Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM

10 posts, read 18,781 times

Advertisements

oh no.

There's still off-Saks across from NorthPark Center. At least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,088,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
What?

Apparently you didn't understand my post. Miami doesn't have that long, southern-drawl and accent that you get in NOLA. Hence, the cultural disconnect. Of course it's generally "south," but that doesn't mean that it fits in culturally with the rest of the region. Baltimore is in the same region, but is more closely related with the northeast. Should they be in the same region? There's no need to educate me on what I already know.
Maybe you just don't express what you 'already' know.
At any rate if an area is in the south or any other region, it obviously belongs there if it is there.

Your reference to accents make me think about how much and how many times the south Fla. accent has changed. That can be said for many cities in the south. I must confess, I am not sure what you are writing about. I just wanted to make sure we didn't send Fla. off anywhere that is hasn't been.

Just, raj

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Maybe you just don't express what you 'already' know.
At any rate if an area is in the south or any other region, it obviously belongs there if it is there.

Your reference to accents make me think about how much and how many times the south Fla. accent has changed. That can be said for many cities in the south. I must confess, I am not sure what you are writing about. I just wanted to make sure we didn't send Fla. off anywhere that is hasn't been.

Just, raj
This again?

We are not in south Florida, and few people here really care how Dallas's shopping opportunities hold up against those in Miami or how people in south Florida talk.

We're in Dallas. Not Miami.

Just putting that out there.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM

92 posts, read 156,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
It is all so sad but I'm sure that better times will come. Our name in the southeast for BELK is BELCH.

Btw, we lost our best local chain , PARISIAN, when it was sold off by SAKS INC. to Belk.

Just , raj
Agreed. We are in the process of moving from Birmingham to Dallas... I spotted this thread and emailed my husband that we can't get away from Belk. I so miss Parisian... Von Maur seems like the next best thing....

Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
I seriously doubt that any "International Shoppers" come to Dallas, they go to London, Paris,New York, Milan, Melbourne, Madrid, Dubai & Hong Kong ... unless you are counting Mexicans as foreigners. Dallas is shopping mecca for small town southerners only.
Well, if international types happen to be in Dallas they DO go to the Galleria. At least they did when I lived there because I saw them all the time.

I left Texas in 2001, but I remember taking a new transplant to the Galleria one afternoon. After walking around for a while, she said ... "Wow, there are so many international people in this mall!"

Also saw Madonna and her small entourage shopping there back when she was doing her "Who's That Girl?" tour. So, the Galleria was a huge draw at one time.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Well, if international types happen to be in Dallas they DO go to the Galleria. At least they did when I lived there because I saw them all the time.

I left Texas in 2001, but I remember taking a new transplant to the Galleria one afternoon. After walking around for a while, she said ... "Wow, there are so many international people in this mall!"

Also saw Madonna and her small entourage shopping there back when she was doing her "Who's That Girl?" tour. So, the Galleria was a huge draw at one time.
We've been a few times since moving here and definitely noticed the international flavor of the clientele at the Galleria. Mainly Asians and we assume South Americans. Perhaps the attached hotel makes it easier for them, not being familiar with the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas