Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:59 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,771 times

Advertisements

Not really.

But my wife had 'The Bachelor' on or 'Bachelor Pad' regardless, the entire cast was white. Like 40 people. It might be a bit telling of this country's true thoughts (aside from any Yahoo sports article that generally devolves into overt derogatory slurs) that in 2011 the guy/gal on that show who has pledged to marry a random stranger- as long as they're all the same color.

But what's more interesting is how the eliminations would play out.

Or to stack the deck and make it a 'social experiment' and have the Latino/Asian/Indian guys be substantially taller, wealthier, better looking than the White guys just to see how it all plays out.

For that matter why are the housewife shows (except ATL and DC) monochromatic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,560,569 times
Quote:
But my wife had 'The Bachelor' on or 'Bachelor Pad' regardless, the entire cast was white
I'd be happy about that! These shows don't exactly represent the "cream of the crop" to me! I think previous seasons have featured more "diversity"--you are right though, they are pretty monochromatic.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I wouldn't be surprised if the producers didn't ask the bachelor/ette what kind of person he would be interested in (looks, interests, education, etc) so that there would be SOME chance that true feelings and attraction would emerge. Otherwise the show would be a waste of time.

Honestly, I don't meet 40 people I'm attracted to in any given year. You'd have to go cull out of the herd...I may be attracted to one out of every few of thousand people I meet (if not more).

So my guess is that they are stacking the deck with what the guy/gal says they want.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:27 AM

965 posts, read 1,886,664 times
I see the OP's "Negro Wake Up Call" and comeuppance from living in Dallas has him pressed and asking all sorts of questions, chiiiilllle...

In spite of the hysterics of white supremacists and black militants about interracial dating, for the most part, people look to date those who have the most in common with them. More often than not, race is a factor. Most people are not strong enough to deal with cultural differences and societal pressure when it comes to dating outside of their race.

As a black 30-something divorcee who has been navigating the treacherous dating pool, I have learned to open myself up to dating people of different backgrounds and races. I have been in a relationship with a wonderful Hispanic man for almost a year now and have dated White men in the past.

For the most part, even in 2011, people don't want to see an interracial couple on television. It's a sad reality in today's world, oh well. Black men and women are often viewed to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to dating/marriage material by society in general, so of course this would be reflected on a TV show. However, I hope you aren't looking to scripted reality television shows as a barometer of how things should be or people's life choices.

Regarding those awful "Housewives" shows, the real elite of each cities wouldn't touch those shows with a 10-foot pole. Real Housewives of Atlanta and DC were not accurate portrayals of how the elite live in those cities. The ATL show in particular was made up of a bunch of broke hoodrats looking for a come up (to be fair, a lot of the women in the entire franchise have money problems). The only women on that show who had money were Kandi Burruss and Phaedra Parks, and they weren't really housewives, as they were self-made women with their own careers. The Links/Jack and Jill black elite in Atlanta didn't want any parts of that show, trust and believe.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 08-28-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,630 times
"For the most part, even in 2011, people don't want to see an interracial couple on television."

You're right, although I have seen a mattress commercial with a white man and black woman jumping into their new bed. That's earth shattering for TV commercials. Wonder if they will ever have gays too?

As a white man in my late 50's, and having grown up in segregated Chicago, I saw all kinds of neighborhood changes on the south side of the city. I am now proud of how my generation has embraced integration. When we lived in Allen, there were several Black families, Indians, Pakistanis, Whites. We all just got along, minded our own business, kept our houses neat.

We're not yet perfect, but compared to the 50's it's a big change.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I see the OP's "Negro Wake Up Call" and comeuppance from living in Dallas has him pressed and asking all sorts of questions, chiiiilllle...

In spite of the hysterics of white supremacists and black militants about interracial dating, for the most part, people look to date those who have the most in common with them. More often than not, race is a factor. Most people are not strong enough to deal with cultural differences and societal pressure when it comes to dating outside of their race.

As a black 30-something divorcee who has been navigating the treacherous dating pool, I have learned to open myself up to dating people of different backgrounds and races. I have been in a relationship with a wonderful Hispanic man for almost a year now and have dated White men in the past.

For the most part, even in 2011, people don't want to see an interracial couple on television. It's a sad reality in today's world, oh well. Black men and women are often viewed to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to dating/marriage material by society in general, so of course this would be reflected on a TV show. However, I hope you aren't looking to scripted reality television shows as a barometer of how things should be or people's life choices.

Regarding those awful "Housewives" shows, the real elite of each cities wouldn't touch those shows with a 10-foot pole. Real Housewives of Atlanta and DC were not accurate portrayals of how the elite live in those cities. The ATL show in particular was made up of a bunch of broke hoodrats looking for a come up. The only women on that show who had money were Kandi Burruss and Phaedra Parks, and they weren't really housewives, as they were self-made women with their own careers. The Links/Jack and Jill black elite in Atlanta didn't want any parts of that show, trust and believe.
Negro wake-up call?

I navigated the halls of a prep school (academic scholarship) that boasted children of the Ford and Dodge families. Was an officer for my schools Black Council that came from the Black Action Movement (BAM) during the 80's. Howard University instilled pride in me and my Blackness and the responsibilities of the 'talented tenth' that simply cannot be bought and which I've found lacking in much of Dallas. DC has a visible, active Black progressive class. I survived residency on the east coast. Making any patient feel comfortable and safe, but in some instances an older white person, who never thought they'd share a restaurant or drinking fountain with a Black man, takes a soft touch...and I am never, ever, sick at sea.

What I put out for discussion is just that. I have fun with it.

The point is more, as much a people say they're comfortable with things, television and commercials to some extent tell a contrary tale.

Don't give up on the brothers...a weekend in DC could change your life.

Last edited by GreyDay; 08-28-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 12:44 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I've lived in a wealthy neighborhood in the Dallas area for 22 years and never once have I heard a conversation about how some person of color bought a house.

That's ridiculous.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
I think people assume race is a more important issue in Dallas than it really is. The city is a lot more diverse, integrated and accepting than a lot of people who dont live here today give it credit for. When I lived in Atlanta race was brought up all the time. But people think of Atlanta as a place of racial equality when that isnt truly the case. Perception and reality can often be quite the opposite.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think people assume race is a more important issue in Dallas than it really is. The city is a lot more diverse, integrated and accepting than a lot of people who dont live here today give it credit for. When I lived in Atlanta race was brought up all the time. But people think of Atlanta as a place of racial equality when that isnt truly the case. Perception and reality can offer be quite the opposite.
Atlanta has a Black middle class living in parallel with a majority middle class. There's some overlap in where people live but not much in how they socialize. So it's a diverse city (not forgetting Asians, Latino/Latina...) but there is not much social intercourse amongst those of different races.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM

965 posts, read 1,886,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Negro wake-up call?

I navigated the halls of a prep school (academic scholarship) that boasted children of the Ford and Dodge families. Was an officer for my schools Black Council that came from the Black Action Movement (BAM) during the 80's. Howard University instilled pride in me and my Blackness and the responsibilities of the 'talented tenth' that simply cannot be bought and which I've found lacking in much of Dallas. DC has a visible, active Black progressive class. I survived residency on the east coast. Making any patient feel comfortable and safe, but in some instances an older white person, who never thought they'd share a restaurant or drinking fountain with a Black man, takes a soft touch...and I am never, ever, sick at sea.

What I put out for discussion is just that. I have fun with it.

The point is more, as much a people say they're comfortable with things, television and commercials to some extent tell a contrary tale.

Don't give up on the brothers...a weekend in DC could change your life.
Exactly my point...Dallas does not have as active and progressive of a black middle class as the DC area has. When I lived there, it was quite obvious that people in North Texas didn't interact well with the black professional crowd there. Being expected to know your place and tow the line is the rule of the day.

And nope, I haven't given up on the brothers yet here in DC either. Lots of educated brothers here about some business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas