Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 10:02 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,098,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
That fifty million shoplift crew they just busted in the Bay area leads me to believe.................and CVS isn't unionized, either. My moms' RX, A CVS in El Monte, never has more than two people on at cashier or on th efloor (except for RX behind their counters) No wonder it's a shop lifters DREAM WORLD. on top of that, the cashier spends way too much time BS"ing with her friend buying while I'm the only one waiting. Doesn't appear to have ANY training program or oversight. Manager no where to be seen. Not surprised you'd get these employees pulling stuff like this.
Since CVS is profitable (to my knowledge, since they keep opening up new stores), I have to wonder how much they could lower their prices if shoplifting was minimized? Because the people who are REALLY getting stolen from, are the customers who DON'T shoplift, they are paying for the ones who do. CVS is just the middleman, who passes along their costs of doing business, one of which is shrinkage from shoplifting. I have to wonder if they set their prices locally, regionally, or nationwide, such that the Good People of Honestville are paying higher prices due to the chicanery of the folks who live in Nastytown. It also makes one wonder if eventually, you will walk into a "store" that is essentially a blank room full of kiosks. You will do your "shopping" via a computer screen, pay there, and your items are quickly delivered to the kiosk by some kind of conveyance, the actual employees are nothing more than order-pickers in the basement (or robots). For that matter, you may just shop from home, but instead of waiting for an Amazon delivery, you just drive through the CVS location and a loader puts your stuff into your trunk. (or boot, if you're in London). Is this the future of retail? And then, will shoplifters simply turn into carjackers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 06:30 AM

21,098 posts, read 13,682,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Only at work for I ever sign for a package - UPS, FedEx, DHS.

At home, I have not signed for anything - UPS, FedEX, Amazon Prime - in the ten years I have lived at this house, cannot remember the last time before that. And in the last week alone, we received nearly 15 packages at home.

At least now, you can sign up for text alerts for all of them. Not the case nearly 40 years ago when a USP driver left $500 in Nikon equipment sitting on my parents porch in the rain and did not even ring the bell.

The text alerts have been solid and accurate for each of them, as least for us. Same with the USPS informed delivery app. I get an email message every morning of what is to be delivered to my house by USPS and 99 out of 100 it is that day. The other 1 out of 100 it shows up the next day.
Right. It isn't the same with food. Each delivery person relies on whatever GPS system they choose. People's orders end up at the wrong address, in front of the complex outside the gate just sitting there for anyone to grab, I have had groceries left at the bottom of my stairs instead of my porch, anyone could have taken them. It's up to them to text delivered or knock or ring, none of which they did, so my groceries sat outside under a neighbor called me about them.

UPS knows where they are going and have universal gate codes and such. If a dasher gets lost/didn't read my instructions with the gate code, and can't get me on the phone to direct him, he will leave my food somewhere random, take a pic, and mark delivered or he will take it and eat it himself or give it away and tell support 'Jencam didn't answer my call, I couldn't find her house, there was nothing I could do'.

A UPS person has never called or texted for directions and declined to deliver due to me not answering. Neither has the USPS, Prime, etc.

It's a completely different set up.

I was hella confused when I started getting walmart grocery, who uses doordash to deliver. They would call me from a number that looks like a spam call. I had no 'heads up' to be expecting a call, so I didn't answer. They didn't text for some reason.

Later I would hear a voicemail of them telling me they can't find me and need my assistance. In the end they must have asked passers by and made it here.

I was literally wondering how UPS, Prime, etc. always gets here while never having to call. Even Amazon Prime Now grocery delivery, never has called or texted me seeking my help in getting here.

When I started answering the phone, I was like I don't know how to tell you how to get here from where you are! You are nowhere near my street, and I don't have a map of the (large) complex I live in. I only know what street you need to find me on. Doesn't your GPS at least show you where the streets are, like a map? I can tell you the main road you need to get on to get to my street.

'Which way do I turn on that?'

'How should I know? I don't know where you are!'

Had it been something they wanted to keep and eat, they would have done so rather than ask passers by.

Their system is to start a timer if we don't answer them and when the timer is up, the food is theirs or they can leave it anywhere.They only have to pass a criminal background check and have a valid driver's license.

They do not have to have any experience, sit through an interview, show proficiency in reading a map, nothing.

It's random people going around often completely clueless on how to navigate.

One guy told me he was having trouble finding me and I did know where he was. I had a map imprinted in my head by this point, with these constant calls and texts.

He didn't want my directions, he wanted to 'follow the building numbers' and get here on his own. You can't do that here. You have to first be on the right street for building numbers to begin to mean anything.

He got mad and hung up on me, drove around, and eventually somehow found his way here with my cold food.

Another one called me from two streets over claiming to be here. I said you are not here, I am standing outside.

He insisted he was. I said ok, what street are you on? He said the name of the other street. I said I live on X street. He said that is the one I am on. Took a picture of the street sign to prove it and sent it to me. The street sign said the other street name!

I was like how high are you?

This is nothing like UPS drivers at all.

They say this in their threads. They snap pics of food outside buildings nowhere near the customer's apt.

Customers didn't come up with ways to scam them on their own, they first were taught how often food truly does not arrive and then some learned from that how to game the system to their favor.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:48 AM

51,445 posts, read 37,111,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Can passengers not change their location once they get into the Uber ride?

I see your friend's point, especially since the driver didn't seem to do anything nefarious.
They are not supposed to change their location. Remember, these people took their ride on MY credit card. Once they changed their location he should have verified he had the right people. All he had to do was ask what was the original location they were going to. I don't think he did anything nefarious but he didn't do his job well. He should have been going slower, I was jumping up and down trying to get his attention while he zoomed by.

