Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM

912 posts, read 1,887,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No sir, Dallas is not in any way, shape, or form a seaport. Dallas is a rail and air distribution hub. And actually, the new rail container port near Ennis was built in part because the Port of Houston needed more space. Both areas sort of worked together to get that rail container port built. And what businesses from Houston have been shifted to DFW? What you're saying is not true. Galveston was AT sea level and no one listened to the warnings. Houston is inland, more elevated, and there are better building codes nowadays. The success of both DFW and Houston rely on one another. Even if you don't want to admit it, Houston and DFW need each other. Their strengths and weaknesses work well.

Nah, Dallas-Fort Worth is actually more landlocked than Atlanta. Atlanta isn't as far from the Savannah port as DFW is from Houston's port.

More like you're shortchanging the significance of Houston. I don't think I've shortchanged the DFW area at all. As far as the visitors reference, explain to me why Houston receives more annual visitors than DFW? And yes, DFW is a large distribution center, so there are a lot of warehouses in the area.

Both are about equal nowadays. The Houston Rodeo's attendance has really grown. Both showcase different things, too. The State Fair has sporting events, while the Houston rodeo has large concerts.
I sometimes had to deliver loads on a Saturday driving 333 miles to the Port of New Orleans to put beer on the same ship that Anheuser Busch couldn't place it on while it was docked at the port of Houston. And where did I pick up that load? Well, the brewery was located just ten miles from the entrance to the Port of Houston. On top of that, two hundred loads of beer had to be delivered every week to a port in Lake Charles, La. That was 110 miles away.
When you say "in no way, shape, and form," you are just being dramatic. See, technology has advanced. Southern Dallas county is becoming a port. Because truckers can travel both directions from that area to the ports in Houston without going over the legal time alloted to them on their logs, that area is positioned to boom.
So, Dallas is not "land locked" like Mexico City.
Not only that, let me tell you something that not too many people appreciate about southern Dallas county where I-45 and I-20 intersect. That area is going to end up unique like no other in Texas. It is already a container port while a few miles up the road a lot of yards exist for over-the-road trucking fleets also turning the area into a center for such companies. As more warehouses get built, figure that break-down trucking ports will soon follow like the kind that line Irving Blvd running along and south of Stemmons Expressway. As manufacturing plants and distribution flocks to the area, figure their own private truck fleets will be added to the mix.
I can't think of another area in Texas or perhaps in the whole of the Southwest like that.
Whether Atlanta is further from a port than DFW or not, neither cities are as landlocked as Mexico City. As technology improves and hurricanes and tropical storms continue wrecking infrastructure along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, a lot of port business will continue moving more inland from Houston to the DFW area.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-14-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Why don't you do the same for Atlanta? I'm sure Atlanta has other distribution centers in its metro that are closer to Savannah's port than city hall.
The turnaround time for the truck driver is the main thing. It isn't possible for a trucker to transport from the Alliance area to the ports in Houston and turn around and come back and still be legal.
This is the third time I've tried making this point. If the trucker lives in southern Dallas county, picks up a container in southern Dallas county and delivers it straight to the ship in the port of Houston and then returns to southern Dallas county in a day, then where is the port located? You can argue either way. My argument is that DFW should no longer be considered land locked.
In regards to the OP, DFW is unique because it has two such major container ports in Alliance as well as in southern Dallas county.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-14-2010 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 30,286 times
Its taking to damn long.It does not take the city long to develop uptown Dallas. It seems like every time i past thru uptown their is a new high rise building or resturant. The city needs to build up around 45 south interstate. It fells like a different city on hwy 45.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastcity View Post
Its taking to damn long.It does not take the city long to develop uptown Dallas. It seems like every time i past thru uptown their is a new high rise building or resturant. The city needs to build up around 45 south interstate. It fells like a different city on hwy 45.
Using the interchange of I-45 and I-20 as a reference point, the over the road trucking firms are building yards west of there along 1-20 and south of there on 1-45. Of course, the container port is located south of there about three miles away. The beauty in this development lies in the confluence of rail container ports, one existing and one planned, along with four types of trucking that will eventually develop because of it.
The point being that this area will become a major center for trucking the likes that have never been seen before in this particular part of the country.
The over the road trucking companies are located along 1-20 because that is the by-pass around DFW. So, that is assured.
How well the container port or ports (they may not build the other one) work out in southern Dallas county depends on trade with China and on how well the infrastructure of Houston and along the Gulf Coast fairs in regards to hurricanes and tropical storms (Hurricane Katrina pushed a lot of port business to the port of Houston that will probably never return to New Orleans).
The containers simply cannot continue coming into this nation full and leaving empty. Something is going to have to happen. This will certainly impact the future of the burgeoning port in southern Dallas county.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-15-2010 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 AM

