Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
And TC80 - assimilation issues are not specific to the Indian community in this country. And assimilation works both ways....
I disagree. We were born here. They came here voluntarily. It's a one-way street. We may DESIRE to learn about their cultures and traditions, but it is the responsibility of the voluntary immigrant to assimilate to their new country. Not the other way around.

(Said the person who has lived in several different countries.)

Old 07-05-2016, 11:22 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I am not Black but I lived in Las Colinas for 15 years and never noticed racial bias.

However, I do think it may be helpful to start a new thread. "What is the Black/African American Experience in the Dallas area". And also mention your husband's recent experience and ask if this is specific to Las Colinas.

I am also curious why he liked LC? Is he going to be working in Irving?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM

371 posts, read 553,911 times
I have lived in my fair share of countries too. The US was built on immigration and culture is not some sort of stagnant object but instead an evolving thing. As long as the US continues to grow through immigration, then I think the onus is on everyone to adapt. I am not giving a free pass to Indians (or other cultures) that don't assimilate. But having been in this country over 2 decades now (starting off as an immigrant), there have been 'native' people (born here) who have no interest in my culture or me assimilating despite my best efforts (though the vast majority have been amazing). So, that's ok in your books then?

And being born here automatically imbues one with the 'American' culture (if there is such a thing)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I disagree. We were born here. They came here voluntarily. It's a one-way street. We may DESIRE to learn about their cultures and traditions, but it is the responsibility of the voluntary immigrant to assimilate to their new country. Not the other way around.

(Said the person who has lived in several different countries.)

Old 07-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I have lived in my fair share of countries too. The US was built on immigration and culture is not some sort of stagnant object but instead an evolving thing. As long as the US continues to grow through immigration, then I think the onus is on everyone to adapt. I am not giving a free pass to Indians (or other cultures) that don't assimilate. But having been in this country over 2 decades now (starting off as an immigrant), there have been 'native' people (born here) who have no interest in my culture or me assimilating despite my best efforts (though the vast majority have been amazing). So, that's ok in your books then?

And being born here automatically imbues one with the 'American' culture (if there is such a thing)?
This is getting off-topic so I welcome you to open a thread about this in the legal immigration forum.

I stand by what I said.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you ever tried to have a conversation with the average Indian Dot person? Try it!

Some front desk clerk overbooked, some Indian does not know how to give directions and the good ol' race card comes out.
BS. Front desk clerk did NOT overbook. If you actually read the whole OP, she said her husband left the hotel and called from his car where they told him they had rooms available, like two seconds after they told him to his face they were booked.

To dismiss racist incidents as a "language barrier" or "all in your head" is ignorant.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
BS. Front desk clerk did NOT overbook. If you actually read the whole OP, she said her husband left the hotel and called from his car where they told him they had rooms available, like two seconds after they told him to his face they were booked.

To dismiss racist incidents as a "language barrier" or "all in your head" is ignorant.
I'd rep you again if I could.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM

371 posts, read 553,911 times
That's fine and I stand by what I said. We can agree to disagree - but the 'we were here first therefore...' meme just smacks of something - can't put my finger on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This is getting off-topic so I welcome you to open a thread about this in the legal immigration forum.

I stand by what I said.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
I'm sorry your husband was treated so poorly.

We lived in Las Colinas when we first moved to Dallas, because it was so close to my husband's job, and it is a lovely area. It was a great starting-out point for us.

But Las Colinas and Valley Ranch have a large population of Indian people. We met a few nice ones in the apartment complex we lived in. But out in public, it's a different story. They are very much within their own group.
The men generally dismissed me as a woman, and only addressed my husband.
And within the Indian culture, the darker your skin, the lower you are in the caste system, so I can only imagine how they might treat an African American person.

Please know that there are many, many African American people here. Here in the Frisco area, we all just seem to kind of blend together.

I want to say something about friendliness, and I hope it doesn't come off wrong.
I've lived in other states (back east) with large populations of African American people. I am white, and I often received an attitude when dealing with them.
Here, it's usually not like that. We can all be friendly with each other, which is really nice.
We chat in the grocery store, chat with neighbors, make friends with coworkers, etc.
I really appreciate the difference in attitude here.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:23 PM

772 posts, read 935,653 times
Quote:

This... is just wrong. You move to a country that is not your home country, you should be assimilating, learning the language and customs. You don't move and expect your neighbors to change to accommodate YOU.

This is precisely why a lot of immigrants today (both legal and illegal) get such a bad rap. They don't want to assimilate, they expect others to change to their way of life. That's not how it works. It is definitely not on natural born citizens to "adapt."

I have a friend who is Brazilian, speaks Portuguese. He's an engineer for a multinational company and has been moved to several different offices around the world. He learned English when he was living in the States. Then he was transferred to Germany, so he then had to learn German.

Good luck trying to get a German engineer to adapt to a foreigner and learn Portuguese. The onus was on my friend to adapt to being in Germany, and he recognizes that wherever he gets called.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
This... is just wrong. You move to a country that is not your home country, you should be assimilating, learning the language and customs. You don't move and expect your neighbors to change to accommodate YOU.

This is precisely why a lot of immigrants today (both legal and illegal) get such a bad rap. They don't want to assimilate, they expect others to change to their way of life. That's not how it works. It is definitely not on natural born citizens to "adapt."

I have a friend who is Brazilian, speaks Portuguese. He's an engineer for a multinational company and has been moved to several different offices around the world. He learned English when he was living in the States. Then he was transferred to Germany, so he then had to learn German.

Good luck trying to get a German engineer to adapt to a foreigner and learn Portuguese. The onus was on my friend to adapt to being in Germany, and he recognizes that wherever he gets called.

A-freaking-men!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas