Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 02:57 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I would think it would actually hurt the company that got recalled, and people would pick another brand the next time.
And of course not realizing that JIF produces peanut butter (and PB products) for multiple other companies, especially store brands... Kind of like how Great Value PB is made by Peter Pan.

Makes me wonder how many brands whose product comes from JIF are keeping their mouths shut for fear of reduced sales/repercussions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 03:36 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
And now you'll probably go out and buy another 2 or 3 big jars of peanut butter to replace what you threw away. I wouldn't be surprised if the salmonella scare was just drummed up in order to sell more peanut butter to replace all the jars that were thrown away.
Yes, I probably will, but I'll pay careful attention to the lot number. I'll probably buy a couple smaller jars of a different brand more immediately though.

I like to make sure I have those big jars from Costco on hand for when Hurricane season kicks off as part of my food and water stockpile. Normally, I don't use such large jars. I buy a lot of water and shelf stable foods in April/May and then once the season ends, I work my way through it for a few months.

Old 05-24-2022, 04:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
And of course not realizing that JIF produces peanut butter (and PB products) for multiple other companies, especially store brands... Kind of like how Great Value PB is made by Peter Pan.

Makes me wonder how many brands whose product comes from JIF are keeping their mouths shut for fear of reduced sales/repercussions.
That's strange. We hate Peter Pan peanut butter, but we like Great Value brand. Our favorite is JIF though.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:07 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post

They aren't keeping their mouths shut...there's already recalls out for other products.

The FDA has a website with recalls. Take a look at how many recalls issued today due to inclusion of peanut butter.

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-m...-safety-alerts

Old 05-24-2022, 05:07 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That's strange. We hate Peter Pan peanut butter, but we like Great Value brand. Our favorite is JIF though.
They adjust the recipes to a degree to differentiate from each other. But it is still made Peter Pan.

Old 05-24-2022, 05:20 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Mine is not in the Lot number sequence but is in the UPC listing.

Been eating it for months so now what? Maybe every jar is not contaminated....
I have a jar that is nearly halfway eaten. I have had no signs of illness. I'm not throwing it out.

Old 05-24-2022, 06:16 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
All natural PB in my house. Just peanuts & salt.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
All natural PB in my house. Just peanuts & salt.
There have been recalls to raw and roasted peanuts too due to salmonella. Natural peanut butter isn't immune to such things.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:34 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I just got an email from Walmart saying I could have bought an 8 pk of smooth Jif
I will have to check
I ate pnut butter sandwich a few days ago wo any problems but I have 2nd pk I haven’t started to use

Old 05-25-2022, 06:24 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There have been recalls to raw and roasted peanuts too due to salmonella. Natural peanut butter isn't immune to such things.
I don't think lotta was suggesting that natural peanut butter is immune to salmonella. Just that they aren't affected by this particular recall.

I don't use JIF either. I get the generic PB with just nuts and salt. It's cheaper, tastes better, has no sugar or palm oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events