Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 AM

175 posts, read 483,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This from someone looking at homes that cost more than half a million dollars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's not a come back it's simply a statement of inarguable accuracy.
my statement was full of accuracy also I'm sorry u felt some kinda way about it. Have a nice weekend

Old 02-02-2013, 07:11 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
This is why Miami remains top luxury retail market in the south ..
I hardly consider Miami to fit into the "South", both culturally and geographically. It needs to have a different category. Also, it's definitely not the top luxury retail market in the south. I'm not sure how you got that idea.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 AM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
I hardly consider Miami to fit into the "South", both culturally and geographically. It needs to have a different category. Also, it's definitely not the top luxury retail market in the south. I'm not sure how you got that idea.
Not to be unpleasant, but you should embrace the idea that what you 'consider' and 'feel' don't qualify as accurate determinations of fact . You may be wrong; in fact since there is no other classification for Florida as it relates to the rest of the USA, it is most reasonably in the south. (New Orleans is culturally quite different but no one challenges it is part of the south. One was French, the other Spanish; these are some of the facts that make the south so different throughout its history) Miami's retail market is one of only six in the entire country that is truly internationally driven and for this reason alone it is most luxe. This of course doesn't even take into consideration the resident wealth which is most impressive. In fact Miami's second largest industry is South American banking. (one of the largest centers and it isn't even on the S.A. continent.) Miami has truly become to South America what New York is to Europe. I don't know why any of this would bother you. It just is. Being a forum though it is nice to interact.
Take care,
Just, raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 02-03-2013 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: correct information

Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Not to be unpleasant, but you should embrace the idea that what you 'consider' and 'feel' don't qualify as accurate determinations of fact . You may be wrong; in fact since there is no other classification for Florida as it relates to the rest of the USA, it is most reasonably in the south. (New Orleans is culturally quite different but no one challenges it is part of the south. One was French, the other Spanish; these are some of the facts that make the south so different throughout its history) Miami's retail market is one of only six in the entire country that is truly internationally driven and for this reason alone it is most luxe. This of course doesn't even take into consideration the resident wealth which is most impressive. In fact Miami's second largest industry is South American banking. (one of the largest centers and it isn't even on the S.A. continent.) Miami has truly become to South America what New York is to Europe. I don't know why any of this would bother you. It just is. Being a forum though it is nice to interact.
Take care,
Just, raj
What?

Apparently you didn't understand my post. Miami doesn't have that long, southern-drawl and accent that you get in NOLA. Hence, the cultural disconnect. Of course it's generally "south," but that doesn't mean that it fits in culturally with the rest of the region. Baltimore is in the same region, but is more closely related with the northeast. Should they be in the same region? There's no need to educate me on what I already know.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyy View Post
Bags with clearly visible brand logos are feel good props for women with self esteem issues.
What? That's a major generalization if I've ever seen one.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyy View Post
Buying "sky scrapper high ticket" items because you want them is just being rich, shallow and spoiled, buying high ticket items with brand name or logo slapped all over it is shallow, spoiled, tacky and sad. I was all that until my mid 20's but fortunately grew up and out of that self absorbed phase. I remember the high feeling of having an it item or a classic piece but hard to justify the fix once you've seen fragility of life.
Oh really? Just because you feel like you've outgrown that particular shopping mindset, does not make you better nor does it give you the leverage to make such negative remarks.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 AM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
What? That's a major generalization if I've ever seen one.
Agreed. They're status-communicators, Snowyy, and there's nothing wrong with that. A given handbag carried by a woman in her 30s says "affluent," and is the same handbag that will also be carried by the executive assistant in her 40s and 50s, that says "stable and established" (and, to give you some credit, which says "shallow clueless marketing victim" when carried by a teenager).

All brands are status symbols of one sort or another, from the junk at Old Navy to items found at Saks, etc. Some of them are actual luxury items (and bear the quality of construction to match), and others are Coach brand -- popular but shoddy goods that fall apart in a year or two. Much as I hate the marketing vibe, a Ralph Lauren shirt really *is* better-made than anything you're going to find at The Gap or Target. But status markers are important -- lawyers and high-end sales people drive nice cars for a reason. I used to know a very good lawyer (actually, he's now one of the most frightening sharks in Houston, but I've not talked to him in 20 years so can't really claim him as a friend any more). He drove a Ford Ranger pickup until the firm told him "lose the truck or we have to lose you."

Would you hire a lawyer who drove around in a beat-up Ford Ranger?

I have a quite low status SES-wise, and such brands are beyond what I can swing -- the houses you're looking at will easily cost four times what mine does. So I run with my own sense of style and have a clothier pull it off, picking goods that will (hopefully) last for decades rather than years. That doesn't mean you or I or anybody else has to resent "the brand game." For every designer out there who explicitly makes his designs to visually differentiate his customers from "the Men's Wearhouse losers" (actual quote, btw), there are other designers who are actually thinking about real quality. Those folks deserve better than a broad brush.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

30 posts, read 107,927 times
Galleria no longer provides an upscale shopping experience compared to NorthPark. The whole aura of the Galleria has changed.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcf View Post
Galleria no longer provides an upscale shopping experience compared to NorthPark. The whole aura of the Galleria has changed.
It has a bit, but it's not exactly a schlock mall. It still has a good number of upscale shops, but I like that it also has 'normal' stores. I find it easier to navigate than Northpark, and since Northpark has become so busy it's just as big of a PITA to park there as it is at Galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas