Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 09:57 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,646,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
To be fair - I'll just say "any 3rd party delivery that I've used" - does NOT make sure your order is correct when they pick it up. They grab a bag unwittingly, like a relay race, and drop it off at your door step.

The driver sits and watches you like a hawk until you come out and get it, and at that point snaps a picture that it was "received". This does NOT mean the order was correct, complete, or otherwise satisfactory for the customer.

Drivers have two options:

1.) Sit while I rifle through the bag and check their work, or

2.) Accept the fact that I will use the 3rd party's app to report any discrepancy between what I PAID FOR, and what I received.

I am paying not only a marked up price for the meal (above paper menu prices), but a service fee, delivery fee, AND expected to tip the driver. After all those fees, it better be right, and better not be cold.

About 50% of the time, a side is missing, food is cold (and WET/inedible), or entire entrée was subbed for something completely different without explanation.

I'm not out here placing $40 orders to lie and try to get a free $6 side. The math doesn't work out too well for me to do that. But you'd better believe I'm going to report everything I never received, and everything that was incorrect.

We've pared down our pick of restaurants to ones that output a consistent product, this is limited to a local Mexican place and some fast food / fast casual restaurants that participate in the program(s). It has not stopped the issue completely, however.

As of this month thus far, we've:

1.) Gotten Chick-Fil-A delivered and found one order of fries half-full
2.) Received Panda Express where we ordered sides of rangoon dumplings and spring rolls, and a note that said they subbed spring rolls with another order of rangoon, but the quantity received was that of a single order of rangoon.

I'll keep reporting until they either tighten up operations or kick me off the platform.
What? They can't open sealed bags to check what is inside.

It's not 'their work' you are checking, it's the restaurant's. Their work is picking up and delivering only. If something is wrong or missing, they aren't going back, I don't know why you check it while they are still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 11:24 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,524,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
While we're confirming facts, has there been any confirmation - aside from the accusations by the driver - that the store employee received or even requested a refund? And if so, how does the exact time of request compare with the exact time of delivery?
What happens is after you make the delivery the driver will be notified shortly after that the customer is reporting that they did not receive the order. This happened to me on Grub Hub, I won't go into the details. But GH had my back when I told them I had made the delivery, the customer has an issue that I explained.

The only reason customers do this is they know they will not be billed for the meal that they received. Why else would she go to the trouble of making that report while she was working? It happens to ride share drivers too, customers have learned if they make a false allegation they will get out of paying for the ride. This happened to me as well with UberEats. Despite providing video time stamped proof from my dashcam that nobody else was driving on my account they refused to remove the violation. So even though I was not deactivated I have no interest in making them money, so I drive for their competitors. This is why drivers despise customers as well as all the app companies, so many have lost their jobs unfairly and they are powerless to dispute the charges.

It is obvious that this is what happened which is why the DD driver confronted the customer in this instance, the driver's claim was backed up when CVS confirmed they had watched the video and backed her story.

With all that said as I posted earlier she had to be fired, DD can't allow their drivers to confront customers even though she was right. But it's not like getting fired from CVS, the driver can simply sign up with other apps, there are several options.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-18-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-18-2020, 11:25 AM

51,230 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
EXACTLY! Bizarre to blame the delivery driver for improperly prepared or packaged items.
She'd be fired for conducting herself in an unprofessional manner while on the job. If she's at work she's the face of the company, even if it's over a personal matter she still isn't allowed to curse people out and act like a street urchin in front of customers. It creates a very negative image of the company.

However if they investigate and find she did intentionally misrepresent the facts of the delivery, they can fire her for her lack of ethics.
In this case however the driver was going to be held financially responsible for the missing food. I do not blame her one bit. People keep using terms like fired as if she was an employee. She wasn’t. If she was actually an employee they would not be able to hold her responsible for the price of the food. As a contractor they can treat people in whatever shabby way they want to. I understand that she did not behave professionally, and I do understand that part of it, but being held financially responsible for someone else’s lie when you were simply struggling to put food on your own table, could make anyone go off.

I just realized you were talking about the CVS manager!

Old 12-18-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
She was supposed to report it to her employer and not personally confront the customer at all.

And lucky for the driver it was a place of business. A driver that returns to someone's house badgering someone like that and refusing to leave could get legally shot in some states.
Doordash drivers do not have an option to report things to their employer. It does not work like that there is really no communication in these contractor situations. Just like when my friend who drove for Uber and lift had someone report that she was drunk just to get out of paying for the ride, there was no one that my friend could call and give her side of the story too. It doesn’t work like that. It’s not an employee/employer situation, where you can go to a supervisor or something.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:39 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,524,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
In this case however the driver was going to be held financially responsible for the missing food. I do not blame her one bit. People keep using terms like fired as if she was an employee. She wasn’t. If she was actually an employee they would not be able to hold her responsible for the price of the food. As a contractor they can treat people in whatever shabby way they want to. I understand that she did not behave professionally, and I do understand that part of it, but being held financially responsible for someone else’s lie when you were simply struggling to put food on your own table, could make anyone go off.

I just realized you were talking about the CVS manager!
No we are not responsible for paying for the cost of the delivery that was reported not delivered. But if it happens more than a few times you will be gone and are powerless to fight the charge. With every one, including Uber and Lyft, there is support you can contact. But as I said they don't help out the driver. Despite me showing time stamped PROOF all I got was "we noted this infraction from your perspective". So yeah drivers hate these customers and they REALLY hate the app companies. And for good reason.

First article says the driver had the opportunity to take a pic, which is what I do now with every delivery. But I've also heard from drivers who even with a picture and the app's ability to track the driver via GPS they have little recourse. Bottom line is the drivers are all but powerless to fight these false claims and customers who make them are horrible people.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
No we are not responsible for paying for the cost of the delivery that was reported not delivered. But if it happens more than a few times you will be gone and are powerless to fight the charge.

First article says the driver had the opportunity to take a pic, which is what I do now with every delivery. But I've also heard from drivers who even with a picture and the app's ability to track the driver via GPS they have little recourse. Bottom line is the drivers are all but powerless to fight these false claims and customers who make them are horrible people.
Sorry, I must’ve misread. I thought the article said she was going to have to pay for it. I’m glad to see that she was not going to have to. Yes my friend who drives for Uber/Lyft complainer a lot about the false claims. She is now reluctant to take riders on long trips, as those are the riders most likely to want to get out of paying.

She was suspended multiple times because of false claims. But she is lucky, she is a stay at home mother who was just doing this while her kids are in school for pin money, not trying to make a living from it.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:04 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,090,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
That belly tells the tale
The driver should prevail
She delivered the grub
Which was scarfed by the tub
Oh, such a lying whale
In this morning's quest to fill time
I strived to partake in some rhyme
So to C-D I checked in
And read me some Finn
LOL'ing can be oh so sublime

Old 12-18-2020, 12:53 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,657,439 times
By the way to ALL of YOU who Order from Door Dash / Uber Eats/ Grub Hub etc. When you Order you Food after the Sun has gone down please turn on your Porch Lights so we can find your Address instead of us having to drive around aimlessly for minutes trying to figure out where you are.
GPS doesn't always take you to the right place.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
By the way to ALL of YOU who Order from Door Dash / Uber Eats/ Grub Hub etc. When you Order you Food after the Sun has gone down please turn on your Porch Lights so we can find your Address instead of us having to drive around aimlessly for minutes trying to figure out where you are.
GPS doesn't always take you to the right place.
You should have delivered Dominos in the early 80’s with me. We had a giant map on the wall, that was the extent of the map program lol. It was 30 minutes or free so people would turn off all the outside lights to make us late!

So the scams aren’t new, just that it used to affect big companies now it’s workers who get affected. I usually got a better tip if they got their pizza free.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:33 PM

23,176 posts, read 12,311,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
The only reason customers do this is they know they will not be billed for the meal that they received. Why else would she go to the trouble of making that report while she was working? It happens to ride share drivers too, customers have learned if they make a false allegation they will get out of paying for the ride. This happened to me as well with UberEats. Despite providing video time stamped proof from my dashcam that nobody else was driving on my account they refused to remove the violation. So even though I was not deactivated I have no interest in making them money, so I drive for their competitors. This is why drivers despise customers as well as all the app companies, so many have lost their jobs unfairly and they are powerless to dispute the charges.

It is obvious that this is what happened which is why the DD driver confronted the customer in this instance, the driver's claim was backed up when CVS confirmed they had watched the video and backed her story.

It's not obvious to me that is what happened. All that CVS has confirmed is that a delivery was made. It did not confirm that it was made before the complaint with DD or even that there was a complaint.

I'm not saying the driver isn't right or that the employee isn't scamming, I'm saying there has been no evidence presented proving that. It's concerning how people are so quick to indict and convict based on one person's accusations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events