Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 03:50 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,932,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So, a good job and benefits are all a woman wants or needs from life? Or a man, for that matter? Count me as another who isn't surprised by what she did. Although I doubt if the ex-husband's recent death had anything to do with it since he was an ex-husband and the two Whites had been fooling around for the past two years.
But what was she gaining from this? A good, stable life is something many of us dream of--being able to retire and have a stable foundation. Now I am a believer in the Lord so of course I believe none of that matters if you don't have Jesus in your life; however, those things sure help to keep worry and hardship out of your life. They certainly do not make you happy, but they can make happiness easier to have (and actually before I was converted I was pretty darn happy with the life I was making out for myself at my age).

I'm one of those who does not understand what she did. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around throwing a good solid life ahead of you for a jail sentence, poverty and death. It's just not me. But I don't need adventure, a sense of "what have I done in life to stand out" or a sizzling romance. It seems from my limited perspective that's about all she got in exchange for what she threw away. None of those things really mean much to me. I'd much rather have a good retirement ahead of me. But then, that's me.

(And as I said in a previous thread, if she was about to jump off a cliff in her mind about the prospect of taking care of her elderly folks for the remainder of her good years, she could have just vanished without a trace instead of letting a convicted murderer out on the streets. I mean, they're not having anyone take care of them now so the same thing would have been accomplished).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
For Metlakatla, this article also talks about how on Tuesday it wasn't clear that she had shot herself. The reporter says something like, "When Casey was arrested he spoke of how his 'wife' shot herself, but of course we were looking into that to verify it" or something along those lines (I have to leave for a cpr class, so I don't have time to go back and get the exact words). So there was speculation among official reporters and people like that as to if it was her or Casey who shot her. However, I believe the autopsy report has now confirmed that she did shoot herself (but for a couple days there was speculation going on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
She lost an ex to Parkinson's just this January (she continued to be involved in his life / care even after they separated), had no kids, and was facing what looked to be a lonely older age. Everyone all over social media couldn't get in enough comments about what a dog she was, looks-wise. I'm surprised by why people are so surprised by what she did. Can't get no love or comfort from an empty house and good job benefits. Come to think of it, it can be a living death. Maybe that's how she saw it.
I disagree. My husband passed away unexpectedly (we had no children) and I have an empty house and (at least as of the current day) good job benefits. I don't see it as a living death. Though I miss my husband terribly, my life is still meaningful and (though I don't have the happiness I once had) there are still pleasant times. If your happiness depends on having a partner in your life, that is a recipe for disaster. And as others are pointing out, if she was that desperate to have someone there are other ways to accomplish that instead of letting a convicted murderer out on the streets. Life can be lonely; that's why it's good to establish meaning in your life on your own. As I mentioned above, it's not healthy to depend on others for happiness. They'll often disappoint.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 05-11-2022 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 05:04 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I don't think she was all that unattractive. But then I'm no beauty queen myself.
Agreed, she may not have been a beauty queen but she's not a 'dog' as some posters keep stating. (who still uses that term anymore?) She looks about average, and better than some her age.

Old 05-11-2022, 07:35 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,157,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It would have been more embarrassing if they had not caught them after they had set up base in Evansville for almost a week
True!
Here's a pretty good video of multiple body cams of their capture. They also show them removing vickie from the car. This is the blurred head version for those that would be bothered at the raw footage.
https://youtu.be/aZCPOfwq4Jw

Old 05-11-2022, 08:41 AM

631 posts, read 290,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Agreed, she may not have been a beauty queen but she's not a 'dog' as some posters keep stating. (who still uses that term anymore?) She looks about average, and better than some her age.
For the record, I'm using that word, but paradoxically, as I myself am more sympathetic to Vicky W than most here, and don't think she was that bad looking. However, fact remains that Vicky W has been characterized as very unattractive in the many articles that came out about this case. Perhaps I bring it up because I've read most of them and have seen a fair share of the descriptions. She was said to 'waddle' (I beleive she had a limp, which caused the awkward gait), to be madculinized and rough in her body language, to have loved the tanning bed so much that she looked 75, not 56, and, of course, the age difference, among many other comments in passing. To say that she looks average is a stretch. Shall we take a men's poll as to how they see her on the attractiveness scale?

And the irony is, I am deeply resentful of the way she's been characterized, both looks-wise and in her character. She was a lonely person who longed for some semblance of intimacy. She was not interested in 'purchasing' that abroad, let's say, as Rocko suggested, because, well, that's bought shallow goods. She clearly formed a personal bond with the prisoner.

And, for the record as well, I think that an ugly person can be beautiful when they shine with kindness and generosity, just as a pretty person's features can turn repugnant when they are personally bankrupt of character.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

I disagree. My husband passed away unexpectedly (we had no children) and I have an empty house and (at least as of the current day) good job benefits. I don't see it as a living death. Though I miss my husband terribly, my life is still meaningful and (though I don't have the happiness I once had) there are still pleasant times. If your happiness depends on having a partner in your life, that is a recipe for disaster. And as others are pointing out, if she was that desperate to have someone there are other ways to accomplish that instead of letting a convicted murderer out on the streets. Life can be lonely; that's why it's good to establish meaning in your life on your own. As I mentioned above, it's not healthy to depend on others for happiness. They'll often disappoint.
You are what they call a sensible person. . It's a solid and good quality, makes for stable societies. I think there's a fundamental disconnect and misunderstanding between those who are sensible, and those who are not. The not-so-sensible are a total mystery to the sensible, as they commit acts driven by passion, impulsivity, and other irrational motives, which often result in a great deal of destructiveness. This is completely mystifying to the sensible person.

You may have made peace with your husband's death, and you don't see your empty house as a living death -- but others in your situation would. You cannot 'persuade' someone out of that experience; you either experience it that way, or you don't. You have inner resources to cope that others don't. Count yourself blessed!

Last edited by Timaea; 05-11-2022 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 09:22 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
https://apnews.com/article/alabama-3...871dbea0010344

Here is a good, thorough but succinct, summary of everything except for the coroner’s report. It does contain some new info about how they escaped and how they obtained vehicles.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:15 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Casey is dead. She shot herself as they were being captured.
Casey is the guy, she was Vickie.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:45 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
She lost an ex to Parkinson's just this January (she continued to be involved in his life / care even after they separated), had no kids, and was facing what looked to be a lonely older age. Everyone all over social media couldn't get in enough comments about what a dog she was, looks-wise. I'm surprised by why people are so surprised by what she did. Can't get no love or comfort from an empty house and good job benefits. Come to think of it, it can be a living death. Maybe that's how she saw it.
What's a "living death" for some can be the time of their life for others. Who gives in to boredom and an inability to fill their life with meaning and who doesn't, is not dependent on having a partner. Many a bored housewife shuffled through the motions of a life that was, in fact, a living death. Knowing Vicky's history for making poor choices in partners (a druggie, then eventually--a murderer), we shouldn't expect that inviting another warm body into her life would change anything for her. In fact, it killed her. Finding a partner can cause more problems than it solves.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's a "living death" for some can be the time of their life for others. Who gives in to boredom and an inability to fill their life with meaning and who doesn't is not dependent on having a partner. Many a bored housewife shuffled through the motions of a life that was, in fact, a living death. Knowing Vicky's history for making poor choices in partners (a druggie, then eventually--a murderer), we shouldn't expect that inviting another warm body into her life would change anything for her. In fact, it killed her. Finding a partner can cause more problems than it solves.
I don't think she would disagree. She was prepared to die for her choice, and carried through on her resolve to die if it came to that.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:10 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
I don't think she would disagree. She was prepared to die for her choice, and carried through on her resolve to die if it came to that.
That's very sad. I wonder what it might have been in her background, that gave her so little to live for. No hobbies, no impulse to get involved in the community in some way, to be a positive influence. Her mother (or was it her MIL) said, she was the type, who wanted to help people. V. could have expressed that by finding a charity to devote herself to, or a cause of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events