Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 03:17 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I guess not. Why does that bother you?
I can't speak for msRB311....but there's a general sense that the type of people in the U.S. who have 5 kids by age 29 are often not really able to raise their kids in a decent way--leading to a lot of social problems down the line (income/wealth inequality, etc.). Someone with 5 kids partying on a bus at 3 AM feeds that suspicion. It also feeds into an underlying frustration that people have because we feel our country is in decline and this is just one of many examples of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 03:22 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I can't speak for msRB311....but there's a general sense that the type of people in the U.S. who have 5 kids by age 29 are often not really able to raise their kids in a decent way--leading to a lot of social problems down the line (income/wealth inequality, etc.). Someone with 5 kids partying on a bus at 3 AM feeds that suspicion.

Would the fact that she has a Hispanic last name have anything to do with these assumptions? I mean, there's really NOTHING to indicate that these kids were neglected in any way...and she's being judged for going out and having fun on her milestone birthday.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I can't speak for msRB311....but there's a general sense that the type of people in the U.S. who have 5 kids by age 29 are often not really able to raise their kids in a decent way--leading to a lot of social problems down the line (income/wealth inequality, etc.). Someone with 5 kids partying on a bus at 3 AM feeds that suspicion. It also feeds into an underlying frustration that people have because we feel our country is in decline and this is just one of many examples of it.
Yeah, you're speaking for yourself. You can't pay for a party bus with SNAP benefits. To me, it means that the family is able to provide a few luxuries for themselves on special occasions.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:20 PM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, you're speaking for yourself. You can't pay for a party bus with SNAP benefits. To me, it means that the family is able to provide a few luxuries for themselves on special occasions.
No one said she was collecting any type of benefits. We also don't know if she paid for any portion of the bus...it was her birthday so I'm guessing she didnt pay. I dont think going out and getting drunk at 29 is a big deal.. Now if you're a mother with 5 kids it's kind of a different story. Different strokes for different folks...but this one didnt end well

Old 02-01-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
No one said she was collecting any type of benefits. We also don't know if she paid for any portion of the bus...it was her birthday so I'm guessing she didnt pay. I dont think going out and getting drunk at 29 is a big deal.. Now if you're a mother with 5 kids it's kind of a different story. Different strokes for different folks...but this one didnt end well
It was strongly implied in another post.

She had as much right to "get drunk" as anyone else provided her kids were being cared for, and it sounds as if they were.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:35 PM

16,359 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default Re

Quote:
It was strongly implied in another post.

She had as much right to "get drunk" as anyone else provided her kids were being cared for, and it sounds as if they were.
This just sounds ridiculous but ok. Any fool can get drunk just as any fool can have a baby (well unless they’re infertile). I’m not so sure a good mom leaves 5 kids at home to get drunk all night. Even once.

Going to a nice dinner with friends and home by a decent hour or even midnight probably would have been a better option

I think the fact that she died is why people are being judgey of what she did. She could have gone away for the weekend for all I care and left the kids with a babysitter. But the fact that it’s now known that she fell out of a bus is kind of like damn probably should have done something that didn’t involve alcohol on a bus when you have 5 kids at home.

She could have gotten in a car accident on her own and left behind 5 kids. But that’s not what happened.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Would the fact that she has a Hispanic last name have anything to do with these assumptions?
No. But the fact that so many people view everything through a racial/ethnic lens these days (and are encouraged to do so) is also yet another indicator of decline. It's a method used by powerful people to pit ordinary people against each other.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're speaking for yourself.
So be it. Whether they are poor or not, I don't think being out at 3 AM is a good thing for a parent of 5 kids. It that makes me judgy, I don't care.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:05 PM

^yeah, the funny thing is is that the chances getting involved in a fatal car crash while driving to or from a nice restaurant or weekend away even if she'd stayed stone-cold sober the entire time are probably quite a bit better than falling out of a party bus.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:35 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Sounds like she was living a fly by the seat of your pants kind of life. Who the heck has 5 kids by age 29?

Also sounds like they'll be looking for a payout from the bus company. I mean it's one thing to take a bus so you don't have to drive yourself...it's another to be smashed, dancing on a bus at 3am and fall out the back door. I'm guessing it wasn't the bus company or the driver who opened the back door.

All that aside it's sad that she died but if you engage in risky behavior bad things can happen...and the family should just accept that and not be blaming the bus company
I think that remains to be determined. It doesn't seem her behavior is out of the realm of possibility for people partying on a party bus. It should have reasonable precautions in place - if they didn't then they are at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events