687 posts, read 1,577,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
This is the third time I've tried making this point. If the trucker lives in southern Dallas county, picks up a container in southern Dallas county and delivers it straight to the ship in the port of Houston and then returns to southern Dallas county in a day, then where is the port located? You can argue either way. My argument is that DFW should no longer be considered land locked.
This may be the third or thirtieth time you've made the point, but it isn't any less ridiculous than the first time--the port is in HOUSTON. Yes, Dallas has great potential with the INLAND (a.k.a. land-based) port facilities in the southern part of the county, but Dallas is not a "port" and never will be. It is a landlocked city--look at a map. We are over 250 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Things that ship out on boats go out through HOUSTON, not Dallas. I can't believe you're seriously trying to convince people that Dallas is not landlocked. We don't even have a navigable river, much less a seaport!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 AM

19 posts, read 30,286 times
Okay lets see

Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
^^^Scarface, save yourself the heartache. Youre arguing as if things like logic and facts matter. Just say stuff that doesnt make sense and youll fit right in.
What does this have to do with logic? The OP was asking for information about Dallas in contrast to other cities in the state and in the nation. So, I introduced the port in southern Dallas county as a burgeoning development contrasting it with the Alliance development located in the northern part of Tarrant county.
The Alliance development will only have three of the four types of trucking I mentioned in the prior post. It won't have the over-the-road trucking firms located by it that southern Dallas county has.
You know, that is something special about DFW. While during the 2000's, Uptown was developed north of downtown Dallas; similarly, during the 90's, the Telecom Corridor was developed along Central Expressway in the city of Richardson.
In regards to the amount of office space it has, the Telecom Corridor compares favorably with the Texas Medical Center in Houston. Yet, unlike the Texas Medical Center, it exploded out of the ground rather quickly and wasn't built with public dollars. Texas Instruments and Collins Radio had been around as long time anchors to support that business center however.
Likewise, Uptown exploded the last ten years to become the development it is today.
Along with the Telecom Center and Uptown, the Dallas area spawned another commercial shopping district during the 90's called Stonebriar Center. It is located in far north Dallas where the in parallel North Dallas Tollway and Preston Road intersect with Highway 121. As the Preston Center commercial shopping district and the Northpark commercial shopping district are located close to the golden corridor of Preston Road along Loop 12, the Dallas Galleria / Addison commercial shopping district is located north of there and is also in close proximity to Preston Road along the LBJ Freeway.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
I still can't believe everyone gave Mr. Nifty a pass on using the term "Aeropolis" back on page one.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
How well the container port or ports (they may not build the other one) work out in southern Dallas county depends on trade with China and on how well the infrastructure of Houston and along the Gulf Coast fairs in regards to hurricanes and tropical storms (Hurricane Katrina pushed a lot of port business to the port of Houston that will probably never return to New Orleans).
Hurricanes are not an issue for Houston. Houston on average has only one hurricane every decade if that. Regardless even Miami which is the second largest metropolitan area (after Tokyo) to be reguarly affected by Hurricanes and Tropical Storms have not seen port business/air cargo move to another city because of this.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I still can't believe everyone gave Mr. Nifty a pass on using the term "Aeropolis" back on page one.
In regards to how many passengers are served, the major airports in Chicago and Atlanta have DFW beat. In regards to serving their metropolitan areas as an Airport city (Aeropolis), DFW airport is lightyears ahead of those two bustling airports. No comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas