Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
This is one characterization that I have found to be true. It's not a problem, per se, but as a non religious person I have definitely noticed it versus other places I have lived.
As a member of a minority religion, I haven't seen it to be a problem. I very rarely hear "have a blessed day", to be honest. And I can't remember the last time someone asked me which church I attend, or who even asked what my religious background is. It doesn't really happen, at least not to me. Maybe it's the company I keep or the neighborhood I live in.

Then again, the overwhelming majority of my coworkers are Hindus. I very rarely hear them talk about religion at all, whether it's their own or someone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:37 AM

216 posts, read 214,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
As a member of a minority religion, I haven't seen it to be a problem. I very rarely hear "have a blessed day", to be honest. And I can't remember the last time someone asked me which church I attend, or who even asked what my religious background is. It doesn't really happen, at least not to me. Maybe it's the company I keep or the neighborhood I live in.

Then again, the overwhelming majority of my coworkers are Hindus. I very rarely hear them talk about religion at all, whether it's their own or someone else's.
A stranger approached me in a parking lot in Carrollton, commenting on my bumper sticker for Baylor University. After telling me that her son is currently attending Baylor, she then tells me of the struggles he's going through and asks that I pray for him. She also asks what church I attend. I'm not Christian. It was awkward.

Last edited by JJ09990; 03-22-2016 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-22-2016, 09:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
A stranger approached me in a parking lot in Carrollton, commenting on my bumper sticker for Baylor University. After telling me that her son is currently attending Baylor, she then tells me of the struggles he's going through and asks that I pray for him. She also asks what church I attend. I'm not Christian. It was awkward.
To be fair to her, Baylor University is a very conservative Baptist university. It's not unreasonable to assume that someone who goes there is a Christian. I've met many Baylor alums and each and every one was a Christian.

I don't get offended when people assume I'm Christian. I live in a country where the vast majority of US-born adults are Christian...and I don't look like I belong to a non-European ethnic group. Life's too short to get offended by stuff like that, especially when no offense is meant.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09990 View Post
Dude. Baylor?
Not an unfair assumption on this person's part.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:26 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
It's still awkward to ask total strangers to pray for something, and definitely a very Southern thing to just assume that people are religious, or to ask about churches.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxma View Post
For six years we lived in Alpharetta, GA, which seems to be similar to Southlake so I'm fully prepared for both the tangible pros and cultural cons of that kind of community. I didn't meant to offend anyone; was merely asking whether there were any pockets of "Hey this 1985 Volvo station wagon still runs well; why would I get a new one?" mentality rather than the "all flash/no cash" that we occasionally saw in the ATL burbs. I just wanted to confirm that if we chose Southlake for the public schools (and to avoid the obvious uncertainty of trying to get into a school like Hockaday while living closer to the city instead) there would be a nice mix of friendly, family-orientated people among whom to live.

Words like "Stepford Wife," "noveau riche," and "provincial" are unequivocally offensive, regardless of your intent. (And it speaks volumes about how you feel about moving to the area).

It also implies that you believe materialism and hollow values are unique to DFW. I assure you they are not. (Try living in Los Angeles ...)

You also are (sort of) implying that you believe you and your family will be the only new transplants, alone in a sea of fifth-generation Texans. Trust me, this will not be the case. Thousands of people from all over are moving here.

If you truly want advice, here is some: Try to compromise just a little. You cannot march into a new community and militantly declare that you and your values are different (aka, better) than your neighbors - and then expect to be welcomed.

For your kids sake (and yours, too, really), you will need to assimilate a little. If you can afford Southlake, thank your lucky stars, buy a house there, and then make it work. Save your judgements until after you meet your neighbors.

Chances are, that "Stepford Wife" next door has an MBA from Duke ...

Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM

32 posts, read 52,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
It's still awkward to ask total strangers to pray for something, and definitely a very Southern thing to just assume that people are religious, or to ask about churches.

Agree 100% with this. We have lived here for 22 years. It is quite offensive!

Old 03-22-2016, 12:08 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaVol View Post
I would not compare Alpharetta to Southlake. We contemplated a move to Alpharetta for my husband's job that did not happen and he regularly traveled for work to Alpharetta... So I am familar. Southlake is much, much more flash with not many lower priced homes. $800k would be almost entry level at SL whereas I recall seeing more $400k homes in Alpharetta in the late 2000s that would be what I consider nice homes. I don't think you can get anything in Southlake including townhouses for $400k.

However, for a job in Irving, I would also look at Coppell. Great schools, lots of family oriented things to do and close to everything including your husband's job. Your budget will go further in Coppell for sure. Be sure to check out the older custom homes in Coppell and not just the new builds. I think it fits into your 1985 Volvo mentality pocket.
This^

We live in HP and I think SL will out flash us when it comes to cars.

And yes, my 6 year old Raptor truck still runs great, why replace it? Well, their releasing a 2nd Generation next year that makes it tempting

Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
You know for that matter there are a lot of houses around Hockaday area that probably run $800k.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:36 AM

10 posts, read 10,192 times
Thanks everyone for your assorted cultural insights! We were down there last week and checked out the general Southlake area, and based on his my husband commute (to Irving) and the schools (we visited one while down there) it seems that Southlake is where we are going to land. We were a bit surprised that our $800k budget doesn't go quite as far as we had hoped (Western Massachusetts is definitely a bit cheaper) and the style of the homes definitely is a bit different on the inside even from the ATL suburbs (obviously that can be changed), but the town itself does seem like a good place to be a kid. Thus, if anyone has any first hand insight as to the following it would be appreciated:

1- Do the elementary schools (K-4) have differing reputations or is it negligible?
2- Does anyone have recommendations for non denominational preschools in town? (We don't need full day.)
3- Does anyone have a recommendation for a local gym? Is driving to the LifeTime Fitness in Colleyville a hike, traffic wise?
4- Does anyone have insight as to which local builders are reputable vs not? We are not planning to build, but if we were looking for a newer house that has a more modern floor plan and bought something relatively new it would be nice to know the rep of the builder. Obviously a lot of this information we can get from our realtor, but it's nice to have a larger sampling of opinions. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas