Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:13 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Hurricanes are not an issue for Houston. Houston on average has only one hurricane every decade if that. Regardless even Miami which is the second largest metropolitan area (after Tokyo) to be reguarly affected by Hurricanes and Tropical Storms have not seen port business/air cargo move to another city because of this.
The closest city to Miami (other than Jacksonville) is Atlanta. It is 660 miles away. Galveston at one time was the second wealthiest city in the United States until it was hit by a hurricane. Then its business moved inland 50 miles to Houston. Hurricanes and tropical storms will continue hitting the east to west infrastructure along the whole I-10 and railroad Corridors.
See, if there happened to have been ample land above sea level located around New Orleans, then the city of Houston would have been built around that area. It just so happens that Houston is located in an area that is significantly above sea level compared to all the other areas located betweeen it and New Orleans. For example, there are three major rivers that run into the golden triangle of Beaumont, Port Author, and Orange. Next, there is a lot of swampy area in and around Lake Charles. After Lake Charles, there is a lot of land above sea level and that is where La Fayette, La. is located before the area becomes swampy again. Between La Fayette and Baton Rouge is a 25 mile long bridge crossing over the flood plains of the Mississippi River. Between Baton Rouge and New Orleans is another 20 miles of flood plains.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-19-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:43 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,740,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
The closest city to Miami (other than Jacksonville) is Atlanta. It is 660 miles away.
Look at a map!

You have Tampa and Orlando nearby both less than 300 miles respectively, Atlanta is not even relevant to the discussion. Plus Miami still serves as a major port for cargo (both air & container ship) destined to Latin America despite it being at risk from future hurricanes.

Quote:
Galveston at one time was the second wealthiest city in the United States until it was hit by a hurricane. Then its business moved inland 50 miles to Houston. Hurricanes and tropical storms will continue hitting the east to west infrastructure along the whole I-10 and railroad Corridors.
See, if there happened to have been ample land above sea level located around New Orleans, then the city of Houston would have been built around that area. It just so happens that Houston is located in an area that is significantly above sea level compared to all the other areas located betweeen it and New Orleans. For example, there are three major rivers that run into the golden triangle of Beaumont, Port Author, and Orange. Next, there is a lot of swampy area in and around Lake Charles. After Lake Charles, there is a lot of land above sea level and that is where La Fayette, La. is located before the area becomes swampy again. Between La Fayette and Baton Rouge is a 25 mile long bridge crossing over the flood plains of the Mississippi River. Between Baton Rouge and New Orleans is another 20 miles of flood plains.
It still would not affect the Port of Houston as all of the city (like Miami) is above sea level. The reason why New Orleans was so badly affected was because it was below sea level and it took a long time to repair their infastructure from being submerged in water for several weeks. The main route (I-10/I-12) was unaffected from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita although they were closed for a few days which is an equivalent to a blizzard affecting highway travel in Wyoming. Plus you seem to be forgeting about I-69 and it's impact of opening a direct route to the Midwest/Canada from Houston or a rail line that parallels current US 59 to the northeast.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Look at a map!

You have Tampa and Orlando nearby both less than 300 miles respectively, Atlanta is not even relevant to the discussion. Plus Miami still serves as a major port for cargo (both air & container ship) destined to Latin America despite it being at risk from future hurricanes.

It still would not affect the Port of Houston as all of the city (like Miami) is above sea level. The reason why New Orleans was so badly affected was because it was below sea level and it took a long time to repair their infastructure from being submerged in water for several weeks. The main route (I-10/I-12) was unaffected from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita although they were closed for a few days which is an equivalent to a blizzard affecting highway travel in Wyoming. Plus you seem to be forgeting about I-69 and it's impact of opening a direct route to the Midwest/Canada from Houston or a rail line that parallels current US 59 to the northeast.
See, you are trying to say that DFW is as land locked as Mexico City. I'm arguing that is no longer thought to be the case. DFW does not need to build a sea port. It is close enough to benefit as one already. You disagree because, well, you live in the old encyclopedia age.
Once again, a trucker can live in southern Dallas county. He or she can hook up to a container and drive to the port of Houston in less than four hours. They can unload, drive back, and still be legal. That is the important thing.
Now, the driver can also live in the Houston area, drive to southern Dallas county early in the morning, pick up a container, drive back, and deliver it to the port of Houston. He or she would still be legal.
It is all about being legal. What about this do you not understand?
Now a cool possibility would be to pick up a load to take back to the Dallas - Fort Worth area.
A massive hurricane could wreck havoc on the whole state of Florida as every seaport in it is vulnerable. I mentioned Atlanta because it is located inland. However, it is too far away from Miami to serve in the same relationship that southern Dallas county has with the port of Houston.
As far as the OP is concerned, southern Dallas country should be considered a major emerging market in the Dallas - Fort Worth area. I mentioned the possibility of having four kinds of trucking with two potential rail container ports. No telling how significant this area will become. Will the tail start wagging the dog some? If major manufacturing and distributing establishes itself in the area, then the area's potential is tremendous.

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 10-19-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 AM

687 posts, read 1,578,703 times
Quote:
See, you are trying to say that DFW is as land locked as Mexico City. I'm arguing that is no longer thought to be the case. DFW does not need to build a sea port. It is close enough to benefit as one already. You disagree because, well, you live in the old encyclopedia age.
Once again, a trucker can live in southern Dallas county. He or she can hook up to a container and drive to the port of Houston in less than four hours. They can unload, drive back, and still be legal. That is the important thing.
Now, the driver can also live in the Houston area, drive to southern Dallas county early in the morning, pick up a container, drive back, and deliver it to the port of Houston. He or she would still be legal.
It is all about being legal. What about this do you not understand?
Now a cool possibility would be to pick up a load to take back to the Dallas - Fort Worth area.
You've invented quite the fascinating interpretation of "landlocked," haven't you? I guess Las Vegas is also no longer landlocked either since a truck driver can get from Clark County to the Port of Los Angeles in about four hours as well. Never mind that it's in the middle of a desert. We get your argument--you've repeated it several times now and it simply does not hold water. Barring some unforeseen catastrophe involving the Gulf of Mexico somehow shifting 250 miles inland, Dallas is and will always be just as landlocked as *gasp* Mexico City!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
You've invented quite the fascinating interpretation of "landlocked," haven't you? I guess Las Vegas is also no longer landlocked either since a truck driver can get from Clark County to the Port of Los Angeles in about four hours as well. Never mind that it's in the middle of a desert. We get your argument--you've repeated it several times now and it simply does not hold water. Barring some unforeseen catastrophe involving the Gulf of Mexico somehow shifting 250 miles inland, Dallas is and will always be just as landlocked as *gasp* Mexico City!
See, we shouldn't confuse the OP. There is something going on in southern Dallas county (really). It is happening partly because Houston is vulnerable to storms. It is also happening because of advancing technology. And it is also happening because of the numerous types of trucking that will be located in this area where the I-20 by pass intersects I-45. There might also be two major rail ports serving this area in the future as well. After that, look for major manufacturing and distribution to settle in the area. That will bring break down truck ports and huge private trucking fleets to the area as well.
Why doesn't anyone mention this aspect of the argument?
So, once again, the potential for this area is tremendous.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
See, we shouldn't confuse the OP. There is something going on in southern Dallas county (really). It is happening partly because Houston is vulnerable to storms. It is also happening because of advancing technology. And it is also happening because of the numerous types of trucking that will be located in this area where the I-20 by pass intersects I-45. There might also be two major rail ports serving this area in the future as well. After that, look for major manufacturing and distribution to settle in the area. That will bring break down truck ports and huge private trucking fleets to the area as well.
Why doesn't anyone mention this aspect of the argument?
So, once again, the potential for this area is tremendous.
I'm not sure why you responded to my post about Dallas being landlocked with a discussion of what it going on in south Dallas County, but oh well. Nothing that is happening in south Dallas County is occurring because of "storms" in Houston. Things are happening because our economy is growing and we are centrally located. I don't think anyone disagrees with the potential for growth in the area.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure why you responded to my post about Dallas being landlocked with a discussion of what it going on in south Dallas County, but oh well. Nothing that is happening in south Dallas County is occurring because of "storms" in Houston. Things are happening because our economy is growing and we are centrally located. I don't think anyone disagrees with the potential for growth in the area.
Once again, you fail to appreciate the confluence of the four types of trucking that will be located in the area in the near future -- Over the road, container, break down, and private fleets. There could also be two railroad container ports.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Once again, you fail to appreciate the confluence of the four types of trucking that will be located in the area in the near future -- Over the road, container, break down, and private fleets. There could also be two railroad container ports.
No, I fully understand the land-based transportation options that are currently available and might become available in the future. You have been arguing that Dallas should not be considered a landlocked city anymore--this is what I am disagreeing with you about. Even if Dallas had 10 or 100 different types of land transportation available, Dallas is still landlocked--the nearest major port is in Houston. It's as simple as that.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
No, I fully understand the land-based transportation options that are currently available and might become available in the future. You have been arguing that Dallas should not be considered a landlocked city anymore--this is what I am disagreeing with you about. Even if Dallas had 10 or 100 different types of land transportation available, Dallas is still landlocked--the nearest major port is in Houston. It's as simple as that.
Sorry, but we are going to disagree on this forever. Nothing is ever going to be that simple as things will change over time. Indeed, back when there were encyclopedias, there were cities that were considered land locked. Once again, it is the potential for a massive confluence of the four different kinds of trucking, which there are only four, in the southern Dallas county area with these being over-the-road, containerized, break-down, and the major manufacturers and distributers with their own private fleets that will make this area centrally important and unique.
As I mentioned in a prior post, I use to haul beer from a brewery in Houston some 333 miles to the port of New Orleans even though it was located only 10 miles from the port of Houston itself. In comparison, southern Dallas County is located 215 miles away. So, in regards to the what use to be considered "land locked," a person today really needs to squint their ears.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 PM

That makes no sense at all, but if believing that Dallas is somehow a seaport makes you feel better far be it from me to rain any further on your parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas