Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 12:38 PM

50,878 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The issue is there are so many outlets to use. Way too many to monitor and they can shut down and open another one in minutes. It’s not like they’re using Facebook and Snapchat or Instagram. That’s way too visible and on the radar. They’re going to fly under the radar as much as possible. It’s impossible to keep up with all the sites being created constantly. It doesn’t have to be pretty it has to be functional.
I don't think that's correct. I think those are the sites they are using (just as flash mobs of all types have been using FB for years to organize. As another poster stated, they aren't spelling out what they are doing, just posting something like "the gathering is tomorrow at 1pm at such and such place". I don't think they are creating their own websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 12:44 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,481,532 times
What earthly difference does it make whether these kid-punks are organizing on Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram or any other social media?

The problem is deep rooted in the dysfunctional households, not on social media.

Old 12-03-2021, 03:59 PM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think that's correct. I think those are the sites they are using (just as flash mobs of all types have been using FB for years to organize. As another poster stated, they aren't spelling out what they are doing, just posting something like "the gathering is tomorrow at 1pm at such and such place". I don't think they are creating their own websites.
They could just as well be using texts through any number of providers.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:41 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That would be violation of freedom of speech, right?
Never stopped Twitter or Facebook before, when it was simple political speech. Not sure why using it to plot criminal actions is acceptable. Of course, the let some of the world's worst terrorists and butchers have accounts, so why not?

Old 12-03-2021, 04:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,087,229 times
I agree that the problem has deep roots in dysfunctional households.
We do have to wonder where all these dysfunctional household are coming from.
They darn sure were not around in these numbers when I was a kid.

Sure there was always a family that had a dysfunctional drunkard as a parent but those situations were very scarce.
These bad families are not that scarce anymore.
These crimes are now catch and release.
Why would people be deterred from these crimes when they are just let go ?

This problem is a policy problem.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They could just as well be using texts through any number of providers.
They’re inviting strangers though, so they would have to know the phone numbers of everyone to use text.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I agree that the problem has deep roots in dysfunctional households.
We do have to wonder where all these dysfunctional household are coming from.
They darn sure were not around in these numbers when I was a kid.

Sure there was always a family that had a dysfunctional drunkard as a parent but those situations were very scarce.
These bad families are not that scarce anymore.
These crimes are now catch and release.
Why would people be deterred from these crimes when they are just let go ?

This problem is a policy problem.
It’s not so much dysfunctional families, it’s separated families, and the lack of fathers in kids lives. It’s a lack of role models in the environment that they live in. It is a very deep and complicated problem and poverty has a lot to do with it too. When you grow up and it was basically a war zone, it’s going to be hard to fit into regular society.I do believe the solutions have to start within the community.

Well I understand that simply locking people up if they go to solution and seems to make sense, the evidence is that it has never worked. We have more people incarcerated than any country in the world by far, and it is done nothing to reduce our crime rate.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:17 AM

13,801 posts, read 8,032,288 times
Quote:
They’re inviting strangers though, so they would have to know the phone numbers of everyone to use text.
80 people hit the store in Walnut Creek recently. My guess the person who organized the "event" passed the info to friends who in turn shared the info with their friends and so on.

Many people had a good time during the summer of 2020 stealing from stores with impunity. Flash mob theft is simply a way to continue this.

However, unlike the summer of 2020 where many of the stores were closed. A flash mob enters while the store is open for business. It's only a matter of time before they (flash mob robberies) begin to spiral out of control and employees/customers get robbed or hurt.

Last edited by john3232; 12-04-2021 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-04-2021, 09:35 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,820,138 times
Quote:
Only that someone they know knows someone else.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
80 people hit the store in Walnut Creek recently. My guess the person who organized the "event" passed the info to friends who in turn shared the info with their friends and so on.

Many people had a good time during the summer of 2020 stealing from stores with impunity. Flash mob theft is simply a way to continue this.

However, unlike the summer of 2020 where many of the stores were closed. A flash mob enters while the store is open for business. It's only a matter of time before they (flash mob robberies) begin to spiral out of control and employees/customers get robbed or hurt.
It isn't any different than the gangs on ATVs and motorcycles who organize on FB and converge on a city to terrorize it. This is what makes social media so different than any other media, and thus potentially much more dangerous. They could not advertise an event like this on the radio or a newspaper, even if left somewhat vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events