You may not want to visit there anytime soon.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
My county closed the fabric stores too. I was so mad because people
were trying to make masks.
Yep, keep the hoards of people lined up in Costco, but deny a bunch of mainly women trying to sew. That was ridiculous.
I might have missed if someone posted this, but I high-tailed it to Walmart
weeks/months ago-remembering they had a fabric area!!!! (Bought bras at Goodwill for the elastic ear loops.)
I scored~!
Walmart has a stretchy jersey **- when it was cooler I made 'like a' turtle neck ---easy-peasy,
just pull it up over your nose. Now it's too hot.
But I'll use it in the Winter in CO for walking the dog.

** porous ---but it keeps MY spray from going out at least

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 06-28-2020 at 08:09 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 07:52 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Schrodinger’s Face Mask: Simultaneously too flimsy and porous to keep germs out; and yet such a powerful barrier it keeps oxygen out and carbon dioxide in.
I had no idea what the Schrodinger's reference meant, so I tried to look it up and in doing so, found the following, which I think is a very good article. It is somewhat long but in "plain English".

https://medium.com/@koenfucius/embra...e-9c0948cd2a98

Just a brief excerpt from the above (quote in italics):

"If we are interested in the truth, we should be willing to abandon our priors [beliefs] time and time again. Once we adopt a belief, it will take over and seek protection from us. We will seek to confirm our belief and seek to persuade others, rather than to verify and adjust.

"Abandoning our priors means proclaiming our ignorance, however. That is not easy for us, uncertainty-averse creatures that we are. But admitting we don’t really know enables us to accept there are multiple truths, and stops us from caring which particular truth is the ‘real’ one.

"That is why it is good to embrace our ignorance. It is by doing so that we can overcome it."

Last edited by katharsis; 06-28-2020 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 07:57 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Didn't TX just limit tests to only those with symptoms? Or is that only in certain areas?
That’s only in Austin. Their running low on tests. Some companies are requiring workers to get tested for Coronavirus, before they reopen for business. It's taking away tests from people that had exposure or symptoms.

I bet Houston is next. Their are long lines for COVID testing in Houston. There were 200 people at SignatureCare in Houston, standing close together like a Conga line. No 6ft rule.

It gets worse every day. They use a rapid test that provides results in 15 minutes. It's very popular for reopening, because workers can start the next day. They don't have to wait 4-7 days for results like the free tests.

SignatureCare COVID test line in Houston - https://twitter.com/alexdstuckey/sta...53523636273152

Last edited by move4ward; 06-28-2020 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events