Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I understand that we can’t expect privacy in public, but I do not want the government putting cameras everywhere. That seems like a huge escalation of the surveillance state and we already are nearly as far as we can go on that front.
I personally am liking that there are cameras everywhere. On NextdoorNeighbor App, we're seeing who is stealing packages off porches. We're seeing who's breaking into cars, and who's wrecking into parked cars on the street.

I'm really, really liking this. Enough of people crawling around in the night committing crimes, and crashing into cars and speeding off getting away with it.

I really don't see any reason to disagree with cameras in public places unless someone is committing crimes or doing something that would embarrass themselves if the public knew about it. It's not like cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 08:44 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I personally am liking that there are cameras everywhere. On NextdoorNeighbor App, we're seeing who is stealing packages off porches. We're seeing who's breaking into cars, and who's wrecking into parked cars on the street.

I'm really, really liking this. Enough of people crawling around in the night committing crimes, and crashing into cars and speeding off getting away with it.

I really don't see any reason to disagree with cameras in public places unless someone is committing crimes or doing something that would embarrass themselves if the public knew about it. It's not like cameras in bedrooms and bathrooms.
I understand private parties and businesses with cameras. I don’t want the government in that business. That’s all I’m saying.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think that Kaylee had come into town that weekend mostly to spend time with Maddie. I think her late night calls to her ex boyfriend were simply her letting the phone ring, trying to get him to answer it. Maddie then called in case the ex boyfriend was not answering calls from Kaylee. Kaylee's intention of calling her boyfriend was mostly to arrange a time to meet to talk about dog care arrangements. She was moving and going on a trip in January so she wanted to get who was watching the dog while she was on her trip squared away.

He was sleeping and slept through the calls. I'm sure that the police have looked at the security camera footage from his dorm or frat house or wherever he was living to confirm that he was at his own place in the early morning hours of the 13th.

Since Kaylee and Ethan were just visiting that night and this was very likely a planned attack, I'm not convinced that they were the primary targets of the killer.
That makes sense, but also reiterates that he could be none too happy with Kaylee, or none too happy about Kaylee breaking up with him or leaving. I’m inclined to believe it was a stranger but the very weak denial by the police that he is a suspect when they were so adamant about all the other cleared suspects really makes me wonder. And now the police are not releasing as much info to the parents, which I can certainly understand if they’re giving interviews to Inside Edition of all places like the sister did. (What on earth was she thinking?)

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out that Jack DuCouer is the main suspect.

Old 11-28-2022, 09:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it turns out that Jack DuCouer is the main suspect.
There are rumors in Moscow that some of his comments on Kaylee's IG have been creepy and not so appropriate.

I think whoever did it knew the kids. Could have been a customer in the restaurant the two girls worked in, could have been someone targeting Ethan over that fraternity issue, could have been Jack. It doesn't mean that much that LE said he "isn't a suspect."

Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There are rumors in Moscow that some of his comments on Kaylee's IG have been creepy and not so appropriate.

I think whoever did it knew the kids. Could have been a customer in the restaurant the two girls worked in, could have been someone targeting Ethan over that fraternity issue, could have been Jack. It doesn't mean that much that LE said he "isn't a suspect."
I saw several people post about a neighbor named Jeremy, but only because he keeps giving interviews. I looked him up. I suppose he could be. He seems a little too eager to give interviews, but that doesn’t mean much. He could be like Richard Jewell, who everyone suspected of the Atlanta Olympics bombing but turned out to be wrongly accused.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:03 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Here is a layout of the house floorplan.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bed-death.html

Old 11-28-2022, 10:07 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
All of the finger pointing in this case...seems like everyone who pops up on the media's radar screen is a potential suspect.

My guess is that the real killer's name has not even been spoken publicly, yet. The kids might have seen the person around but didn't know or interact with him.

Old 11-28-2022, 11:41 PM

221 posts, read 424,273 times
Poster Nughunter posted the following on another forum https://www.websleuths.com/forums/th...647375/page-32

After putting together all the info I have gathered I have reached the opinion the suspects attended the same frat party as Ethan and Xana on the eve/morn of the murders. IMOO We will have significant answers by end of this week. If lil ol me can piece this together I am confident LE can and has. The shock and fear is now over and the "flapping of the gums" so to speak has begun. Social media does wonders for cases like this.Photos,videos,snaps,instagram,FB all helped me reach my conclusion. Hopefully I am right and the test results will confirm the identity .I'm expecting the person/persons respopnsible will be in custody and charged by weeks end.

