Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2024, 07:40 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Which makes one think, what types of abdominal cancer couldn't be detected without a surgery, as seems to be her case?
MRIs can’t always detect cancer. It’s possible for an MRI to miss small tumors. Additionally, MRIs can sometimes produce unclear images that don’t show the tumor. This type of result is known as a false negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 07:46 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
MRIs can’t always detect cancer. It’s possible for an MRI to miss small tumors. Additionally, MRIs can sometimes produce unclear images that don’t show the tumor. This type of result is known as a false negative.
Many doctors will tell you that people always have malignant cells floating around, and that only occasionally do they morph into something worse. I learned that on December 15, 1972 when I was 15, and learned that my Dad was weeks away from death. I had been fed a line of BS before that. I quickly called my Dad's GP (before they were called internists) and an adult cousin who was a doctor in Providence. The latter told me that theory and I have heard it often since.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:09 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
So you're saying the surgery was just to look for cancer? What about MRIs, etc.?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Which makes one think, what types of abdominal cancer couldn't be detected without a surgery, as seems to be her case?
Again--I'm not a doctor, but I wanted to address this with the knowledge I do have.

There are various reasons a person might have abdominal surgery without suspecting cancer and without having an MRI.

Just as an example, a woman might have uterine symptoms (e.g. heavy, irregular bleeding) and be scanned with ultrasound, which is very cheap and very easy compared to MRI, but not very specific.

If the ultrasound reveals large fibroid tumors, which are common and benign, the doctor may recommend a hysterectomy.

Then it's possible that further testing on the parts removed may reveal a small cancerous tumor that was unsupected before that point.

I think this is one of several plausible scenarios for Kate. A "planned abdominal surgery" with an expected recovery of many weeks is not a surgery just to look for cancer. They were removing or fixing something else and not expecting to find cancer at all.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
How is a hysterectomy performed? I always thought it would be vaginally or, at most, laparoscopically. "Abdominal surgery" sounds like a larger incision was made, as for an exploratory.

Last edited by otterhere; 03-25-2024 at 08:35 AM..

Old 03-25-2024, 08:24 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Whatever the truth is...just admit it. Sooner or later everyone will know the truth, why not get it out there right away and stop all the wild speculation. This is so typical of the rich and famous...and in the end whatever the secret was is almost always found out.
Wow. Folks knew the truth immediately; it was announced from the start Kate Middleton had surgery and that she wouldn’t return to her royal duties until after Easter. The public was not entitled to hear (them ‘admit’ to) every detail, especially immediately (and we now know why they held back relative to their kids as well as the diagnosis). The ‘rich and famous’ are human.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:32 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think that the more that public figures are open about cancer, the better. This would have the salutary effect of encouraging people to self-monitor and, when possible, get regular checkups. In addition, it would help dispel the stigma of the disease. As life spans expand, cancer is unfortunately along for the ride. I think public figures almost have an obligation to be open.
People are weird about cancer. If a high profile person has a neurological condition they tend to say what type. But cancer is often still described just cancer even though there are many types. There should be no stigma to any type of cancer.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The public was not entitled to hear (them ‘admit’ to) every detail...
I thought we already established that "celebrities" can't expect the same privacy as an obscure citizen; they can't have it both ways, and most don't expect to. I agree that, while they have the RIGHT to keep it secret, it will eventually come out, so they might as well be upfront and honest about it. Why not? Unless it's anal, bladder, or colon, which some find "embarrassing," but even then, other cancer victims might appreciate there not be shame associated with the diagnosis.

Again, here the public is wildly speculating, now about what TYPE of cancer, whereas if they'd just announced it, there'd be nothing left to say. Guess they didn't learn anything from the way the handled it in the first place with the fake photos!

Old 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How is a hysterectomy performed? I always thought it would be vaginally or, at most, laparoscopically. "Abdominal surgery" sounds like a larger incision was made.
Depends. It could be done either of those ways or with an abdominal incision like a c-section. If a woman has very large fibroid tumors, abdominal would probably be preferred.

Of course I'm just guessing that Kate's surgery was on the uterus. I think something having to do with the colon is also possible. Maybe she had IBD or Crohn's disease and a spot of colon cancer was found. It doesn't really matter and is none of our business. I'm only throwing out these scenarios to say that there are various reasons someone might have abdominal surgery without having had an MRI and without having suspected cancer.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:38 AM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Again--I'm not a doctor, but I wanted to address this with the knowledge I do have.

There are various reasons a person might have abdominal surgery without suspecting cancer and without having an MRI.

Just as an example, a woman might have uterine symptoms (e.g. heavy, irregular bleeding) and be scanned with ultrasound, which is very cheap and very easy compared to MRI, but not very specific.

If the ultrasound reveals large fibroid tumors, which are common and benign, the doctor may recommend a hysterectomy.

Then it's possible that further testing on the parts removed may reveal a small cancerous tumor that was unsupected before that point.

I think this is one of several plausible scenarios for Kate. A "planned abdominal surgery" with an expected recovery of many weeks is not a surgery just to look for cancer. They were removing or fixing something else and not expecting to find cancer at all.
Yes, this is probably what happened (above) or something similar.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:47 AM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How is a hysterectomy performed? I always thought it would be vaginally or, at most, laparoscopically. "Abdominal surgery" sounds like a larger incision was made, as for an exploratory.
As far as I know, there are four ways of performing a hysterectomy:1) Vaginal, 2) Laparoscopic, 3) Abdominal, 4) Robotic (a kind of Laparoscopic type). The vaginal type is the preferred type because it has the shortest recovery time since it’s least invasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events