Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:57 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All drugs are tested for a short time and then released to the people...drug interactions and side effects are too too many. I haven't met a drug yet that doesn't come with side effects, perhaps my desiccated thyroid does not.

Yeah, i know water can kill you, crossing the street can kill you and yes peanuts from what I've heard. I know that when I've eaten peanuts over the years I would get major joint pains.
Yes because when something is BIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE (i.e. it does something in your body) it inevitably has SIDE-EFFECT. The question is - what is the specific side effect(s) in you, and is it worth it for the other benefit(s) obtained. That's up to you. Aspirin has side-effect(s) - is it worth it to remove your headache. Up to you.

The artificial distinction between synthetic chemicals and natural chemicals (many of which can also kill you) is just made up.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:22 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
All drugs are tested for a short time and then released to the people...drug interactions and side effects are too too many. I haven't met a drug yet that doesn't come with side effects, perhaps my desiccated thyroid does not.

Yeah, i know water can kill you, crossing the street can kill you and yes peanuts from what I've heard. I know that when I've eaten peanuts over the years I would get major joint pains.
Yes, your dessicated thyroid does come with side effects, especially when the dose is increased to try to treat symptoms that were never due to thyroid disease in the first place, creating hyperthyroidism in the process.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/thyroid-de...e-effects.html

Changes in appetite
changes in menstrual periods
chest pain
diarrhea
fast or irregular heartbeat
fever
hand tremors
headache
irritability
leg cramps
nervousness
sensitivity to heat
shortness of breath
sweating
trouble sleeping
vomiting
weight loss

Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I have a friend who is 90 now, she's strong but has a lot of issues and many from years on certain drugs. She admits this. She just went thru a 2nd hip replacement at 90 and sounds weaker on the phone when we talk. Understand that. I wonder why the doc would even do a hip job on a 90 yr old, but they do.

She's gone to the same integrative MD as I go to but recently our old integrative MD found herself on leave due to back issues, I'm told. My friend could not find another integrative MD so she had end up with a conventional MD and says every time she goes to this doc and comes home with a script, reads all the possible side effects, does not get it filled.

I was able to get in with another I.MD but my friend could not due to the list being closed.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, your dessicated thyroid does come with side effects, especially when the dose is increased to try to treat symptoms that were never due to thyroid disease in the first place, creating hyperthyroidism in the process.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/thyroid-de...e-effects.html

Changes in appetite
changes in menstrual periods
chest pain
diarrhea
fast or irregular heartbeat
fever
hand tremors
headache
irritability
leg cramps
nervousness
sensitivity to heat
shortness of breath
sweating
trouble sleeping
vomiting
weight loss
Oh thanks suzyq, I have NONE of these and on desiccated since 2002. I knew you would come thru. Well, lookie here:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14...st-sideeffects

Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Oh thanks suzyq, I have NONE of these and on desiccated since 2002. I knew you would come thru.
You are welcome.

Most people who take prescription drugs also have no side effects from them.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
You are welcome.

Most people who take prescription drugs also have no side effects from them.
You know MOST huh?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You know MOST huh?

Most people who have side effects from their medication discuss it with their doctors. If the side effects are a problem they may stop the drug and try something different.

It all comes down to whether the doctor and patient agree that benefits of use of the drug outweigh the side effects.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:19 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Becoming an advocate against advocacy?

Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Most people who have side effects from their medication discuss it with their doctors. If the side effects are a problem they may stop the drug and try something different.

It all comes down to whether the doctor and patient agree that benefits of use of the drug outweigh the side effects.

Well, for me, a major side effect with a drug put me in the ER with a stomach ulcer...that was the turning point to my thinking about conventional medicine and alternative medicine. That was in the 80'.s I'd say MOST put their trust in allopathic medicine in the U.S. It's changing but very slowly.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Well, for me, a major side effect with a drug put me in the ER with a stomach ulcer...that was the turning point to my thinking about conventional medicine and alternative medicine. That was in the 80'.s I'd say MOST put their trust in allopathic medicine in the U.S. It's changing but very slowly.
Many people choose to use the same drug you took because it works for them. The labeling information will clearly state the increased risk of ulcers with the medication. Do you believe your personal bad experience should mean everyone else should be denied the benefit of the drug, or only that you should avoid using it? I do believe that you have said you use an "alternative" product with willow bark - basically aspirin - which can also cause ulcers. Why do you consider it safe when the prescription drug was not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Daily Journals