Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,448 times

Advertisements

Ship's Ahoy Matey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
That makes no sense at all, but if believing that Dallas is somehow a seaport makes you feel better far be it from me to rain any further on your parade.
I don't believe Galveston is any more of a seaport than Houston. Yet, the port of Houston is located fifty miles further from the Gulf of Mexico. You keep thinking in terms of seaport while I keep arguing that DFW, because of the close proximity of southern Dallas country to the port of Houston, and because of what a truck driver is allowed legally to drive in a day, is no longer as land locked as it once was considered to be.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM

419 posts, read 998,489 times
I love Dallas because we have the most insane thread derailer in the history of the Internet! With people this nutty for Dallas, it must be an awesome place to live.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
I love Dallas because we have the most insane thread derailer in the history of the Internet! With people this nutty for Dallas, it must be an awesome place to live.
I don't see how your reply helps the original question. The OP is asking about comparing and contrasting DFW to other cities in the United States and Texas. I think Dallas is more regionally situated than Atlanta even on the level of Chicago. Really, the one aspect that the city of Dallas has over Fort Worth and every other city in the metropolitan area is the phenomenon of commercial shopping districts. These four districts are all lined up along the golden corridor of Preston Road or close by to it.
The Dallas - Fort Worth area spawns new industries every ten years or so. As they are in development, it is difficult to grasp the situation real time. As the Alliance airport area was a new thing, as the Telecom Corridor was being built, as downtown Dallas was redeveloping as a new financial center, all these areas arose under the radar. I'm just trying to show the beauty in southern Dallas county before anything even gets built. To see it, one has to look at the already established trucking in the area. I do think this area could wind up becoming another diverse aspect about the Dallas - Fort Worth area. Manufacturing and major distribution can become a real possibility in southern Dallas county. Whether Dallas - Fort Worth should be considered land locked or not is beside the point. A major truck port has the potential to develop in southern Dallas county the likes that does not exist any where else in the Southwest.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:00 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times
I just thought the term "aeropolis" was silly. But you're all right -- the rest of Mr. Nifty's take was silly, too.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:43 AM

Default And you think that was silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I just thought the term "aeropolis" was silly. But you're all right -- the rest of Mr. Nifty's take was silly, too.
Look, to avoid purchasing an empty box, one has to learn to think outside of it. As I've said in here often, if we are going to become a nation with a service economy, great service has to be a prerequisite. In other words, hell has no torment like a service economy with lousy service. Such can almost be thought of as living in a constant degraded state within the confines of a courtroom. I myself would rather live in a prison.
And how does one degrade their economy to empty boxes? Well, first you rid your nation of all engineering and machining jobs with these things being necessary to manufacture a quality product. Next, after the economy is a shambles, you sell the junk to the naive people by paying hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses to great wizards of magic, with these individuals being the gifted marketing executives.
Eventually, the only quality left in the package is the surrounding vacuum seal of the plastic preventing the customer from opening it.
Yes, I pull my pants up snug, I have no tatoos or body piercings, and ain't nobody gonna get this cookie.
Therefore, I am silly.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-25-2010 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,846,154 times
I guess this Dallas inland port is really going to happen. Southern Dallas County is going to boom in the future.

Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson : Press Releases : THE INTERNATIONAL INLAND PORT OF DALLAS EMPLOYMENT TRAINING PROGRAM RECEIVES THOUSANDS

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I guess this Dallas inland port is really going to happen. Southern Dallas County is going to boom in the future.

Congresswoman Eddie Bernice Johnson : Press Releases : THE INTERNATIONAL INLAND PORT OF DALLAS EMPLOYMENT TRAINING PROGRAM RECEIVES THOUSANDS
Please note how it is referred to as an inland port. More than the huge amount of thousands of dollars being pumped into it, the most significant aspect making this thing work will be the four types of trucking and the two container cargo terminals expected to serve it.
So, as I said, the Dallas - Fort Worth area should not be considered as land locked as it once was. Inland port is a better designation with it having the tremendous potential to wag the head of the dog in Houston on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas