Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 10:55 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Being on a bus should have been a safe choice! Those doors are not supposed to open even with force applied (they should stay closed even in a severe road accident). She didn't go bungee jumping. Why shouldn't moms be able to do anything others do? How about dads, are they allowed to have beer or wine or smoke pot?

30th birthday is a big occasion.
So if there was an emergency on the bus and people needed to get out quickly the door shouldnt open to allow that?

It sounds like the door was faulty and should NOT have opened when someone fell into it. Had no one fallen into it this never would have happened. Unfortunately life is not always well padded for drunk adults.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't be able to have fun. I guess i find it ridiculous that everyone is placing the blame solely on the bus company and the mom is just this innocent little thing out drunk at 3am dancing and slamming into bus doors. Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 11:09 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Just to be fair I know of a number of fathers who have taken a vacation from riding motorcycles while their children are young. That doesn't mean they'll never get to ride again. They just choose not to engage in higher risk behavior while they have children to raise. That's an extra responsible parent.

I think it's a good choice and it doesn't last all that long.

I had children myself and have an understanding of how much a young mom needs to get away and have a sense of her own life now and then. Knowing what I know now I would have been more careful about the risks I took when I had children depending on me.

One baby-sitter we had used to be verbally abusive to my son. Daughter said he'd beg to be put to bed the minute we walked out the door. I only learned about this after they were grown. I don't know why they didn't tell us at the time. Maybe they just thought Mom and Dad's nights out were special and that's what they had to pay for it?

I feel badly about that and wish I had been less focused on going out to have a "good time" and more focused on what may have been happening for them when I did. Today the risks seem even greater and I wish the young parents could be more mindful than we were.

A lot of young people don't seem to realize how much danger you can put yourself in when you are around people who are under the influence but we read about it in the news every day. Deaths at baby showers, birthday parties, slumber parties, weddings, all supposed to be good times. What they almost all have in common is alcohol was served.

I dunno. Maybe it's true that every generation has to learn the hard way through experience. And like young people all they think is that someone is trying to take their fun away. Hard to see it any other way, I get it.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:15 AM

I agree. I think everyone, even moms have taken on this 'me' time, self care culture. Or an ok, I'm putting myself first now mindset. When I think of self care I think of maybe doing an at home facial, watching tv, reading...i guess to some moms it's become drinking wine and to others it's partying all night.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:20 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So if there was an emergency on the bus and people needed to get out quickly the door shouldnt open to allow that?

It sounds like the door was faulty and should NOT have opened when someone fell into it. Had no one fallen into it this never would have happened. Unfortunately life is not always well padded for drunk adults.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't be able to have fun. I guess i find it ridiculous that everyone is placing the blame solely on the bus company and the mom is just this innocent little thing out drunk at 3am dancing and slamming into bus doors. Come on.
Of course, but you need to pull up the handle properly like opening the emergency door on a plane. It isn't supposed to open if someone falls against it.

I don't understand the judgement of a 30 year old celebrating her 30th. You don't know if she was drunk at all. She was drinking and dancing but that's all we know. The bus company is at faulty because the door was broken, faulty. It's a party bus, it's made for people to get drunk at 3am.

Its easy to lose balance on a moving bus. You don't have to be drunk at all. I've come close to falling off the toilet when a bus went around a curve. This bus was designed for parties and people dancing, the equipment was faulty.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:21 AM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I agree. I think everyone, even moms have taken on this 'me' time, self care culture. Or an ok, I'm putting myself first now mindset. When I think of self care I think of maybe doing an at home facial, watching tv, reading...i guess to some moms it's become drinking wine and to others it's partying all night.
That's what you would have done to celebrate your 30th birthday? Sit home and read and watch TV?

Old 02-02-2022, 11:28 AM

I remember my 30th birthday. I went out to dinner with family and friends. I had 0 kids, 0 husband. I was in a different situation than someone turning 30 with 5 kids...

Old 02-02-2022, 11:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
I would say people who have brought 5 children (or even one child) into the world should probably make safer choices when celebrating events. They don't have just themselves to think about anymore.

I see moms who have girls nights, girls weekends and that's their choice...I guess i'm glad I got those days out of my system before I had kids. I feel no need to get dressed up, get drunk and have a night out on the town with friends. Just not who i am anymore.

I dont think it's unreasonable to have time to yourself at all....but I also dont think it's unreasonable for others to think that mothers shouldnt be out at 3am drunk.

Should it be ok for mom's to do drugs? Alcohol is a drug...
Of course it is ok for mom's to do drugs. It is also ok for people to go out with friends and drink.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:48 AM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
I remember my 30th birthday. I went out to dinner with family and friends. I had 0 kids, 0 husband. I was in a different situation than someone turning 30 with 5 kids...
My wife typically has 5+ birthday celebrations during the month of her birthday. Some with family and some with friends. I also have a few (mainly because my wife puts them together). The fact that you had a dinner with family friends is fine but you criticizing what other people do is silly.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
No one is saying you give up your entire life to have kids. But when you have FIVE kids, yes you do NEED to make some sacrifices.

You really don't think she was drunk at 3 am on a party bus? A bus that she then fell out of? ok.
Why do you think she hasnt made sacrifices for the last 10 years. You and others feel because she has kids (1 or 5 what difference does it make) she should not allow herself to accept this gift from her husband for her milestone 30th birthday, for one night.

I have no idea how much she had to drink. I have no idea how the accident happened, if it was negligence from not securing the door properly or her own stupidity. I would assume that will be investigated. Why would it matter, parents are allowed to get drunk on occasion as long as their children are being properly cared for, but I dont assume she was drunk, no.

Old 02-02-2022, 11:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Exactly. I'm not sure why that question was even asked.
The old double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events