Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,942 times

Advertisements

Looking for a fresh start in Dallas... may be working at Baylor... 30-something gal. Suggestions on the best place to be? Would prefer safe, hip, contained environment, but fun! Others near my age. Near park, shops, coffee, etc would be cool. Looking for trendy, upscale, up to around $2000/mo. Been looking at ThirdRailLofts and Kirby and Mosaic... opinions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,508 times
Trendy, upscale, to around $2000/month suggests Uptown, and within that, safe, hip fun contained environment suggests the West Village.

The places you mentioned are downtown, and I think the conventional wisdom on this board is that uptown has more of the kind of lively social scene than downtown (look at past discussions).

I think that budget might get you into some of the nicer buildings in Uptown... check this earlier thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...partments.html

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,942 times
Thank you so much!!! I just stayed at Renaissance at Turtle Creek this past week... LOVED it. Hopefully the guy that owns that place will let me sublease it for a couple months. Otherwise, I found a place in the center of Uptown with all bills paid and completely furnished for $2400/mo. Sounds kinda high, but by the time I consider driving time, and bills on top of $1500-1800/rent... it doesnt sound so bad.

Is the crowd in Uptown professional/30-40 somethings? I heard that Village area around SMU is more college-age and I'd prefer a little older crowd.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:22 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
While you'll see lots of younger twentysomethings in the Uptown bars, there are plenty of post-collegiate, thirtysomething, and fortysomething professionals in Uptown. You can't swing a bottle of pinot noir over your head without hitting one. Even Whole Foods, which has a store not far from Uptown on the Oak Lawn/Highland Park border, apparently as of last year, has been nosing around Uptown for another location:
Uptown is hungry for more grocery shopping | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News and Kroger is putting the finishing touches on a huge, new yupscale store at CityPlace which should be open any day now.

They wouldn't be doing that just for college kids.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,508 times
TrueDat is right. Other people know more than me, but note that the West Village is something different from the Village. (I don't think there's any connection at all, other than similar-sounding names).

The Village is located on the east side of 75, kind of across the highway from SMU (Greenville/Northwest Hwy/Skillman/Lovers) and is less expensive, definitely a magnet for young people.

The West Village is within the larger Uptown area west of 75 (Cole/McKinney/Blackburn/Lemmon), and is more upscale. That is what I suggested as an example of a self-contained community, with housing, restaurants, and shops all part of the same development. Good luck...

I'm not sure if we're allowed to give specific links on here, but the Village website is thevillageapts.com and the West Village website is westvil.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas