Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 18,133 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My name is Alex and I'm relocating with my wife and my 2.5 yo daughter from Israel to an office that will be opened in Dallas.
We are looking for a close-to-office home to rent. It has to be near a Jewish/Israeli community.
Any help and tips are appreciated as I'm completely clueless.
Below is the map of office locations considered by my mgmt. I suppose they are all quite concentrated - so it shouldn't affect which one in particular is chosen.

Thanks,
Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
Second what hplindley says. The core of the Jewish community in the area is in the northern part of Dallas whereas it seems as if you're looking mostly in the Irving area.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,630 times
That area south of LBJ between Preston and Hillcrest even got a Jewish pass so that the mothers could even use strollers on the Sabbath. Can't remember what it's called but it is a zone where you can do stuff that you can't do elsewhere. It made the Dallas Morning News a few years ago.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,268 times
My husband is Israeli, and we had many Israeli friends living in Far North Dallas and Plano. At my kids' elementary, Hightower in Plano ISD, there were probably a few Israeli kids in each grade level. Here is a link to a good Israeli grocery where you can get your fix of Bamba, Jachnoon, etc.

Dallas' Best Kosher Restuarant - Milk & Honey Jerusalem Market & Grill

Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
That area south of LBJ between Preston and Hillcrest even got a Jewish pass so that the mothers could even use strollers on the Sabbath. Can't remember what it's called but it is a zone where you can do stuff that you can't do elsewhere. It made the Dallas Morning News a few years ago.
Its the Preston-Forest area very close to the Cooper Clinic. Large Jewish population and not a bad commute at all to the Irving/Las Colinas area where the OP's work location looks to be (just drive Royal west from Preston to avoid traffic, not too bad a drive....about 20-30 minutes in traffic)

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,680 times
With all those office in the North Irving area, ( Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area), I would live close to the office area and commute to the Jewish temple. But that is only an opinion.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
The Jewish community here runs the gamut from ultra-liberal to Orthodox and various small ultra-Orthodox sects.

It would help if you could specify what type of synagogue you are looking for, and whether you wish to live in an eruv. We have two here.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM

Thanks everyone that responded!
I would say we are pretty liberal. we dont have all those different sects in Israel.
I suppose we will feel comfortable in a supporting community. we are definitively not Ultra-orthodox.

Another question would be where can i start looking for houses? any recommended sites?
What is a fair price for a nice, not old, 3 bedroom apt (or a house)?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Here are my thoughts: RENT BEFORE YOU BUY!!! There are new, clean apartment complexes all around the Irving/Las Colinas area (near your work location). You may want to rent something for just 6 months while learning about the area before you decide what community in which to settle. If you rent in Irving, you will be close to work and during that time you can visit Jewish congregations to find the best fit. Expect to pay about $1200-$2000 to rent a decent 3 bedroom apartment in North Irving. Example: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ental=1&row=40

That will not include utilities, internet or cable TV. So plan on another $300 for those items. You will also need to purchase renter's insurance, this is pretty cheap.....about $100 for a year policy.

** If you want proximity to a Jewish community, and also within a reasonable communte to the Las Colinas area (where it looks like you will work) then North Dallas is the most logical choice. The best commute would be living in the Preston/Forest - Royal (called Preston Hollow) area. Plan to spend min. $350K for a 3/2/2 house about 2000 squre feet. Also, plan on sending your children to private schools because that area does not have the best schools.

**Alternate solution and has benefit of good work commute, excellent public schools, is Colleyville. There is a listing for Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, though I know nothing about it. Homes in Colleyville are generally large. So, while you will get a bigger house for your money with a very large land mass, you will also need to plan on spending about $350K but will get a larger home and can use public schools.

A couple of Rentals in the Preston Hollow area: 11041 Lawnhaven Rd Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11719771 - Realtor.com®

10417 Shadow Bend Dr Dallas TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11694032 - Realtor.com®

Rentals in Colleyville: 4205 Martin Pkwy Colleyville TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11700022 - Realtor.com®

5908 Pleasant Run Road Colleyville TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11693495 - Realtor.com®

Last edited by Squirl; 02-23-2012 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks Squirl. I am looking for rent (at least few years)
My kid is too young for schools (2.5) so i will need more like a day care or a kinder garden. Are these as well public/private?

Thanks!
Alex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas