Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 22,159 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the restaurant with the headphones may have been the 94th Aerosquadron? Its actually a chain with a few still open, all beside airports. There is still one in Miami, right off the Dolphin Freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 22,159 times
Yes, there was a drink called the Lighthouse. Some of the others were Maxwell's Silver Hammer, the Crimson Tide, the Blue Meanie, the Sun King. Can't remember any more, but i think i may have a menu from Andrew's, if i can find it. I think i have a recipe for Artichoke Nibbles as well. If i can find it, I'll post it.

I remember lots of great singers/guitar players up in the perch.

Great place to work, and great people.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:51 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoCoRojo View Post
Sounds like the restaurant with the headphones may have been the 94th Aerosquadron? Its actually a chain with a few still open, all beside airports. There is still one in Miami, right off the Dolphin Freeway.
What I remember about 94th Aerosquadron was military noises (voices, ammunition, bombs, etc.) that played faintly from speakers hidden in the landscaping as one entered the restaurant from the parking lot. I, also, remember it being a pretty good place to eat. I was a teenager back then and ate there with my family occasionally.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,152 times
I think it was called Chelsea's or Chelsea's Corner. I loved European Crossroads! Do you remember they would drop fake snow during the holiday season? There was another restaurant called Saturday's that we liked to hang out at. Do you remember the name of the outdoor beer garden across the street. Probably ran into you at all of the bars. I think there was a disco called Cowboys near the #3 Lift, although I might be getting confused. Tony Dorsett got into a fight one night when we were there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
The Beggar and the Bellringer were next to European Crossroads. #3 Lift was on the back corner of European Crossroads but that was "an older crowd" for us. This was the late 1970's and we were getting into these places with our "faux" IDs! LOL!

I've drawn a blank on the other place in European Crossroads that was popular with our teenage crowd (they were lax at checking IDs, hence its popularity). It was crammed with long tables and they always a band playing songs like "Sweet Home Alabama" that we'd all sing along to. We'd order cheese nachos (that came in a huge pile) and drink pitchers of beer. It was a chain because there was one in Austin, too. What was the name of that place??? It's now driving me nuts.

Back then, European Crossroads wasn't a rough area.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Chelsea Street Pub -- Chelsea Corner was an Andrews-like SMU hangout on McKinney Ave at Monticello.

Everytime I hear "Aimee" I think of that place - we sang along to that song for hours, it seems..Robert Lee Kolb -- wasn't that the usual singer?

And those nachos seemed so great back then -- that was before the ballparks had them.

Sometimes we also hit the dance place, After the Gold Rush -- I think it's now a funeral parlor - how appropriate!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM

436 posts, read 1,347,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I remember calling this place Fargo's. Was it Fargo's Grand Junction Pizza? It had the separate wooden booths? I spent A LOT of time there in junior high and high school. We could walk there.
We used to go there too. I'm with dconkl01...excellent pizza, Centipede and Galaga. I read the SI article as well..thought about trying to find Ross Miller to show my gratitude for some fun nights in high school.

Have a theory on why Spanish Village can't hold businesses there for a decent period of time? With the exception of Durango, Chuck's and now Bagelstein's, businesses come and go way too often. Even Border's couldn't survive!

Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Have a theory on why Spanish Village can't hold businesses there for a decent period of time? With the exception of Durango, Chuck's and now Bagelstein's, businesses come and go way too often. Even Border's couldn't survive!
Border's left due to crime. They had so many breakins when they first moved in there. People would just bash in the front windows and make a run for the DVDs and run out with them. The employee told me it happened 6 or 7 times mostly when they first opened and less so recently. He said the sales in the store were pretty good though. Borders, he told me, fired the two people who picked the location because the company felt it was such a dud.

I had someone else tell me Spanish Village couldn't get or keep tenants because the owners were overly picky about who they let in. First they wanted to get all the Olla Podrida businesses because that place had just closed and they wanted to upgrade the tenants overall to unique kinds of places. They ran the convenience store and Braums out of there (or so people told me). They only allow certain higher caliber places. The Olla Podrida idea never panned out. Plus, folks tell me the rent is HIGH. I don't think Fargo's has ever been anything else.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:27 AM

221 posts, read 600,278 times
Default European Crossroads

Oh my goodness, I had forgotten about European Crossroads. That was a really cool place. And yeah, I remember the snow. I remember they used to have a little wedding chapel there as well...kind of reminiscent of the Las Vegas style wedding chapels. I long for Dallas the way it used to be, before the crack pipe selling convenience stores and low life that inhabits so many of the areas that used to be considered nice.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
That area has gone down along with a lot of Northwest Dallas, and it's not just in the city. However many areas which were bad back in those days are much better, in fact maybe too gentrified!.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 PM

9 posts, read 38,621 times
Default Fargos was the old name

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I remember calling this place Fargo's. Was it Fargo's Grand Junction Pizza? It had the separate wooden booths? I spent A LOT of time there in junior high and high school. We could walk there.

Yes, Grand Junction Pizza use to be called Fargos back in the 70's. From the old-timers who use to work there not much changed except the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas