Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:54 AM

3,166 posts, read 2,057,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/u...KEEP-RIGHT.pdf

In 29 states, any car traveling slower than surrounding traffic must be in the right lane. In 11 states, the laws are even stricter—reserving the left lane only for turning or passing. In a growing number of states—especially Texas, Washington, and Ohio—police are engaging in an aggressive program to ticket violators. In Germany, the autobahn has a lower accident rate than American highways, despite there being no speed limit. The reason for this is that German drivers stay to the right unless they are passing.

The Germans long ago proved the notion that lane jammers are safer drivers or make driving safer for others as so much nonsense.
Great post. At the end of the day both speeding and lane jamming are illegal and I wish police would ticket those that sit in the left lane much, much more. It would be great for the flow of traffic.

Driving long distances on the freeways in light traffic, the speeds can easily reach 90+ in the left lanes. Those who aren't willing to do those types of speeds should yield right. Speed limits don't really mean anything one way or another - in their absence (such as in Germany) or in the case that they are largely ignored (such as in Texas) traffic is going to naturally trend towards the highest speed that can be done in the current conditions. That's how it should be. Speed limits are generally just a way to pull people over and make money.

Police focus on the freeways should be on ensuring a smooth flow of traffic (ticketing slow left lane drivers) and ticketing/arresting truly reckless drivers (those who drive aggressively, dart in and out of traffic at high speeds, driving 20+ mph over the speed of the traffic, etc.) not worrying about strict adherence to a usually arbitrary speed limit.

Germany definitely gets this right. Another thing I'd support from there is the far more intensive licensing process - apparently all you need to get a DL in Texas is a pulse, and a lot of accidents are caused by unskilled and/or distracted drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 12:02 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Great post. At the end of the day both speeding and lane jamming are illegal and I wish police would ticket those that sit in the left lane much, much more. It would be great for the flow of traffic.

Driving long distances on the freeways in light traffic, the speeds can easily reach 90+ in the left lanes. Those who aren't willing to do those types of speeds should yield right. Speed limits don't really mean anything one way or another - in their absence (such as in Germany) or in the case that they are largely ignored (such as in Texas) traffic is going to naturally trend towards the highest speed that can be done in the current conditions. That's how it should be. Speed limits are generally just a way to pull people over and make money.

Police focus on the freeways should be on ensuring a smooth flow of traffic (ticketing slow left lane drivers) and ticketing/arresting truly reckless drivers (those who drive aggressively, dart in and out of traffic at high speeds, driving 20+ mph over the speed of the traffic, etc.) not worrying about strict adherence to a usually arbitrary speed limit.

Germany definitely gets this right. Another thing I'd support from there is the far more intensive licensing process - apparently all you need to get a DL in Texas is a pulse, and a lot of accidents are caused by unskilled and/or distracted drivers.
Yep makes a lot of sense.

Essentially what some other people on this thread are saying is that this is correct way to drive but they choose not to follow it because of some randomly set speed limit. They even acknowledge how the Germans deal with traffic flow is ideal but because US roads have more speed limits, they won't apply the same common sense traffic flow courtesy on American freeways.

What do we do when we reach these selfish drivers on the road? We move around them so we don't get trapped in a moving congested roadblock.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:29 PM

869 posts, read 320,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

Essentially what some other people on this thread are saying is that this is correct way to drive but they choose not to follow it because of some randomly set speed limit. They even acknowledge how the Germans deal with traffic flow is ideal but because US roads have more speed limits, they won't apply the same common sense traffic flow courtesy on American freeways.

What do we do when we reach these selfish drivers on the road? We move around them so we don't get trapped in a moving congested roadblock.

Because (yet again)...

ARE YOU GOING TO PAY MY TICKET FOR ME, SINCE SPEEDING IS THE "CORRECT" WAY TO DRIVE?

Old 01-25-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Why on earth are y'all still stuck on this left lane jamming argument?? Not one person on this thread said that jamming the left lane is great. In fact, we've ALL agreed (several times over) that that is the exact WRONG thing to do. We are talking about ALL THE OTHER lanes that speedsters want to take over AS WELL.

Jeez

Old 01-25-2022, 12:51 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:

We're not talking about the left hand, designated passing lane. We're talking about the other lanes.

Old 01-26-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post

I'm technically through with this subject, but a situation happened this morning that shines a light on what I've been saying this entire time on this subject.

On my way to work this morning, traffic got stopped by a train. The situation didn't really affect the drivers in my lane, since it was a left-turning lane that merges onto the highway BEFORE you get to the train tracks. The issue is that you have to pass through a red light before you can make the turn.

Now...it's generally an unspoken rule that those in my lane can just go through the light and make the turn, since the train has all other traffic stopped...so there's no need for us to wait for the light to turn green, especially since the light WON'T turn green until the train has passed.

Well now...it seems that everyone understood this rule EXCEPT the guy in front of me. Everyone in front of HIM went on through the red light as usual...but NOOOOO....he had to be the one do-gooder and actually STOP until the train passed. And it was a slow train too

Now...annoying as that was...I had to respect his decision, simply because despite how freaking annoyed I was, I ALSO knew that I would NOT have payed his red light ticket if he had been pulled over for going through the light simply because everyone else was doing it. I could have honked, flipped him the bird, cussed, etc...but would I have handled that ticket for him? Not a chance.

And that's the only point I made in here...get annoyed all you want at the driver in front of you only going the speed limit (assuming he's NOT in the passing lane)...but always remember...if you're not willing to pay his citation in the event that he is stopped, you have absolutely NO RIGHT to ask or expect him to do so. The audacity of a lot of y'all in this thread is mind-boggling. The self-righteousness is beyond me

Old 01-26-2022, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 2,173 times
Default Road rage

What happened to the good old days of honking and/or flipping someone off and going on about your way? I miss the 80s-90s much. Things were not as mean back then.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:31 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm old enough to vividly remember one side of the political aisle shrieking that CHL/LTC-holders in TX would cause blood on the streets, huge upticks in crime and general mayhem. Same thing with the new campus carry rules. Same with the new no-CHL rules.

To your point I don't know what to do about BGs carrying either. Defunding the police certainly won't help. Taking my firearms won't help. Demonizing the AR-15 won't help.

What we can't get away from is the long known fact that roughly 92-95% of serious violent crimes are committed by about 2% of young males. And this 2% is nearly always engaged in ongoing criminal activity often for life.

Also,

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/ha...nviction-rates
It break it down even more than that. 85% of the males in prison grew up without a father.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:36 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It break it down even more than that. 85% of the males in prison grew up without a father.
I didn't know it was that stark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas