Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

Henninger: Rick Perry—Ready for Prime Time? - WSJ.com

article gives his wife the nod for him becoming more active about putting himself in the limelight--
which only proves that WSJ does not know Perry at all
while she may have said he had a good chance for the Republican candidate
Perry needs no help from anyone to place himself in the limelight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:08 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
If Perry runs and wins the Republican nomination, and Obama runs for reelection, then I think for the first time a third party candidate would have a real chance of winning the presidency PROVIDED he/she is a moderate...Obama rightly or wrongly is considered to be a bit too far left, while Perry is most DEFINITELY a far right guy...heck he is to the right of Bush which is really saying something. I know I wouldnt vote for either one, but a common sense middle of the road guy/gal (financially conservative but socially moderate) would get my vote, and I suspect a whole buch of others too.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
If Perry runs and wins the Republican nomination, and Obama runs for reelection, then I think for the first time a third party candidate would have a real chance of winning the presidency PROVIDED he/she is a moderate...Obama rightly or wrongly is considered to be a bit too far left, while Perry is most DEFINITELY a far right guy...heck he is to the right of Bush which is really saying something. I know I wouldnt vote for either one, but a common sense middle of the road guy/gal (financially conservative but socially moderate) would get my vote, and I suspect a whole buch of others too.
Correcto, Perry would be a terrible candidate as the Repubs nominee.
He'd be Bush-lite, meaning the gov of the second largest state but without the name and connections of the Bush family. Intellectually he'd sure be overmatched as W certainly was.
I hope the Christians can get over being so uptight about a Mormon as Prez, because he's looking like the leader for the nomination and needs the support from the rest of his party to have a chance against the incumbant. It is certainly early though and much can happen between now and Nov, 2012.
BTW - key for a Repub chance at victory is Rubio being nominated as the VP.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM

169 posts, read 433,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I hope the Christians can get over being so uptight about a Mormon as Prez, ...
Just remember a vote for JFK Jr. is a vote for the Pope and the Catholic Church to run the country

Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Arkansas Legislators | Rick Perry | Country Needs You | The Daily Caller
Quote:
Twenty Arkansas legislators are urging the Texas governor to run for president.

In a letter to Gov. Rick Perry, those Republican members of the Arkansas House encouraged the Texas governor to enter the race.

“Your country needs you now,” they proclaimed, explaining that his Texas record is unmatched by any other candidate or governor because of his economic policies, limited regulation, and the free market advocacy.
Maybe we could get Arkansas into the Big 12 in trade... ... oh wait, wrong finger...

Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Correcto, Perry would be a terrible candidate as the Repubs nominee.
He'd be Bush-lite, meaning the gov of the second largest state but without the name and connections of the Bush family. Intellectually he'd sure be overmatched as W certainly was.
I hope the Christians can get over being so uptight about a Mormon as Prez, because he's looking like the leader for the nomination and needs the support from the rest of his party to have a chance against the incumbant. It is certainly early though and much can happen between now and Nov, 2012.
BTW - key for a Repub chance at victory is Rubio being nominated as the VP.
Rubio does absolutely nothing for the GOP. He is only a draw to the Cubans who are already going to vote for the GOP.

If the GOP thinks they're going to win the Hispanic population simply by running a Hispanic candidate they have even less understanding of the dynamics of the Latino population than they've shown up til now--most Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans (numerically the vast majority of Latinos in the USA) don't know who he is, in my experience don't particularly care for Cubans, and statistically have been shown to not vote based on race over politics. They're socially more conservative than other groups of the Democratic base but that doesn't mean they're going to vote for an anti-poor and anti-immigrant ticket simply because one of the guys is named Mario.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Rubio does absolutely nothing for the GOP. He is only a draw to the Cubans who are already going to vote for the GOP.
Just as Judge Sotomayor gets counted as Hispanic even though she's not from Mexico or central America, Rubio will be counted as a Hispanic.
When the guy gets up there and stumps in fluent Spanish and has a Latino surname with Latino looks, the American-Hispanics will vote for him, and that's a vote the Repubs need to have a real shot next year in the Prez election.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 AM

198 posts, read 502,348 times
@JimBaker you absolutely have no idea what the heck your talking about.....

Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
apparently Perry did great this weekend and was the speaker the crowd responded to the best--
just goes to prove there is a sucker born every minute

Old 06-21-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
apparently Perry did great this weekend and was the speaker the crowd responded to the best--
just goes to prove there is a sucker born every minute
Diane Sawyer described Perry last night on ABC-News as a "larger than life" Texan. I have no idea what that is suppose to mean, but what I do know is that Perry is a wind-bag, light-weight politician who happens to be the governor of a state which is economically performing well
(compared to the rest of the country), for which he had absolutely nothing to do with, i.e., he just happens to be in the right place at the right time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas