Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2024, 12:43 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
More importantly, Kate not immediately responding to chemo and quickly returning to public life will lead to new levels of speculation. Charles is older, he has a heir who is an adult and ready. His situation is troubling but not as dramatic. Kate is potentially a Diana in the making and no way in bloody hell will some leave this alone.

Once again it is natural to wonder and natural to discuss this - either with friends on here on a website. What's troubling is how Kate's response to a very difficult and complicated situation is being used to criticize her and as a weapon against the monarchy. Not all motives come from well-meaning concern.
It is interesting that no one is talking about Charles and his medical issues to this extent. I'm not seeing the same speculation and conspiracy and demands for information. He's allowed to be out of the public eye and getting treatment in a way that Kate is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 12:58 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,338,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It is interesting that no one is talking about Charles and his medical issues to this extent. I'm not seeing the same speculation and conspiracy and demands for information. He's allowed to be out of the public eye and getting treatment in a way that Kate is not.
Charles is older and in the natural course of life "allowed to die." Photographs of Charles are combed over for signs of his illness/treatment effects. But that's processed as: he's being "brave." Charles, of course, is the head of state who has a role within Britain's parliamentarian democracy. (Kate does not.) Nothing to criticize since he's carrying on with his duties. The drama will come only if he does not survive his illness and it will center on the new role for Kate and William's family. Kate's situation differs, drama in the present.

KP indicated Kate would like to be able to leave the house, to drive the kids to school and go to markets and requested she not be photographed per the normal 'rules.' Certainly Kate and William must be hoping comments "she doesn't look very well" don't circulate, particularly to the children. It's one thing to be 'weak' from surgery, another from a potentially life-threatening illness.

Not long ago George, Charlotte, and Louis attended their great-grandmothers very elaborate funeral, and presumably they remember their great-grandfather's death. Presumably they also know their grandfather has cancer, and it was a concern and a sadness for their parents. Now their mom does. How are these children supposed to frame these events? Especially if every new detail sets off a new frenzy of public speculation. Their father probably still processes trauma from his mother's untimely death and intense surrounding press attention. That doesn't help the situation.

Last edited by EveryLady; 03-25-2024 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-25-2024, 01:30 PM

16,327 posts, read 8,162,213 times
It seems like the Royal women get more attention than the men in many cases...and yes Charles is older. Older people are expected to come down illnesses...but not so much moms with young kids.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:46 PM

19,617 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It seems like the Royal women get more attention than the men in many cases...and yes Charles is older. Older people are expected to come down illnesses...but not so much moms with young kids.
Also, there's something about a princess, or future princess. Especially an attractive and charismatic one. Diana was beloved and I think Kate is too. But it's like people can't help themselves and don't know where to draw the line.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Also, there's something about a princess, or future princess. Especially an attractive and charismatic one. Diana was beloved and I think Kate is too. But it's like people can't help themselves and don't know where to draw the line.
Yes, I can put my finger on why Kate and Diana get/got so much attention other than they're attractive royals with some of the best clothes I've ever seen.

I'm sure someday everyone will be looking at Charlotte.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:55 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yes, I can put my finger on why Kate and Diana get/got so much attention other than they're attractive royals with some of the best clothes I've ever seen.

I'm sure someday everyone will be looking at Charlotte.
Is not the fascination among Americans partly because of Meghan being American and being involved with the RF?

Do you have articles and a focus on the Danish Royal family? We do. It is because the newly crowned Queen Mary was Australian, born in Hobart and met the now King at the time of the Sydney Olympics. She is very alike the Princess of Wales in both appearance, age and manner. But I would almost put money on the bulk of Americans barely having heard of her.

As far as Charlotte goes, perhaps she will choose to live only partly in the public eye, like Princess Anne, her daughter Zara Tindal and also the daughters of Prince Andrew, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie. The three younger ones are all attractive and well dressed. They seem to get a lot of attention in the Uk media but seem to escape that of the worldwide one to some extent.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:39 PM

The only one I pay attention to these days is Kate. I could care less about Meghan.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:49 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
“...it can be anything in the abdominal cavity — ovary, colon, appendix, stomach,” said Dr. Beth Karlan, a gynecologic oncologist at UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Among women in Britain, the most common types of cancers that affect the abdominal area are those of the bowel, uterus, ovaries, pancreas and kidney, the World Cancer Research Fund says.

Discovering that a patient has cancer only after surgical treatment is “not common, but it’s not rare,” Karlan said.

Experts said that Catherine's prognosis is probably good, based on the fact that she said she was now undergoing “preventative chemotherapy.” Preventative chemotherapy is chemotherapy treatment given after the primary treatment — in Catherine’s case, surgery — that’s intended to reduce the risk that the cancer will come back.

What oncologists can glean from Kate Middleton’s cancer announcement:
https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...l-announcement

Old 03-25-2024, 05:39 PM

6,581 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
Is not the fascination among Americans partly because of Meghan being American and being involved with the RF?

Do you have articles and a focus on the Danish Royal family? We do. It is because the newly crowned Queen Mary was Australian, born in Hobart and met the now King at the time of the Sydney Olympics. She is very alike the Princess of Wales in both appearance, age and manner. But I would almost put money on the bulk of Americans barely having heard of her.

As far as Charlotte goes, perhaps she will choose to live only partly in the public eye, like Princess Anne, her daughter Zara Tindal and also the daughters of Prince Andrew, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie. The three younger ones are all attractive and well dressed. They seem to get a lot of attention in the Uk media but seem to escape that of the worldwide one to some extent.
hah! Maybe for some people but I remember a lot of fascination for Princess Di, and now Kate. WELL before Meghan.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:49 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,338,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think that the more that public figures are open about cancer, the better. This would have the salutary effect of encouraging people to self-monitor and, when possible, get regular checkups. In addition, it would help dispel the stigma of the disease. As life spans expand, cancer is unfortunately along for the ride. I think public figures almost have an obligation to be open.
Kate may well become a future cancer advocate. Certainly some celebrities step forward but they don't necessarily do it right after being diagnosed while still getting chemotherapy. It's not unreasonable a patient should initially focus on their health - certainly during periods of active treatment. An advocate cannot be effective if they themselves are highly stressed, and Kate is said to have been negatively impacted even dismayed by some of the conspiracy theories (the so-called affair) and criticism.

Some special interest groups attempt to use her illness to support their positions. In mainstream publications there might be a nominal nod of sympathy but the text soon turns negative and eventually reveals the author's perspective, for example revulsion towards the former British Empire, or monarchism. Online Harry and Meghan fans use Kate's situation/action to drive home various charges. Who knows if it's true but I saw a headline that Russia and China are using bots in an attempt to stir up trouble for the British political system.

That's a lot to expect a sick young woman to negotiate, at least at this time. Her children haven't even had time to return to school after the cancer announcement. Right now she's explained why she won't be returning to public duties after Easter. That's the update to the initial time estimate she'd be out of public view while recovering from a difficult surgery.

EDITED TO ADD: Once again, I think it natural for well-meaning people to discuss this, and the discussion alone will promote cancer awareness. What's unreasonable to expect Kate herself to join the discussion at this time, and worse criticize her for not doing so.

Last edited by EveryLady; 03-25-2024 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events