Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 11:52 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I see both sides. While I don't condone the hounding and conspiracy theories around this thing, I also don't believe that Kate deserves the same kind of privacy that normal people do. She's not a private citizen, but a public citizens living on the public dole in multi million dollar palaces living a life fully funded by taxpayers. From a public relations standpoint, just having a member of the royal family drop dead (not saying this is Kate's prognosis) after a hidden illness probably wouldn't do much to endear them to the public either, whose support they ultimately need to be written out of law. Just my two cents anyway.

I was reading articles about Catherine, I don't recall if it was before or after the video. One part of the article spoke about Queen Elizabeth ruling when radio and then TV started. These days it's the internet that the royals have to maneuver around.

I do believe that if the Queen were still alive, that she would have suggested Catherine make some sort of statement to quiet down the uproar of people thinking she was already deceased. The Queen believed it was better to "be seen and heard" then to not let people know what was going on. She believed that it was better to offer the public some information.

I agree with you that as a public servant, Catherine and King Charles do not deserve the same sort of privacy that private citizens get. They are the main faces of their nation. If King Charles cancer treatment fails, it will be William and Catherine that move up to King and Queen.

King Charles at 75 has the worst odds as people his age and older do not have the best odds of beating cancers. My MIL had breast cancer in her 70's then again in her early 80's. Doctors would not give her chemo for her 2nd breast cancer diagnosis, but they gave her one dose of chemo when she was in her 80's, she was bedridden, could not get out of bed. It took about 3 months before she passed. My 2nd MIL had oral cancer in her late 70's, they only did radiation, saying chemo would probably kill her. She lived until 92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Kate is being treated at The London Clinic, and the type of cancer had not been announced, so it's all just further speculation.

As for the NHS it generally does a very good job, and a major factor in terms of cancer figures has alwats been over diagnosis, and this is especially true in certain private systems.

Once treatment commences the NHS does a very good job, and it should be noted that many treatments and a lot of scanning equipment such as CT Scanners and MRI were largely invented in the UK.

As for major internationally renowned NHS Oncology (Cancer) Hospitals, such as the Royal Marsden in London, the oldest cancer hospital in the world, they offer private healthcare to international patients.

Thanks. I know nothing about cancer treatments in the UK. I know the US is pretty advanced as people come here from Canada and other countries. Back in 2009 when my hub had stage 4 tonsil cancer, Germany was known for having better treatments. Farrah Fawcett got treatment for her anal cancer there, so did Brett Hudson of the 70's Hudson Brothers group who also had a TV show, Razzle Dazzle.

Brett Hudson had an oral cancer like my husband had except Brett's was a walnut at the base of his tongue IIRC. The US doctors that he saw told him to get his life in order because they had nothing to offer him, considered him to be terminal so he went for treatment in Germany with Farrah, which ended up saving his life. He's done pretty well in the 15+ years since being told to get his affairs in order.

My sons uncle was a cancer drug rep at one of the major US pharmaceutical makers, he used to regularly travel to Germany, so they were using some of the same medications that the US used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 12:01 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
She's 42. I was not mocking anything.

Do I know her personally? Do I care about her? Is she any part of my life? Am I any part of hers?

Sorry being so pragmatic offends some... of course I'm rooting for her. But I really don't care, or won't lose sleep at least.

The second Alex Trebeck got sick I said the same thing.

I have said like 30 times how lovely she is and I'm rooting for her. But yeah, based on what I know I think she's a goner..

I'm sorry I don't bust out violins for celebrities, they are no different than us.

I hope she has a speedy recovery, just like every single other human being afflicted with such a terrible disease.
The bolded...really?

Perhaps you ought to know that, "The overall cancer survival rate was 49 percent in the mid-1970s. It currently sits at 68 percent". In fact: https://www.cancercenter.com/communi...2098%20percent

Old 03-24-2024, 01:34 AM

131 posts, read 39,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The bolded...really?

Perhaps you ought to know that, "The overall cancer survival rate was 49 percent in the mid-1970s. It currently sits at 68 percent". In fact: https://www.cancercenter.com/communi...2098%20percent
What do y'all want me to say?

Will it make everyone feel better If I tell you I'm breaking out into tears over a royal?

Is anyone aware of how many people fight cancer? And I root for each and every one of them. There are several people in my life who have succumbed to it. None were in denial and were very up front and very pragmatic about it.

Kate's situation sounds really bad. I hope she beats it.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:28 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Thanks. I know nothing about cancer treatments in the UK. I know the US is pretty advanced as people come here from Canada and other countries. Back in 2009 when my hub had stage 4 tonsil cancer, Germany was known for having better treatments. Farrah Fawcett got treatment for her anal cancer there, so did Brett Hudson of the 70's Hudson Brothers group who also had a TV show, Razzle Dazzle.

In terms of the UK, the NHS was set up to make sure everyone had access to decent free healthcare including the very poorest and that no one would go without decent free healthcare.

As part of the agreement to set up the NHS, it was agreed that Doctors would only have contracts with the NHS rather than being employees and today General Practitioners (Family Doctors) run their own private practices and are merely paid by the NHS, whilst there are also a private healthcare hospitals and clinics in the UK, and in London it is mainly centred around Harley Street, which has for centuries being a famous street in terms of medical care.

There are also quite a few private hospitals in London (and the UK), including some US Hospital groups, with the US Cleveland Clinic recently opening a new hospital in London and US groups such as HCA also operate hospitals in London, and there are also numerous other private providers including the London Clinic where the Princess has been treated.

On top of this you have the vast NHS University Hospitals, regional cancer centres and there are cancer research hubs including the Institute of Cancer Research in London which is partnered by the Royal Marsden, and which is a globally recognised centre of excellence. Cancer Research UK, one of the largest cancer charities in the world also funds a of research, as does the Welcome Trust, Medical Research Council, NHS and numerous academic partners.

Hopefully the increase in testing and scanners in the UK will have a further impact in terms of early detection of cancer, which is the main key to survival, as most cancer treatments are fairly similar the world over except for a handful of experimental treatments and drugs in relation to certain less common or rare cancers.

In terms of the most common and often treatable cancers you usually receive the same treatments such as chemo, radiotherapy and pharma drugs in most countries, and cancer survival rates are usually down to early detection rather than treatment, although rates can also be skewed by over diagnosis and treatment in some systems, and there are academic studies in relation to this.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-24-2024 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-24-2024, 06:42 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
Agree she is a lovely, beautiful woman. But she looks ill and defeated, IDC what other people on here say. I personally think they probably didn't/couldn't get it all in surgery and they're doing chemo as the next option. Or it's one of the worst ones where you can't get to it because of other organs there in that area.

It's bad when all we hear is "abdominal surgery and hospitalized 14 days"... I knew it wasn't good then.

Really hope she makes it out of this.
Maybe she looks defeated after 3 weeks of all kinds of absurd conspiracy theories that William got another woman pregnant and all kinds of crazy stuff, and being forced to go public before she wanted to.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:43 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

In terms of the UK, the NHS was set up to make sure everyone had access to decent free healthcare including the very poorest and that no one would go without decent free healthcare.

As part of the agreement to set up the NHS, it was agreed that Doctors would only have contracts with the NHS rather than being employees and today General Practitioners (Family Doctors) run their own private practices and are merely paid by the NHS, whilst there are also a private healthcare hospitals and clinics in the UK, and in London it is mainly centred around Harley Street, which has for centuries being a famous street in terms of medical care.

There are also quite a few private hospitals in London (and the UK), including some US Hospital groups, with the US Cleveland Clinic recently opening a new hospital in London and US groups such as HCA also operate hospitals in London, and there are also numerous other private providers including the London Clinic where the Princess has been treated.

On top of this you have the vast NHS University Hospitals, regional cancer centres and there are cancer research hubs including the Institute of Cancer Research in London which is partnered by the Royal Marsden, and which is a globally recognised centre of excellence. Cancer Research UK, one of the largest cancer charities in the world also funds a of research, as does the Welcome Trust, Medical Research Council, NHS and numerous academic partners.

Hopefully the increase in testing and scanners in the UK will have a further impact in terms of early detection of cancer, which is the main key to survival, as most cancer treatments are fairly similar the world over except for a handful of experimental treatments and drugs in relation to certain less common or rare cancers.

In terms of the most common and often treatable cancers you usually receive the same treatments such as chemo, radiotherapy and pharma drugs in most countries, and cancer survival rates are usually down to early detection rather than treatment, although rates can also be skewed by over diagnosis and treatment in some systems, and there are academic studies in relation to this.
My partner.. husband... has had three types of cancers at the one time.. bladder. protate and bowel... all discovered after a blood test by his doctor last year.. since then hes had one operation to remove a growth. followed by a chemo spray into the area after the op.. checkups are all clear...hes had over 30 polyps removed over four visits.. very rare to have so many and he has a checkup app on Tue ... hes had scans too all in less than a year... so whatever others think of our NHS or our methods.. I can only give positives as in his care , tests. operations hes had .. and its all looking good... things have come a very long way with cancers..When I heard they had discovered three cancers I thought that was it.. no hope.. but things have proved me wrong... Good luck to our lovely Kate.. but must be so worryied.. especially for her children..

Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 AM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe she looks defeated after 3 weeks of all kinds of absurd conspiracy theories that William got another woman pregnant and all kinds of crazy stuff, and being forced to go public before she wanted to.
Precisely. The stress from the media frenzy and conspiracies had to have taken a toll on Catherine - at a time when she's at her most vulnerable. It's been a bit much, and says a lot about the pervasive lack of boundaries in our culture.

Catherine is a public figure: an announcement was made she wouldn't be undertaking public duties until some time after Easter due to medical reasons, specifically a recovery from abdominal surgery. The initial date probably coincided with the lengthly school break.

What in the world would be added by immediately announcing the subsequent cancer diagnosis? (Sure, King Charles did, but he is head of state and planned to be photographed performing some duties, and its very possible his cancer 'journey' may be different.) Why should Catherine who had young children to help thru this provide some sort of filmed 'proof of life' to reassure those caught up in speculation?

I presume Catherine now won't soon be returning to official duties. An updated announcement would have had to be made certainly around Easter. Her medical records were being breached. She had young children at school. It's appropriate - when she's ready, and the children can handle any resulting school comments - to announce the new and more complicated medical condition.

If Catherine looks "defeated" it is from being bullied and criticized in the interim. Still she's given in - by doing a video instead of simply approving a KP announcement. The NYT indicated KP brought in the BBC to film it - in an attempt to forestall charges it/she's a fake. She did this with great dignity and no self-pity (complaints).

Interesting to see which public figures have had to the grace to apologize for their behavior, and which choose to pivot still attempting make themselves the victim. What's also interesting is this: the excuse given that since so much of life today now involves manipulation - i.e., the economy, politics, internet, AI - that it is now rational to presume the conspiratorial. With the burden of proof to satisfy now on the principal.

That is some scary stuff.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I don't know why, but I just have a hunch it's uterine cancer. I also think if the prognosis were good, she'd have revealed it - and made an appearance - much sooner. It seems it might be more than the diagnosis and treatment itself that they're grappling with as a family. I hope I'm wrong and wish her well!

Old 03-24-2024, 11:15 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't know why, but I just have a hunch it's uterine cancer. I also think if the prognosis were good, she'd have revealed it - and made an appearance - much sooner. It seems it might be more than the diagnosis and treatment itself that they're grappling with as a family. I hope I'm wrong and wish her well!
I think that they may just not know how she will respond.

I have seen people with REALLY bad cancer have chemo knock it right out....and I've seen treatments do very little.

I just wish all the ghouls would leave her be.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:33 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
My impression was that Kate felt uncomfortable making this announcement about her private health issues. I don't think she wants unsolicited advice about her course of treatment and she really doesn't want to get into what her surgery involved.

People are speculating even with very vague information. Imagine what they would do if they had more specifics to gossip about. Her children are young but not so young that they wouldn't be hearing this chatter on social media.

I can't blame her for wanting her privacy. I think she looked good especially considering the ordeal she's been through. But she does look a bit stressed and uncomfortable talking about her private medical condition which is understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events