Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
not entirely accurate. He did go to the hospital and tell the original staff where he came from but they sent him home with antibiotics and did not call attention to his travel history.
Right - this news was released AFTER I had wrote this post. Apparently it was the hospital staff who didn't relay this information - not the guy himself.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Apparently that was not the case at all
Right - AFTER I wrote that post, the news was released that he had indeed informed the first set of hospital personnel about his travel history, so it was the hospital staff who messed up. Wow, that's comforting - NOT.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
From what I understand, passengers leaving Liberia have their temperature taken before they're allowed on the plane. Apparently he didn't have a temperature when he left which would've indicated symptoms of an illness. When he came to Presby, a nurse doing his profile asked if he had traveled lately and if he came from Africa. According to reports -- he indicated he had recently traveled from Africa. BUT the information on his admin chart didn't get to the docs doing the initial diagnosis and they gave him anti-biotics and sent him home. Two days later, he had severe symptoms and was taken to the hospital in an ambulance.
Unless he had symptoms, there's no way he could've "known he had Ebola". Did he know if he was exposed to the virus? Maybe but there's no way of telling he knew unless he says he ways.
My gosh, he KNEW he'd been exposed. He was in the taxi with a patient who later DIED of Ebola - in fact, he CARRIED HER INTO THE HOSPITAL. His brother in law, who was also in the taxi, contracted Ebola and died as well.

The more we find out, the more I am suspecting that he knew he might have contracted it, and he got to the US as fast as he could to be HERE for treatment in case he came down with it.

Selfish, but I can't say that I entirely blame him. That being said, he should have isolated himself rather than EXPOSING HIMSELF TO SCHOOL CHILDREN. Damn.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 PM

263 posts, read 411,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - this news was released AFTER I had wrote this post. Apparently it was the hospital staff who didn't relay this information - not the guy himself.
I read a tweet somewhere that this is frequently the case with minorities who present to the ER without insurance - i.e. not admitted but sent with antibiotics! Another reminder that in a globalized world, suboptimal healthcare for anybody ends up affecting everyone else in the community. Two days lesser of exposure would have dramatically reduced the exponentially larger number of the patient's as well his contact's contacts.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDFW View Post
I read a tweet somewhere that this is frequently the case with minorities who present to the ER without insurance - i.e. not admitted but sent with antibiotics! Another reminder that in a globalized world, suboptimal healthcare for anybody ends up affecting everyone else in the community. Two days lesser of exposure would have dramatically reduced the exponentially larger number of the patient's as well his contact's contacts.
I'm pretty sure that this LIBERIAN citizen spoke with an accent. He also told a nurse that he was FROM LIBERIA. Heads need to roll on this one - there's no way this man should have ever, EVER been sent home, insurance or no insurance.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM

263 posts, read 411,066 times
Quote:
My gosh, he KNEW he'd been exposed. He was in the taxi with a patient who later DIED of Ebola - in fact, he CARRIED HER INTO THE HOSPITAL. His brother in law, who was also in the taxi, contracted Ebola and died as well.

The more we find out, the more I am suspecting that he knew he might have contracted it, and he got to the US as fast as he could to be HERE for treatment in case he came down with it.

Selfish, but I can't say that I entirely blame him. That being said, he should have isolated himself rather than EXPOSING HIMSELF TO SCHOOL CHILDREN. Damn.
Honestly, if I were in his place, I am not sure I would have done anything differently. With tickets booked and not feeling feverish, I would have hoped I hadn't contracted it at all.

Also, given the fact he actually volunteered to carry a non-family member likely stricken with Ebola to the hospital - the last thing I would call him is selfish!
Its not fun for us here in Dallas, but it helps to remember this is a real person here.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:09 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Honestly, if I were in his place, I am not sure I would have done anything differently. With tickets booked and not feeling feverish, I would have hoped I hadn't contracted it at all.

Also, given the fact he actually volunteered to carry a non-family member likely stricken with Ebola to the hospital - the last thing I would call him is selfish!
Its not fun for us here in Dallas, but it helps to remember this is a real person here.
BS! He knew he was going to get sick and wanted to be treated in the US for a better survival chance.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
As well as infected Americans, especially innocent kids. I hope he is the only person to have it, but I'm starting to have my doubts. I'll keep my eyes and hears open but if any new deals stating that now the children he was in contact with now have Ebola, we are in a world of trouble. Shutting down schools, barricading infected neighborhoods. I sure hope hospitals as well as doctors & nurses are prepared.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:

OK if all of this is correct not only can you blame him but you should blame him. If all of that, and if is a big word, is true the guy is selfish scumbag.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:

I'm not far from Dallas myself.

What I said was that I didn't really blame him - however, he SHOULD HAVE ISOLATED HIMSELF, especially when it comes to exposing SCHOOL CHILDREN. Sheeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas