Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:31 AM

912 posts, read 1,888,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Legacy Plano is a significant employment center, too.
Yes, but that area has been overtaken in significance by the shopping center in Frisco. It is part of the commercial shopping district. Not only is Stonebriar Center huge now, but its potential to expand in retail in the future is tremendous.
In other words, Legacy Plano is now considered lead-in development to
the Stonebriar commercial shopping district and not vice versa.
In comparison, Las Colinas and the Telecom Corridor don't have this kind of retail. So, they are major employment centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
So, yes, DFW is unique in this regard. The area has the capacity to do things that Houston and Atlanta don't. As this metropolitan area surpasses the Chicago area in population, this advantage will increase exponentially.
DFW probably will not pass Chicago until after you are dead. I will probably be very, very old at that time.

And thats if DFW continues its growth as it is.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
DFW probably will not pass Chicago until after you are dead. I will probably be very, very old at that time.

And thats if DFW continues its growth as it is.
You do understand that what Chicago is to the northern part of the United States, Dallas - Fort Worth is becoming to the south? As growth in Dallas - Fort Worth doesn't really benefit Houston that much as a market, the growth in Houston and the surrounding states benefits Dallas - Fort Worth as a market.
As a truck driver, I used to drive 333 miles from Houston to deliver freight to the port of New Orleans. Significance? Well, that is further away than what southern Dallas County is from the port of Houston. DFW should be considered a minor seaport as well and it is becoming so.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
You do understand that what Chicago is to the northern part of the United States, Dallas - Fort Worth is becoming to the south? As growth in Dallas - Fort Worth doesn't really benefit Houston that much as a market, the growth in Houston and the surrounding states benefits Dallas - Fort Worth as a market.
As a truck driver, I used to drive 333 miles from Houston to deliver freight to the port of New Orleans. Significance? Well, that is further away than what southern Dallas County is from the port of Houston. DFW should be considered a minor seaport as well and it is becoming so.
If by "is to the South what Chicago is to the Midwest" you mean largest metro area in the region, sure. The rest is debatable. Chicago is much more important than any other metro area in the Midwest without a close 2nd. However in the Southern states there are 4 metro areas that preform different functions, but are more or less as important as each other (DFW, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta). So overall, I disagree with that statement. And no, Dallas is not a seaport and its geography prevents it from being one.

Either way, this is off topic.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Quote:
Yes, but that area has been overtaken in significance by the shopping center in Frisco. It is part of the commercial shopping district. Not only is Stonebriar Center huge now, but its potential to expand in retail in the future is tremendous.
In other words, Legacy Plano is now considered lead-in development to
the Stonebriar commercial shopping district and not vice versa.
In comparison, Las Colinas and the Telecom Corridor don't have this kind of retail. So, they are major employment centers.
Are you familiar with the Legacy Plano area?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If by "is to the South what Chicago is to the Midwest" you mean largest metro area in the region, sure. The rest is debatable. Chicago is much more important than any other metro area in the Midwest without a close 2nd. However in the Southern states there are 4 metro areas that preform different functions, but are more or less as important as each other (DFW, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta). So overall, I disagree with that statement. And no, Dallas is not a seaport and its geography prevents it from being one.

Either way, this is off topic.
Galveston used to be the primary seaport and the second wealthiest city in the United States. What happened to it? Well, it got destroyed by a hurricane. The infrastructure of Houston gets hit by hurricanes and tropical storms all the time. As a hurricane pushed the port business fifty miles from Galveston to Houston, it pushes the business from Houston to Dallas.
See, I said minor seaport and I said southern Dallas County. Even further south of that along I-45 is the city of Ennis serving as a similar burgeoning distribution point where the interstate splits up to lead into both the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth.
Atlanta and Dallas are similar as regional distribution points. But Atlanta isn't as well positioned. Do you understand the significance of the Dallas - Fort Worth area market increasing in size exponentially as its population increases over the Houston area? Right now, the Dallas - Fort Worth area has 660,000 more people. Yet, the area has about three stores to every two in Houston. Do you understand why this is so?
When you go 214 miles south of Houston, where are you? When you go 214 miles south of Dallas, where are you? (The answer is Houston.)

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Are you familiar with the Legacy Plano area?
Yes, I am familiar with it. It is quite significant. But the Stonebriar Center development has become more the magnate as it is attracting more things to that particular area. The recently announced billion dollar production studio being one.
As I understand it, there are 40,000 people working in Legacy Plano. That is quite significant. But the Dallas area has the capacity to spawn and maintain commercial shopping districts. These things are bigger than mall areas, a collection of retail built around the flagship of a mall. As large as Stonebriar is now as as shopping district, it will become a behemoth in the future.
I don't foresee Legacy Plano developing office space like in Uptown in Houston to the extent that the office buildings take precedence over the shopping. In Houston, that area is no longer referred to as the Galleria area, but is now called Uptown and takes on more the characteristics of a central business district.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:13 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Quote:
Yes, I am familiar with it. It is quite significant. But the Stonebriar Center development has become more the magnate as it is attracting more things to that particular area. The recently announced billion dollar production studio being one.
As I understand it, there are 40,000 people working in Legacy Plano. That is quite significant. But the Dallas area has the capacity to spawn and maintain commercial shopping districts. These things are bigger than mall areas, a collection of retail built around the flagship of a mall. As large as Stonebriar is now as as shopping district, it will become a behemoth in the future.
I don't foresee Legacy Plano developing office space like in Uptown in Houston to the extent that the office buildings take precedence over the shopping. In Houston, that area is no longer referred to as the Galleria area, but is now called Uptown and takes on more the characteristics of a central business district.
I work in the Legacy Plano, but live in the city of Dallas. Most of the people I sit near have never been to Stonebriar or even know of its existence. I don't see the areas as related at all. When you come up north on the Tollway you don't even get to or see the mall or the adjacent retail before you take the Tennyson or Legacy exit.

Pizza Hut is building its new HQ there now, too.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 30,314 times
Dallas is too pretentious. No night life in Downtown Dallas at all. TO damn hot in the summer. DAllas is in the middle of no where. Hate the small and three lanes highways could be a little bigger. I hate how dallas build everything North of Downtown Dallas and leave out South Dallas and Oakcliff.Dislikes. This is what i like about DALLAS. UPTOWN DALLAS IS NICE AND ALSO HAVE A GREAT NIGHT LIFE. LOVE THE DALLAS COWBOYS, LOVE THE NEW STADIUM. LOVE ALL THE SHOPPING MALLS LOVE THE RESURANTS IN THE CITY AND LOVE ALL THE SUBURBS IN THE CITY PLANO,ADDISON,CEDAR HILL, FRISCO AND ETC. Dallas suburbs fells like cities rather than suburbs.

Last edited by coastcity; 10-13-2010 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 12:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Quote:
I work in the Legacy Plano, but live in the city of Dallas. Most of the people I sit near have never been to Stonebriar or even know of its existence. I don't see the areas as related at all. When you come up north on the Tollway you don't even get to or see the mall or the adjacent retail before you take the Tennyson or Legacy exit.

Pizza Hut is building its new HQ there now, too.
I work on Legacy and 100% agree with you. Nifty's conclusion that Legacy gains strength from Stonebriar is completely backwards. There would be no homes, shops, malls, etc in that area if the Legacy business park hadn't been developed in the late 1980s.

I rarely go to Stonebriar or the mega strip centers that surround it. It can't be that major if the NTTA failed to build a connector ramp to 121/Stonebriar from the Tollroad....which they are now going back to do.

When I run errands or go out to lunch during the work day, I head to Shops @ Legacy or south into Plano's Willowbend/Park neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas