Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,929,257 times

Advertisements

1) I don't know anything about Belk, but it has to be better for the mall than an empty anchor.

2) Willow Bend's bigger problem was its ridiculous initial store mix. They left half the mall empty, rather than allow mainstream stuff like GameStop, GAP, etc. in their hallowed gound. Even Galleria and Northpark have SOME ordinary stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post

** Its like jeans at macys. All the jeans are sitting on a factory in china and the job is to grab the "label" and slap it on the jean. I am sure the same generic jean at walmart is the same quality jean at macys for 100 bucks..except its on the macys shelf with the label put on.
Not exactly. Most of the premium denim brands are made in downtown Los Angeles from either Japanese or American made denim. There is a reason those things cost more. Now, the jeans at Old Navy vs Hollister vs Target are all pretty close in make & quality (and may even come from the next row down at the same factory), but once you get into the $100-150& up denim, it is a better product and made in the USA.

Same thing with the $50-60 cotton tshirts (most made in downtown LA also) vs the $5-30 ones at Banana, Kohl's, Express, etc.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not exactly. Most of the premium denim brands are made in downtown Los Angeles from either Japanese or American made denim. There is a reason those things cost more. Now, the jeans at Old Navy vs Hollister vs Target are all pretty close in make & quality (and may even come from the next row down at the same factory), but once you get into the $100-150& up denim, it is a better product and made in the USA.

Same thing with the $50-60 cotton tshirts (most made in downtown LA also) vs the $5-30 ones at Banana, Kohl's, Express, etc.
Thanks for the insight! you made me remember of a family friend who started in the tshirt business, oh about 25 years ago..he was a teenager back then. His parents thought he was crazy trying to get into tshirts...fast forward 25 years later, college, mba, married kids going off to high school...they have a HUGE warehouse of import/export, usa made and imported...you guessed it..tshirts and activewear. He is a couple of years older and he must have minting while we were both in college!

I grew up in so cal and totally forgot about the LA garment district/warehouses!!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Thanks for the insight! you made me remember of a family friend who started in the tshirt business, oh about 25 years ago..he was a teenager back then. His parents thought he was crazy trying to get into tshirts...fast forward 25 years later, college, mba, married kids going off to high school...they have a HUGE warehouse of import/export, usa made and imported...you guessed it..tshirts and activewear. He is a couple of years older and he must have minting while we were both in college!

I grew up in so cal and totally forgot about the LA garment district/warehouses!!
There are also a lot of clothes still made in NYC, too. They aren't the cheap ones, but I'd rather spend my discretionary income on 1 pair of Hudson jeans vs 2 pair at Banana Republic or one knock-out Phillip Lim dress than 3-4 from Anthropologie. Even within brands, some items may be made in China while others are in the US or Europe. You can learn a lot by reading labels and choosing to have fewer items in your wardrobe that are better qualify and hopefully supporting American brands, workers, and factories

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM

692 posts, read 856,106 times
I'm a man of decidedly middle-class means (long on education, short on saleable skills), and so have used a clothier for years rather than pay retail markup. Was Sak's inventory that far inferior to NM's?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
I'm a man of decidedly middle-class means (long on education, short on saleable skills), and so have used a clothier for years rather than pay retail markup. Was Sak's inventory that far inferior to NM's?
So far as men's clothes in recent years there was/is no real comparison.

My wife's role at work dictates that she dress exceptionally well. She also buys mountains of clothes for our daughter - they shop like you and I breathe as in all the time. I pay the bills so I know where she shops. She spends more at NM than any other clothing store. I've never seen a Saks bill of any kind and her office is very near Saks.

If you've found a way to have custom mens clothes made that's less than retail pls DM me how.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:40 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Yes Please share! You can drop me a DM too!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
And a center of economic underachievement.
Tha

Last edited by Staysean23; 02-01-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
And a center of economic underachievement.
Yawn. What's that your final come back?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Saks leaving looks worse for Saks than Dallas. We are the only city outside of NYC to be the hometown of such a luxury dept store chain. Neiman's rules the Dallas area and Barney's and Saks could not provide the same customer service experience. Dallas has multiple locations of Neimans with one of them being the flagship (downtown) and one being the #1 profiting in the chain. Dallas shoppers are very sensitive and Saks and Barneys didn't give them what they wanted apparently.
Sounds like you're rationalizing the hometown monopoly here. I hate stopping by HEB for sundries while on vacation in San Antonio since they are the only one in town. NM is on its way there in DFW.

(I noticed this thread as the newest in the Texas forum and thought the title referred to the Houston Galleria. First Macy's in Downtown and now this? Whew what a relief!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas