Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 PM

56 posts, read 61,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMom698 View Post
Does anyone have a sense of whether there are grades at which it's easier to get into private schools? I don't mean like it's basically impossible at grades where they only take people for attrition. I more wonder whether acceptance rates are consistent at pre-k (or 1st, for SM), as well as at 5th and 9th, or whether there is variation. I don't really have a sense of whether the admission rates (and the quality of the applicant pool) vary dramatically. E.g., presumably in the first year of the school, connections are a bigger factor than at other years, because parents who are determined to send their child to their school, or to a sibling's school, apply then. I would assume that 9th grade may have a different pool in that people for whom 12 years of private education doesn't make financial sense, but whose kids are extremely academically talented, may be more likely to apply at that point. And I don't know whether the pool is much larger in the first entry year because everyone interested in private education is applying, while, for example, a lot of kids are already in a private school they're happy with in 4th grade and aren't applying for 5th grade, though they were part of the pool in pre-K. Anyway, it doesn't really affect anything, but in trying to understand the chances of admission, I'm not sure whether to apply the overall admission percentage to our year or to assume that it may be dramatically different from year to year.
IMO based on experience I wouldn't say it is easier to get into private schools at a certain point. I would say it is better to start a child as soon as possible and no later than kindergarten.

We started our kids in Pre-K and both performed well on the CATS, but our focus was getting a jump start on the connections as to your point "are a bigger factor than at other years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 03:37 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
Quote:
Does anyone have a sense of whether there are grades at which it's easier to get into private schools? I don't mean like it's basically impossible at grades where they only take people for attrition. I more wonder whether acceptance rates are consistent at pre-k (or 1st, for SM), as well as at 5th and 9th, or whether there is variation. I don't really have a sense of whether the admission rates (and the quality of the applicant pool) vary dramatically. E.g., presumably in the first year of the school, connections are a bigger factor than at other years, because parents who are determined to send their child to their school, or to a sibling's school, apply then. I would assume that 9th grade may have a different pool in that people for whom 12 years of private education doesn't make financial sense, but whose kids are extremely academically talented, may be more likely to apply at that point. And I don't know whether the pool is much larger in the first entry year because everyone interested in private education is applying, while, for example, a lot of kids are already in a private school they're happy with in 4th grade and aren't applying for 5th grade, though they were part of the pool in pre-K. Anyway, it doesn't really affect anything, but in trying to understand the chances of admission, I'm not sure whether to apply the overall admission percentage to our year or to assume that it may be dramatically different from year to year.

I'd say it definitely depends upon the school. Where are you looking? Most should be pretty open about admission probability per grade. Overall - its best the first year the school has admission openings, but then there are other years depending upon school/age that the grade expands. On expansion years, its generally not kids that have siblings there.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:54 AM

24 posts, read 55,601 times
I know which years they have openings; I'm more interested in how the applicant pool varies, if we know. So the website will say, for example, that Hockaday has 36 openings in pre-K and 20-25 in 5th. Does it have the same number of applicants in pre-K as 5th? Twice as many in pre-K? 4 times as many? I'm just curious because I don't have any sense of what the applicant pool looks like and whether the number of applicants varies in a constant ratio to the number of openings, or whether it varies by year.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 AM

128 posts, read 231,635 times
Quote:
I know which years they have openings; I'm more interested in how the applicant pool varies, if we know. So the website will say, for example, that Hockaday has 36 openings in pre-K and 20-25 in 5th. Does it have the same number of applicants in pre-K as 5th? Twice as many in pre-K? 4 times as many? I'm just curious because I don't have any sense of what the applicant pool looks like and whether the number of applicants varies in a constant ratio to the number of openings, or whether it varies by year.
It is such a complicated problem with many factors playing in. They have a lot of openings and a lot of applicants in Pre-K and 5th grade. My sense is that if you are a well connected family, your probability of getting in is high at the PreK level since test results etc. do not discriminate kids by ability at the early years. Some years there are more openings at the Kindergarten level and first grade level, some years less. Second, third, fourth grade openings are by attrition and there are not as many applicants. If you are not well connected and your kid has high test scores or is impressive another way (e.g. elite athlete), I think your chances of getting in are higher in 5th, 7th, or 9th grade. By that time there are not many remaining well-connected families (with kids with high enough potential to enter) in the applicant pool and it is easier to sort kids by ability.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:00 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoy View Post
It is such a complicated problem with many factors playing in. They have a lot of openings and a lot of applicants in Pre-K and 5th grade. My sense is that if you are a well connected family, your probability of getting in is high at the PreK level since test results etc. do not discriminate kids by ability at the early years. Some years there are more openings at the Kindergarten level and first grade level, some years less. Second, third, fourth grade openings are by attrition and there are not as many applicants. If you are not well connected and your kid has high test scores or is impressive another way (e.g. elite athlete), I think your chances of getting in are higher in 5th, 7th, or 9th grade. By that time there are not many remaining well-connected families (with kids with high enough potential to enter) in the applicant pool and it is easier to sort kids by ability.

Really good feedback. Entry in later years will emphasize grades/talents/scores at a higher level since there will have been more time for a child to accumulate/demonstrate them. There are also Dallas elite private schools like Lamplighter that end in 4th grade. Those are historically feeder schools into the privates that open up spots in 5th grade.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
As someone who is trying to get kids in at non-expansion years, I will tell you what admissions told my wife who teaches where we are applying. Most years and levels are similarly competitive. More spaces tends to mean more applicants. For one of our daughters they said there probably won’t be more than 5 applicants her age, but they may end up having zero spaces. I would also think about it as a continuum. As kids get older, it becomes more about them and their accomplishments and abilities, rather than fit or family or connection. Whether additional time is an asset or a liability for your particular child is situation specific.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:32 PM

793 posts, read 1,222,745 times
Quote:
I think it really varies but have one data point...last year (or was it the year before?) a friend from SMS told me that St. Mark's had 3 openings in second grade (normally add 2 students in 2nd but one moved away) and it is my understanding that they received more than 50 applicants for those 3 spots.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:01 PM

24 posts, read 55,601 times
Very helpful feedback/information - thanks!

Old 01-27-2020, 05:44 PM

25 posts, read 63,568 times
Deadline is here. Good luck everyone! I’ll try and not speculate until decisions get communicated.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:24 AM

554 posts, read 684,117 times
There is a general consensus, or some would say urban legend, that the kids who get admitted to the "elite" privates in later years tend to academically outperform the lifers. While I've never seen any actual data on this, if true, it would suggest a more competitive applicant pool as the grade level increases. As others have mentioned, with each subsequent grade advanced, there are more data points to consider in the admission process. So IF the applicant pool becomes increasingly more competitive as time goes on and there are more pieces of information to consider with each passing year, it stands to reason that applying young would maximize admission chances for most people - outside of the truly genius kids with flawless, lengthy resumes (and sometimes even they get turned down.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas