Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 11:05 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The bolded is incorrect. It's almost certainly not pancreatic cancer. She is getting adjuvant/preventative chemotherapy. This is the treatment I had, twice, so although I'm not a medical professional I know something about it firsthand. Adjuvant treatment is given when the cancer has been fully removed and there is no evidence of spread (metastasis), BUT the possibility exists that some microscopic cells still exist, e.g. in the bloodstream or lymph system. Chemo is given to wipe out those possible cells before they can take hold again.

Realistically, someone whose cancer was fully removed in surgery and whose doctors recommend adjuvant therapy has a very, very good chance of being fully cured. Pancreatic cancer is an exception to that but I highly doubt that Catherine is one of the almost nonexistent people under age 45 who contract pancreatic cancer despite having no risk factors.

I checked your claim and you are right. Pancreatic cancer is indeed extremely rare in those under 45 so that's good news. My thoughts are with Kate and the kids, not so much with William. I think he's a royal crumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 11:11 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think in some cases it's every 5 years from what I've heard. That seems way too long but I'm not a dr. As more and more people need/want these services the harder they will become to get.
With a negative HPV test *and* a normal PAP, the recommendation is a recall in 5 years.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:14 AM

Anyone who believes Kate isn't getting the best care possible is wrong. She is not receiving substandard care. As a royal, she, as would any member of the royal family, receive A+++ care and the best treatments possible and whatever ongoing tests any of her doctors or team advised.

Old 03-23-2024, 11:46 AM

133 posts, read 39,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Anyone who believes Kate isn't getting the best care possible is wrong. She is not receiving substandard care. As a royal, she, as would any member of the royal family, receive A+++ care and the best treatments possible and whatever ongoing tests any of her doctors or team advised.
I'm also debating this with my friend.

If she isn't being treated by American oncologists, she's getting substandard care. Bottom line. We can debate healthcare all we want but it's fact... This is the country with the best cancer research and treatment.

She looks absolutely awful, it's sad. I don't think she's gonna make it.

Last edited by Just_in_time; 03-23-2024 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-23-2024, 11:55 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
This is just fearmongering and if you really believe it, maybe you should address your own negative and pessimistic tendencies.

You can't tell whether someone has cancer or not, nor how sick they may or may not be, from looking at them.

Just being worried about a diagnosis can make someone look "awful." I've downplayed my own cancer diagnoses partly because they are now far in the past and I'm fully recovered, and because I want other people with cancer to think positive, but at the time, I didn't know for sure that I would recover. Even though every doctor I saw told me what I had was curable and I would be fine and live to see my grandchildren (all my kids were under 10 years old at the time), I didn't fully believe it. I spent way too much time researching every little thing that could go wrong. I was anxious. I didn't sleep well; I lost a lot of weight. I totally understand how Kate can look pale and unhappy about making a video telling the world about her condition, EVEN THOUGH it is probably curable and she is mostly likely going to be fine in the long run. It's still not fun to go through.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:07 PM

133 posts, read 39,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is just fearmongering and if you really believe it, maybe you should address your own negative and pessimistic tendencies.

You can't tell whether someone has cancer or not, nor how sick they may or may not be, from looking at them.

Just being worried about a diagnosis can make someone look "awful." I've downplayed my own cancer diagnoses partly because they are now far in the past and I'm fully recovered, and because I want other people with cancer to think positive, but at the time, I didn't know for sure that I would recover. Even though every doctor I saw told me what I had was curable and I would be fine and live to see my grandchildren (all my kids were under 10 years old at the time), I didn't fully believe it. I spent way too much time researching every little thing that could go wrong. I was anxious. I didn't sleep well; I lost a lot of weight. I totally understand how Kate can look pale and unhappy about making a video telling the world about her condition, EVEN THOUGH it is probably curable and she is mostly likely going to be fine in the long run. It's still not fun to go through.
I'm sorry you had cancer...and glad you survived but I disagree. Don't play psychologist with me. Fear mongering? UK healthcare especially cancer treatment sucks and everything points to this being way more serious than they are saying. That's just being a realist, I've repeatedly said I hate to be negative. "Abdominal surgery" and 14 days in the hospital? I had a $300,000 back surgery and the plan was to be released the same day.. but I needed a night or two. A stay in the hospital for longer than that, it's probably something serious.

Alex Trebeck looked completely normal and healthy until the last interview I saw of him right before he died. I know cancer survivors and have lost loved ones to it. They looked fine until it got realllllly bad.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_in_time View Post
I'm also debating this with my friend.

If she isn't being treated by American oncologists, she's getting substandard care. Bottom line. We can debate healthcare all we want but it's fact... This is the country with the best cancer research and treatment.

None of us know who is treating her, their credentials, where they studied, etc. We don't even know what kind of cancer she has, what organ it affects, what the surgery removed, but you're already predicting she's "not going to make it?"

Old 03-23-2024, 12:31 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I see both sides. While I don't condone the hounding and conspiracy theories around this thing, I also don't believe that Kate deserves the same kind of privacy that normal people do. She's not a private citizen, but a public citizens living on the public dole in multi million dollar palaces living a life fully funded by taxpayers. From a public relations standpoint, just having a member of the royal family drop dead (not saying this is Kate's prognosis) after a hidden illness probably wouldn't do much to endear them to the public either, whose support they ultimately need to be written out of law. Just my two cents anyway.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:42 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I checked your claim and you are right. Pancreatic cancer is indeed extremely rare in those under 45 so that's good news. My thoughts are with Kate and the kids, not so much with William I think he's a royal crumb.
No matter your opinion of him, he is her husband & Dad to those kids who need all the love he can give them. So I wish the entire family well.

Old 03-23-2024, 12:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I mean if you're in the public eye like that why hide a health issue like cancer ? I can see hiding drug addiction or alcoholism but why hide cancer ? Part of me can understand not wanting the extra attention but she already has that attention. Anything she does people are watching. I hate to say she chose that life but she knew what she was getting into. Cancer is unfortunately very common but doesn't have to be a death sentence. I don't know why people try to hide it.
There's a difference between "hiding something!" and rushing to share the details of your health with the tabloids. It's likely that the last thing on her mind was how the public was responding to the news that she'd had surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events