Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM

130 posts, read 579,731 times

Advertisements

When I was 16 I weighed 260 pounds (at 6'3" tall) and was not muscular either. I lost 60 pounds and put on significant muscle (meaning I lost more than just 60 pounds of fat) by the time I was 18. I did all of this at a city gym with old equiptment and walking in my neighborhood.

About age 18, I heard a friend talking about lifetime and became jealous. His parents paid the membership and when I asked mine, they said 'no way!' but they were happy to continue to pay for the city gym.

I was in NO denial why I joined, I wanted to go to a more expensive, trendy gym. It had nothing to do with getting better results. I joined lifetime with my own money and worked out there for 3-4 months. The place IS nice. But honestly, other than the sauna and a wider selection of weights, it really wasn't an advantage over were I was going.

I knew the people at Carpenter Park (my original gym); ALL the regulars. They saw me go from being fat and shy, to fit and confident in 2 years. People always said hi. They always got into a conversation. In four months at lifetime, I didn't meet anyone. Everyone was rushed and somewhat pretentious. I felt like all the staff were trying to sell you Cutco or something. I dropped my membership for price reasons. It is absolutely too expensive for me. When I went back to Carpenter for the first time, I was really happy to be back.

The moral of the story is, it isn't the price of the gym. It is the effort you put in. Also, Oak Pointe and Liberty (Plano city gyms) have an extended weight collection. I got very fit for 80 dollars a year (and a ton of effort) and Lifetime is more than that a month. They sell EVERYTHING. I have no problem with them making a high profit and I have no problem with wealthy people working out there. More power to them. My only comment is that I couldn't afford Lifetime and didn't need it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,665,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb0 View Post
When I was 16 I weighed 260 pounds (at 6'3" tall) and was not muscular either. I lost 60 pounds and put on significant muscle (meaning I lost more than just 60 pounds of fat) by the time I was 18. I did all of this at a city gym with old equiptment and walking in my neighborhood.

About age 18, I heard a friend talking about lifetime and became jealous. His parents paid the membership and when I asked mine, they said 'no way!' but they were happy to continue to pay for the city gym.

I was in NO denial why I joined, I wanted to go to a more expensive, trendy gym. It had nothing to do with getting better results. I joined lifetime with my own money and worked out there for 3-4 months. The place IS nice. But honestly, other than the sauna and a wider selection of weights, it really wasn't an advantage over were I was going.

I knew the people at Carpenter Park (my original gym); ALL the regulars. They saw me go from being fat and shy, to fit and confident in 2 years. People always said hi. They always got into a conversation. In four months at lifetime, I didn't meet anyone. Everyone was rushed and somewhat pretentious. I felt like all the staff were trying to sell you Cutco or something. I dropped my membership for price reasons. It is absolutely too expensive for me. When I went back to Carpenter for the first time, I was really happy to be back.

The moral of the story is, it isn't the price of the gym. It is the effort you put in. Also, Oak Pointe and Liberty (Plano city gyms) have an extended weight collection. I got very fit for 80 dollars a year (and a ton of effort) and Lifetime is more than that a month. They sell EVERYTHING. I have no problem with them making a high profit and I have no problem with wealthy people working out there. More power to them. My only comment is that I couldn't afford Lifetime and didn't need it anyway.
True. BUT a family at life time can do a huge amount of activites together, sports, rock climbing, spending the whole day at the outdoor resort pool as well as functions(daddy/daughter dance, etc). If I hadn't needed to lower costs, I would have stayed there.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM

104 posts, read 250,898 times
Quote:

I agree that if one is self motivated, an old "grunt and Groan" gym is the perfect place to workout. If one needs external motivation, going to a nice facility can provide that. adding classes, with good instructors, and a good place to change from your business attire to your workout gear in order to avoid going home and getting comfortable, a family atmosphere so you can bring the kids, and not have that excuse, as well as the guilt one gets from seeing the bill if they are not using it. It all depends on your needs.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:54 PM

130 posts, read 579,731 times
To both who quoted me-

Like I said Lifetime is nice. It is huge, it has tons of features. For me, It isn't what I need though.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:51 PM

104 posts, read 250,898 times
Quote:
To both who quoted me-

Like I said Lifetime is nice. It is huge, it has tons of features. For me, It isn't what I need though.
Right and I agreed with you, I quoted you because I was expanding on that

Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM

95 posts, read 212,045 times
I am in the fitness industry. Among the fitness industry, the reputation is not great. For that reason, if you like personal training and group exercise, you will find better someplace else. They do not treat their employees very well, so the top-of-the-line people go elsewhere.
That said, if you are sheerly interested in the equipment and facilities it is very nice. If you have kids, the pool is wonderful. This alone made me continue working there for a year longer than my compadres. For the price they charge, I would rather be a member of Equinox which might be a tiny bit more, but has wonderful classes staff and amenities. You better be gorgeous to work out at Equinox though, or have no ego whatsoever :-)

Old 04-13-2011, 09:57 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,665,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btheferrett View Post
I am in the fitness industry. Among the fitness industry, the reputation is not great. For that reason, if you like personal training and group exercise, you will find better someplace else. They do not treat their employees very well, so the top-of-the-line people go elsewhere.
That said, if you are sheerly interested in the equipment and facilities it is very nice. If you have kids, the pool is wonderful. This alone made me continue working there for a year longer than my compadres. For the price they charge, I would rather be a member of Equinox which might be a tiny bit more, but has wonderful classes staff and amenities. You better be gorgeous to work out at Equinox though, or have no ego whatsoever :-)
I was in the fitness industry for 10 years. Mgt and personal training before real estate. I have friends that work at the Allen location in PT. They like it and for the market being down, are still making really good money. A couple of the trainers there are pulling in around 90-100k. They amount of people thru the door gives them a good shot at making money. They have never complained about it other then sometimes they get scheduled for a Saturday. Nothings perfect. Back in the day I worked at Q the sport club. It was a great place as well before 24 hour took over.

Bottom line, if you have kids, this place rocks if you have the extra cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas