Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 09:23 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's very different in the military IMO. You can quit and work in a different company in the outside world. These people are basically captive and required to follow orders and obey superiors. It has to be this way for military readiness for war. So when these situations arise in the military it must be stamped out. It is not "personal choice". It is wrong.
We are not required to follow unlawful orders.

This guy should have been kicked in the you know what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 10:13 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We are not required to follow unlawful orders.

This guy should have been kicked in the you know what.
The woman in question didn’t know it was unlawful at the time. It sounds like he just told her to stand at attention, at which point he leaned in and assaulted her. I don’t think people in an office environment typically think that standing at attention is going to result in sexual assault. It’s not like he was like “please come into this dimly lit and otherwise unstaffed storage room with me for no good reason.”

Old 05-24-2022, 10:27 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The woman in question didn’t know it was unlawful at the time. It sounds like he just told her to stand at attention, at which point he leaned in and assaulted her. I don’t think people in an office environment typically think that standing at attention is going to result in sexual assault. It’s not like he was like “please come into this dimly lit and otherwise unstaffed storage room with me for no good reason.”
had he not been telling everyone exactly what he was going to do?

Old 05-24-2022, 10:30 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:

He told his buddies, not her.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:45 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
This story makes me sad and angry every time I think about it, and some of the male responses here.

Old 05-24-2022, 02:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This story makes me sad and angry every time I think about it, and some of the male responses here.
And some of the female responses aren't any better.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-24-2022 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 05:57 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
He said he was going to do that at a promotion ceremony, which is why she declined the promotion ceremony.

I doubt she thought he'd do it right there in the open workcenter in front of the entire office. I don't think anyone thought he'd do something like that.

Just this morning, I discussed this with a male retired Air Force colonel and a female retired Marine colonel (husband and wife), and they were both aghast and incredulous that anyone was such an idiot. The normal response is to Google it, because it's just that hard to believe. They also both find it hard to believe he was not dismissed with removal of his retirement benefits.

OTOH, the Reserves can be a world of a different mindset from active duty.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He said he was going to do that at a promotion ceremony, which is why she declined the promotion ceremony.

I doubt she thought he'd do it right there in the open workcenter in front of the entire office. I don't think anyone thought he'd do something like that.

Just this morning, I discussed this with a male retired Air Force colonel and a female retired Marine colonel (husband and wife), and they were both aghast and incredulous that anyone was such an idiot. The normal response is to Google it, because it's just that hard to believe. They also both find it hard to believe he was not dismissed with removal of his retirement benefits.

OTOH, the Reserves can be a world of a different mindset from active duty.
I think it’s hard to believe within any work environment. FWIW, I had a coworker who was in the reserves. He was blatantly sexist in some regards and told us that his CO talked to him regularly about how his behavior was not appropriate. I’m not talking anything remotely sexual in nature. For example, he refused to be in a vehicle where a woman was driving.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:45 PM

16,551 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What are you talking about?

There is no IF. He assaulted her in front of work colleagues after ordering her to stand.

As for remember when...no, I wasn't yet born in 1948 when the Women's Armed Services Integration Act was signed into law officially allowing women to serve as full, permanent members of all branches of the Armed Forces. Do you? How silly that you think that women's service is a new thing WTF.

There you go again. "Harmless" sexual aggression at work. "Playful" sexual assault.

God, the extent some of you males will go to defend your perverted bros. But consider how you would react if your boss felt free to grab your genitals in front of your coworkers as a show of dominance.
I am still not sure exactly what motorboating is, and only have the suspicion of what it is based on the movie clip I posted. So if it is putting ones head into a woman's cleavage and blowing air, I am not sure that is a sexual assault.
[sure by todays leftist standards even verbally complimenting a woman can get you in trouble, but lets not reduce sexual assault to minor incidents, when compared to the serious stuff that is totally unacceptable]
Sure it is not appropriate, and why he would do such a thing seems crazy (maybe he was drunk or high), but should he entire career and pension be trashed over the fact he did something stupid that otherwise wouldn't have happened if not for women being in the military.
I am not blaming her, rather the fools that in the past claiming there would be no problem with having young men and women in close proximity with each other. The guys are there to be trained to be killers, not be thinking about women they will see every day.
Heck the activists want women on submarines, which if you understand what serving on a sub is like, inadvertent body contact is going to occur as part of daily life.

I am not talking about women serving at all, just that they have no business in combat, as the standards are always lowered for their physical inabilities, instead of the team being the best warrior fighting force possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
Hmmmmm. You make a strong case for men being barred from military service.

I am sure some would love that, but when it comes to boots on the ground in harms way, you do not want to have a bunch of women you must depend your life on.
I'd bet if you had a son who was going into battle, you wouldn't want him to entrust his life to the physical weakness of a woman who could not pass the physical standards all the guys had to.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
What the...I'm dizzy from the poorly performed mental gymnastics here.

Quote:
So if it is putting ones head into a woman's cleavage and blowing air, I am not sure that is a sexual assault.
It legally qualifies as such.

Quote:
I am not blaming her, rather the fools that in the past claiming there would be no problem with having young men and women in close proximity with each other.
The captain was an old guy, not some fresh young pup with bad judgement because he was "trained to be a killer."

Quote:
but should he entire career and pension be trashed over the fact he did something stupid that otherwise wouldn't have happened if not for women being in the military
Maybe you missed the part where he gets to keep his pension?

Quote:
I am not talking about women serving at all, just that they have no business in combat,
I don't think you understand. This didn't happen on the middle of a battlefield or otherwise "in combat." It happened in an office.

SMH.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-24-2022 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events