Old 11-29-2022, 12:29 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I am thinking the police will give a real update by end of this week in naming a suspect they had their eyes on for quite a while now. There was a lot of evidence to process but I'm confident they will have gone through enough to implicate the suspect in these murders.

I'm sure even the police realize by now that their strategy of being mum, while understandable in order to ensure they have an airtight case against the suspect, is starting to cause unnecessary fear among the general public (especially university students). So I'd hope there is some sense of urgency on the police to release information sooner than later.

At this point the suspect can be anyone among the inner circle of the murdered students, or maybe someone not close to them but still within the same social groups. I don't really take at face value anything the police have said, including all the people they supposedly ruled out as suspects. Remember, this is the same police department that initially stated that the killings were "targeted" and inferred there was no danger to the public (they then changed their tune when people didn't seem to like that characterization).

A lot of good questions addressed here in video below, particularly the second one at time 0:58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75qtMHyKNY

Old 11-29-2022, 03:00 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
I’m not digging the idea of cameras everywhere. If it’s on private residences I’m somewhat okay with it, but when you have the government doing it? Uh, NO!
I'm entirely in favor of cameras in every public place because whatever you do in public, there should be no reason to hide it. I'm in favor of privately-owned cameras in privately-owned places (owners of small businesses of course should be in favor of privately-owned cameras on their business property to deter theft. I consider huge corporations like Wal-mart public places).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I mean the people he came in contact with. It doesn't sound like they were all in bed. But we don't really have enough information to know for sure.
They were not. The coroner had confirmed that officially.

Quote:
but I wanted to see if the police actually said they were all in their beds. I recall them saying they were sleeping when attacks occurred, which in my mind leaves open the possibility that they weren’t necessarily found in their beds. They could have just been surprised and unable to defend themselves like they would have had they been fully awake at the time of the attack. Maybe that’s already been addressed but it’s been on my mind.
Yes, the coroner had confirmed that they were not all in their beds at the time of the attack. Would have to sift through some videos to find it and don't have the time. I'm pretty sure it was on one of the videos here in this thread if you have time to go through them. She did say that the police did mis-speak when saying that they were all asleep at the time of the attack. Since she performed the autopsies, she would know (I just read an article that the coroner doesn't perform autopsies. I thought they did--what does a coroner do then? Well, that's what that coroner for this particular crime said anyway; her last name's Mabutt. If I find the video or where she says it in an article, I'll post it). They all definitely and officially confirmed were not all asleep at the time of the attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm just not seeing a normal college kid doing anything remotely like this. Kaylee was a happy go lucky girl with a bright future and I really can't see her being attracted to a dark, angry boyfriend.

Even at the food truck, Kaylee was carefree and giggly, not a care in the world. If she had been at all scared of her ex she wouldn't be calling him and asking him to come over. Nor would she be reminding him that they shared a dog together. No way would she do that. She and her ex were amicable. I'm sorry that this young guy has been put through such a ringer of speculation. It just adds to the tragedy of the situation.

As for the first part, we just don't know. People do have strange attractions to others who are entirely unlike themselves. It happens.

As for the second, it is tragic but then again I don't think anyone on here knows this guy. I'd like to think he is innocent. He probably is. We just don't know. It fits the usual pattern for it to be him. Most people are killed by their spouse or lover; it's just a fact. Only a minority of murders are committed by strangers. So unfortunately the statistics are not in his favor. Yet, if he is innocent then like I said great and he probably is. Again, we just don't know him at all so we of course can only speculate (and then what happened here is not a typical crime of passion against a partner since four people were killed; so, that definitely tips the scales in his favor. Still, who knows what happened that resulted in these four murders).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Sorry, but when you are on public property or even on private property that is open to the public for business, then you have no reasonable expectation of privacy. Said another way, you can legally be filmed just about anywhere on earth except inside your personal residence.
Right. And unless you have something to hide, why would you care if you're being filmed in public (typically by surveillance cameras that are not in the hands of the general public)? Conspiracy nuts are the only people who would care and the government and just about every other stranger or entity isn't interested in 99% of the population. At least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

And I don't either. Unless you think the government is after you or something (in other words you are one of those paranoid conspiracy people and that is not a rational reason since it's not based in fact but rather in fantasy). Maybe someone can give me a rational factual reason for there not to be cameras in every public place, but I don't think that there is one.

Again, unless you have something to hide, there is no rational reason to be against it.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 11-29-2022 at 03:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events