How would you feel if you ordered a pizza and paid for it, and they gave it to someone else? And if you wanted another pizza, you would have to pay for another pizza because it's only an app with no way to reach people? What rating would you give that delivery driver?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-21-2020 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-21-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Your friend that drives for them is wrong. What is your friends reasoning behind saying you're wrong? You were right to give him a poor rating. The driver is a moron for not going back when they gave the driver a different address. He deserved the poor rating and more.

You requested the lift, you were left there and not only that, you were charged for someone else's ride which took you days to get removed. What would have happened if you didn't have money for another ride after being left by that driver? You would have been stranded.
Thank you, that's what I felt. I was dumbfounded to find this could happen!

Old 12-21-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
grocery delivery they made you sign for so you couldn't say it was missing.
In that post they were talking about UPS, Fedex, not grocery delivery. Someone said UPS and Fedex make you sign, they do not in most cases.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Only at work for I ever sign for a package - UPS, FedEx, DHS.

At home, I have not signed for anything - UPS, FedEX, Amazon Prime - in the ten years I have lived at this house, cannot remember the last time before that. And in the last week alone, we received nearly 15 packages at home.

At least now, you can sign up for text alerts for all of them. Not the case nearly 40 years ago when a USP driver left $500 in Nikon equipment sitting on my parents porch in the rain and did not even ring the bell.

The text alerts have been solid and accurate for each of them, as least for us. Same with the USPS informed delivery app. I get an email message every morning of what is to be delivered to my house by USPS and 99 out of 100 it is that day. The other 1 out of 100 it shows up the next day.
Yes I get a lot delivered and rarely problems. We did get a package last week from UPS that had someone else's name and an address about 10 miles from us. My fiancé drove to the people's house and gave them their package. But it's Christmas and they are busy and humans make mistakes.

I had some Amazon Flex drivers leave packages in some really weird places, like the backyard or next to the garage where I got the text and had to go hunting for the package, but even that has stopped pretty much and I have had smooth deliveries throughout the pandemic. With the Amazon flex, I had a really weird experience where I couldn't find a package, and the customer service rep actually pulled my house and yard up on I guess a program like Google Earth, and helped me look for it remotely. It was kind of unnerving!

Old 12-21-2020, 07:05 AM

21,098 posts, read 13,682,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In that post they were talking about UPS, Fedex, not grocery delivery. Someone said UPS and Fedex make you sign, they do not in most cases.
I know. I was speaking to the topic of gig workers delivering things like groceries and restaurant food. Pre-covid, we had to sign for groceries so the company knew they got to the right person, and the person couldn't then lie and say 'they never came'.

With the 'leave at door' option being utilized now, there are all sorts of problems on both ends. Customers didn't think to try and say they didn't get their food when it was HANDED to them, this CVS employee is super wild if that is what she did.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Since CVS is profitable (to my knowledge, since they keep opening up new stores), I have to wonder how much they could lower their prices if shoplifting was minimized? Because the people who are REALLY getting stolen from, are the customers who DON'T shoplift, they are paying for the ones who do. CVS is just the middleman, who passes along their costs of doing business, one of which is shrinkage from shoplifting. I have to wonder if they set their prices locally, regionally, or nationwide, such that the Good People of Honestville are paying higher prices due to the chicanery of the folks who live in Nastytown. It also makes one wonder if eventually, you will walk into a "store" that is essentially a blank room full of kiosks. You will do your "shopping" via a computer screen, pay there, and your items are quickly delivered to the kiosk by some kind of conveyance, the actual employees are nothing more than order-pickers in the basement (or robots). For that matter, you may just shop from home, but instead of waiting for an Amazon delivery, you just drive through the CVS location and a loader puts your stuff into your trunk. (or boot, if you're in London). Is this the future of retail? And then, will shoplifters simply turn into carjackers?
There is no "Honestville", people shoplift in all towns. Heck, when I was a teen it was practically a hobby and I didn't live in "Nastyville" whatever that is supposed to mean.

They are never going to do the above because they would lose much more money by eliminating impulse purchases from people wandering the store than they would save by eliminating shoplifting. It wouldn't even be close.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I know. I was speaking to the topic of gig workers delivering things like groceries and restaurant food. Pre-covid, we had to sign for groceries so the company knew they got to the right person, and the person couldn't then lie and say 'they never came'.

With the 'leave at door' option being utilized now, there are all sorts of problems on both ends. Customers didn't think to try and say they didn't get their food when it was HANDED to them, this CVS employee is super wild if that is what she did.
Oh, I see.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:29 AM

16,192 posts, read 21,352,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is no "Honestville", people shoplift in all towns. Heck, when I was a teen it was practically a hobby and I didn't live in "Nastyville" whatever that is supposed to mean.

They are never going to do the above because they would lose much more money by eliminating impulse purchases from people wandering the store than they would save by eliminating shoplifting. It wouldn't even be close.
Never say never. The way people shop is changing and I think there are bound to be some major changes by retailers in the future.
I think there's a reason our local walmarts never went back to being 24 hour stores after the lockdowns in the spring, and I don't think it's covid related. Some of the employees have hinted that the stores realized how much shoplifting/profit loss was going on overnight and that they have decided they will not be changing their hours back at all in the future. I would assume that means they decided the ongoing theft was a pretty serious issue that needed to be addressed, one worth the loss of the honest night time shoppers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events