Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 02:57 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times

Advertisements

In my humble opinion, she should have instituted a new military policy at the very moment the Motorboating began. She could have begun a new tradition called Kneeballing. After all, what's fair for the Goose is equally fair for the Gander, even if it changes his "honking" an octave or two higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 04:18 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar...7fe3192e997058

I'm hoping this thread can stay here. I don't generally follow military stuff, but came across this article, and I thought it was appropriate for Current Events. But if it should be moved, I'm fine with that.

"A former Louisiana National Guard officer was allowed to retire after a general court-martial convicted him of charges stemming from 'motorboating' a subordinate soldier during an informal promotion ceremony while deployed to Jordan in May 2021, Army Times has confirmed."

Sigh...why do I think alcohol was involved? The article says this was an 'informal promotion ceremony' which makes me think 'party' with lots of alcohol flowing. Still...he was her comanding officer...seriously...he should've known better.

Water Boarding! Not motorboating

Old 05-21-2022, 09:23 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Here is a good response.

https://fb.watch/d9pwEtFZj2/

It's really hard to imagine from my own service (which includes joint service with soldiers, sailors, and Marines) the kind of overall and continuing atmosphere that made it possible for this captain to think he could do something like that, even to the point of bragging about it to junior enlisted before doing it.

The day-to-day atmosphere in that unit must have been nearly unbearable.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:02 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Water Boarding! Not motorboating
No, not waterboarding.

Quote:
Motorboating...
It means the activity of putting one's face between a woman's breasts, and rocking turning one's head rapidly from side to side while making a noise like a motorboat.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=motorboating

Old 05-22-2022, 08:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
This is basically someone higher rank/position intimidating a subordinate, for the purpose of sex...

sorry to say this, but it happens every day in cities thru out the country, and has been happening for decades, with no sign of stopping or slowing down.

Ultimately, people are people, this IS JUST GOING TO happen, how people deal with it varies, some consider it abuse, others have no problem with it and see it as their way to possibly climb the ladder.

There is no right or wrong choice, it varies from person to person, sure its not exactly 'moral or ethical', but plenty of people have climbed to positions of success in less than moral ways, its up the individual on if they want to take part in this kind of thing imo.

Its absurd to try to regulate it though, its going to happen despite the rules being in place.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:52 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Its absurd to try to regulate it though, its going to happen despite the rules being in place.
Um... Pretty sure I'd be, first of all, fired in a heartbeat if I did this at work, and second, likely in jail.

Old 05-22-2022, 09:54 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,982,376 times
No way should he get to keep his retirement. Officers need to be held to the highest standards, or at least as high as the ones they insist enlisted personnel be held to.

Back in the mid-'80s I was stationed in Scotland in the Navy. We had a captain, Captain Demech was his name, who loved having enlisted men sent to Captain's Mast so he could dish out punishment. He ordered a pop drug test and a Petty Officer 1st class got busted. He was two weeks shy of 20 years in the Navy and was celebrating his upcoming retirement. Obviously in way he shouldn't have, but he received the harsh punishment of a dishonorable discharge and of course having his retirement taken from him. All things considered, a little more appreciation for the man's service by the Captain could have/should have seen a lesser punishment in my view.

That was the same captain that tried catching me on pop drug tests, including the one that saw that petty officer get busted. A 'friend' of mine that I told a personal story to when I first got to Scotland that included a little bit of partying I did with friends back on home while on leave before going overseas, told 'ol Captain Demech I smoked marijuana on leave. After that he was after me. Had two funerals that I went back to the states for five months apart. Both times I came back to a pop drug test, last digit of my SSN just happened to come up. Must have had my number come up four times. Finally, at a monthly meeting we had to attend in the theater the Captain told us he was informed someone smoked marijuana every time they went home on leave, and he was trying to catch that person. Never caught me. I outwitted the little man. Thank you apple cider vinegar for helping ruin the drug tests. Not sure if it works today but back then if you drank enough vinegar it would ruin the results. Ironically, I hardly touched marijuana or anything else when I was home on leave, usually not at all. Just happened after basic and specialty schooling I went home on leave and knew it was the last time I'd probably see some of my friends, so we partied a little. Wasn't even that much.

Ironically, the friend that tried getting me in trouble for pot had his own issue he was dealing with. One he could have gotten kicked out of the Navy for. I knew he tried getting me in trouble but couldn't do the same to him. I was way too nice back then.

The officer who assaulted the enlisted woman deserves to have his retirement yanked, no doubt about it. So much wrong with our military leadership these days, a reflection of what is happening in D.C..

Old 05-22-2022, 10:02 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
Quote:
This is basically someone higher rank/position intimidating a subordinate, for the purpose of sex...

sorry to say this, but it happens every day in cities thru out the country, and has been happening for decades, with no sign of stopping or slowing down.

Ultimately, people are people, this IS JUST GOING TO happen, how people deal with it varies, some consider it abuse, others have no problem with it and see it as their way to possibly climb the ladder.

There is no right or wrong choice, it varies from person to person, sure its not exactly 'moral or ethical', but plenty of people have climbed to positions of success in less than moral ways, its up the individual on if they want to take part in this kind of thing imo.

You think there should be no prohibitions against this form of sexual assault? The vast majority of women do have a problem with it, get treated like it's somehow their fault, and then have someone else tell them they shouldn't have a problem with it. Disgusting.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:07 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:

So it’s okay for a perpetrator to do this to a victim who was clearly unwilling? We should just accept it because “it is just going to happen”? This seems to be a classic case of blaming the victim, when it is not the victim’s fault. She went out of her way to avoid the informal promotion event and was then victimized when she was minding her own business at her desk.

The only way to stop this from happening is to show no tolerance for it, particularly when it is in public and witnessed by many others. What example does that set for others?

Old 05-22-2022, 01:29 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I don't think he should lose his retirement completely, but he should be demoted for conduct unbecoming an officer, then separated from the military at the lower pension.

He's a pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events