Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 03:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..must be that nasty upper respiratory thing going round.
Allergies. This too should have been on my list above about what people are talking/concerned about. Pollen count has been steadily high for a couple of weeks. Drug stores in my hood are running low on antihistamines and it's not been unusual to see folks wearing surgical masks outdoors. This cooler weather should help.

Old 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Same here. Ironically enough, the people in hysteria over it are not the ones in Dallas.
We're definitely talking about it at home & the office, but in the context of "someone ship this SOB back to Liberia if he survives and WTF was the family thinkng who sent their Ebola-exposed child back to school yesterday", not in an "OMG, we're all gonna die" way.

I'm going to the fair this weekend and I can't wait! Great fair weather!

Old 10-03-2014, 09:44 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
Is there a distinct possibility that he knew he had Ebola and came to the US for treatment? Just wondering...
I'm going to say a big fat NO given that he was exposed 4 days before he left and would have had to procure his visa well before then. And probably his plane ticket.

He likely didn't even know the pregnant neighbor had ebola until he came. She was the only one who was sick and it could have been pregnancy complications. The rest of his neighbors didn't fall ill until he arrived here.

Give the dude a break.

I have no idea why this is in italics

Old 10-03-2014, 10:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

I'm going to say a big fat NO given that he was exposed 4 days before he left and would have had to procure his visa well before then. And probably his plane ticket.

He likely didn't even know the pregnant neighbor had ebola until he came. She was the only one who was sick and it could have been pregnancy complications. The rest of his neighbors didn't fall ill until he arrived here.

Give the dude a break.

I have no idea why this is in italics
My thoughts as well. How was this guy supposed to come here and seek treatment for something he didn't know he had?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I'm concerned about local politicians grandstanding and talking about "bringing charges" against the patient when:
  1. We don't know if he's even going to survive yet
  2. I haven't seen convincing proof that he knew he had Ebola...does this proof even exist?
  3. Isn't it kind of unfair to blame him when the real danger to the public also occurred due to crappy EHR software and an unprepared public health system?
  4. Talk of bringing charges could also discourage other people in his situation from coming forward out of fear of being prosecuted

Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Something for the peanut gallery to keep in mind...the mortality rate of Ebola in the US is currently 0%. 3 people have currently undergone successful treatment for the virus and the 4th is in the hospital.

Anybody know what the most common cause of death for Ebola victims is? It's multi-system organ failure brought on by dehydration and electrolytic imbalance...meaning if they can keep you hydrated and keep your blood pressure stable, the odds are in your favor.

So, in the words of the late George Carlin, calm down, have some dip...

Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We're definitely talking about it at home & the office, but in the context of "someone ship this SOB back to Liberia if he survives and WTF was the family thinkng who sent their Ebola-exposed child back to school yesterday", not in an "OMG, we're all gonna die" way.

I'm going to the fair this weekend and I can't wait! Great fair weather!
Ditto. I actually live pretty close to Vickery Meadows (maybe a half-mile to a mile or so away) and am not in a panic, though am certainly concerned. And yes, most talks have been about the one child showing up at school after they had been told to keep the child home, Presby dropping the ball and sending the patient home, etc... .

Old 10-03-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm concerned about local politicians grandstanding and talking about "bringing charges" against the patient when:
  2. I haven't seen convincing proof that he knew he had Ebola...does this proof even exist?
  3. Isn't it kind of unfair to blame him when the real danger to the public also occurred due to crappy EHR software and an unprepared public health system?
  4. Talk of bringing charges could also discourage other people in his situation from coming forward out of fear of being prosecuted
This! And we're talking about a population of people (recent immigrants) who already have a fear of government.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Ditto. I actually live pretty close to Vickery Meadows (maybe a half-mile to a mile or so away) and am not in a panic, though am certainly concerned. And yes, most talks have been about the one child showing up at school after they had been told to keep the child home, Presby dropping the ball and sending the patient home, etc... .
Correcting my post after looking at MapQuest. The apartment complex is two miles away for where I live. Always thought it was closer as I cut through the Vickery area to get to my favorite Target.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
He lied on his exit paperwork when leaving Liberia. And then he knowingly and willingly withheld very pertinent information from healthcare personnel.

He also knew he'd been exposed - very closely exposed - to Ebola just prior to coming here, and yet never told anyone - NOT EVEN THE FAMILY HE WAS STAYING WITH - this very pertinent fact. Note - he never told ANYONE. His nephew and his step daughter were the ones who told authorities. Not him.

He is not being threatened with prosecution because he has Ebola. He's being threatened with prosecution because he broke laws and because he knowingly endangered many other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas