Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2024, 07:08 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

[quote=BugsyPal;66563000]From the Atlantic:

I Hope You All Feel Terrible Now
The Post wouldn't let me tell Blake to go to h*ll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2024, 07:11 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
lovely sentiment Metlakatia..

Old 03-23-2024, 07:12 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
She explained that it took times to recover from her surgery, before starting on chemotherapy, and to gently break the bad news to her very young children. Yorktowngirl has shared the Princess of Wales' message that you can read here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/66560926-post20.html
I think she said she was in the first stages of her chemo... may she stay well and recover... lovely lady..

Old 03-23-2024, 07:55 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just because she’s undergoing chemo, doesn’t mean she can’t go out and shop. Most people get chemo on an outpatient basis and continue to live their lives. We get elderly patients undergoing chemo and they still can come to the therapy gym and exercise. And my brother underwent chemo when he was 25, and he wasn’t bedridden or anything he still lived his life. There’s no reason to think that wasn’t her. She said she’s in the very beginning of the treatments.

You're thinking in terms of the US medical system which has much better cancer outcomes than UK as someone has pointed out. Kate is stuck with the NHS's inferior care unless they are secretly shipping in American doctors to treat her.

I'm at a loss to understand why with their fabulous wealth the royals aren't getting the best MRI's, labs and ultrasounds on a quarterly basis to keep a check on abnormal growths. If this is pancreatic cancer it's likely a death sentence for Kate, I hate to be so pessimistic but I'm a realist and this is just the way the stats lean.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:12 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're thinking in terms of the US medical system which has much better cancer outcomes than UK as someone has pointed out. Kate is stuck with the NHS's inferior care unless they are secretly shipping in American doctors to treat her.

I'm at a loss to understand why with their fabulous wealth the royals aren't getting the best MRI's, labs and ultrasounds on a quarterly basis to keep a check on abnormal growths. If this is pancreatic cancer it's likely a death sentence for Kate, I hate to be so pessimistic but I'm a realist and this is just the way the stats lean.
The bolded is incorrect. It's almost certainly not pancreatic cancer. She is getting adjuvant/preventative chemotherapy. This is the treatment I had, twice, so although I'm not a medical professional I know something about it firsthand. Adjuvant treatment is given when the cancer has been fully removed and there is no evidence of spread (metastasis), BUT the possibility exists that some microscopic cells still exist, e.g. in the bloodstream or lymph system. Chemo is given to wipe out those possible cells before they can take hold again.

Realistically, someone whose cancer was fully removed in surgery and whose doctors recommend adjuvant therapy has a very, very good chance of being fully cured. Pancreatic cancer is an exception to that but I highly doubt that Catherine is one of the almost nonexistent people under age 45 who contract pancreatic cancer despite having no risk factors.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:15 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:

It perhaps wasn't on her radar to be getting quarterly MRI's and labs done. Regardless of how wealthy she is, I dont think most people who have never had cancer are getting these types of services? The healthcare system is swamped for everyone...rich people kind of lead the way...but there's no way getting quartlerly MRI's an labs done can ever become the norm.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:25 AM

1,380 posts, read 721,367 times
Quote:

Yes, and you would think with KC's cancer he would be getting the absolute best care. Don't understand the UK being so behind.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:34 AM

Ok who the hell is getting quarterly cancer checks on every part of their body?

Most women get pap smears every 3 years and a mammogram every year...colon cancer screenings starting at 45.

Most people dont get an MRI in other places until they feel discomfort somewhere

Old 03-23-2024, 09:44 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Ok who the hell is getting quarterly cancer checks on every part of their body?

Most women get pap smears every 3 years and a mammogram every year...colon cancer screenings starting at 45.

Most people dont get an MRI in other places until they feel discomfort somewhere
The benefit of a quarterly MRI to check for cancer throughout the entire body would be vastly outweighed by the cost and stress of checking up on every little incidental finding. And there aren't enough MRI machines to give every wealthy or prominent person a scan every three months without making MRI completely unavailable for the rest of the population.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:49 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The benefit of a quarterly MRI to check for cancer throughout the entire body would be vastly outweighed by the cost and stress of checking up on every little incidental finding. And there aren't enough MRI machines to give every wealthy or prominent person a scan every three months without making MRI completely unavailable for the rest of the population.
I know but it's always wealthy people who start these kinds of trends. Then everyone else wants it. I don't see how getting these types of cancer checks so frequently could ever be possible unless costs came waaay down. And why would that ever happen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events