Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 10:23 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
You got any legal precedents in Texas whereby a defendant beat a speeding ticket by citing prima facie? Honestly asking.
"Prima facie" is what the state relies on, not the driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2022, 09:18 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
So, the whiners have showed up. I do agree that per the law, the leftmost lane on a limited-access highway is for passing only, so I only go there when I am actively passing, then I move back to the right when it's safe. However, I generally limit my speed to 5 mph over the posted limit period and have NO qualms about that, including when I'm passing (meaning whoever I'm passing is going slower than me). Just because some fool wants to do 15 mph over the limit in the leftmost lane and zooms up behind me before I'm done passing, they are just going to have to wait until I'm done. And I feel zero guilt about that.

The folks that are especially out of line are the ones who get angry that I'm doing limit+5 in the other lanes. They can just sit down with that. They are the ones with the problem, not me.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:14 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,179,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
So, the whiners have showed up. I do agree that per the law, the leftmost lane on a limited-access highway is for passing only, so I only go there when I am actively passing, then I move back to the right when it's safe. However, I generally limit my speed to 5 mph over the posted limit period and have NO qualms about that, including when I'm passing (meaning whoever I'm passing is going slower than me). Just because some fool wants to do 15 mph over the limit in the leftmost lane and zooms up behind me before I'm done passing, they are just going to have to wait until I'm done. And I feel zero guilt about that.

The folks that are especially out of line are the ones who get angry that I'm doing limit+5 in the other lanes. They can just sit down with that. They are the ones with the problem, not me.
This is true. A lot of people misunderstand passing lanes. They aren't fast lanes. So long as you are going fast enough to pass the person to your right, and you get over once you pass them and are done passing, you are going fast enough. There is no guarantee that a person in the left lane won't need to slow down for a slower person in front of them.

In fact, one could even be going below the speed limit in the left lane, so long as they are passing. The issues arise when people camp in the left lane and aren't passing or don't get over once they are done passing.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:28 PM

19,801 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:

If you are rarely in the fast lane and actually going 5 over that's not offensive. Enjoying trapping someone behind you is.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
If you are rarely in the fast lane and actually going 5 over that's not offensive. Enjoying trapping someone behind you is.
I don't "enjoy" it. I could care less about how they feel - all I care about is my safe passing, when it's appropriate, meaning when I'm going faster than the vehicle to my right. I'm not going to deliberately cut in front of someone in the leftmost lane that's going faster than me, that's unsafe. But if I take a safe opportunity to move into the lane and someone who was way back zooms up behind me, then too bad for them.

OTOH, when I'm in the right hand lanes and some zoomer lane weaver trying to zig zag through every miniscule opening happens to get trapped by me (usually in unintended concert with others), I do feel a smidge of satisfaction.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:36 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
You call "only" going the speed limit inconsiderate and selfish? Speed limits aren't just suggestions regardless of lane, and police should be much, much more aggressive in enforcing them. If other people don't like it, they need to take it up with the city or state authority who sets the limit and all the people who are speeding, not the driver. You had better stay away from me because I am never going to exceed the speed limit.

I can't speak to the roller coasters (highways) as I've never been on those death traps, but the streets are all bad enough. I think Richardson may be the only place where police enforce the traffic rules, although that was some time ago. I don't know if things have changed.
Hardly anyone in DFW does 60 mph on the highways. If you do, you are probably going to be involved in a road rage incident.

Most people are doing 70+ in the slow lane and 80/90+ in the fast lane.

Speed limits in Texas are "suggestions" which most don't follow since there is no enforcement.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I don't "enjoy" it. I could care less about how they feel - all I care about is my safe passing, when it's appropriate, meaning when I'm going faster than the vehicle to my right. I'm not going to deliberately cut in front of someone in the leftmost lane that's going faster than me, that's unsafe. But if I take a safe opportunity to move into the lane and someone who was way back zooms up behind me, then too bad for them.

OTOH, when I'm in the right hand lanes and some zoomer lane weaver trying to zig zag through every miniscule opening happens to get trapped by me (usually in unintended concert with others), I do feel a smidge of satisfaction.
That was my implied point. If you do the visual trig and pulling into the fast lane at 5 over won't force someone close to slow down that's cool.

Old 01-18-2022, 05:48 PM

869 posts, read 319,917 times
I've always wondered if people who like to drive closely upon other people's butts in an effort to get them to speed up would literally stop to pay off the tickets of those they are forcing to drive faster, if a cop happens to stop them.

Something tells me that the answer would be a resounding HELL NO. You'd likely just glance back and say, "oh well".

I'm one of those "keep up with the traffic" drivers, and I've always had somewhat of a heavy foot (kinda HAVE to, as I live in Houston)...but I've always respected "speed limit" drivers, as they are following the law. After all, I'm certainly not going to stop and pay their ticket if my driving up closely behind them forces them to drive faster and they end up getting pulled over.

Makes sense to me.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
I've always wondered if people who like to drive closely upon other people's butts in an effort to get them to speed up would literally stop to pay off the tickets of those they are forcing to drive faster, if a cop happens to stop them.

Something tells me that the answer would be a resounding HELL NO. You'd likely just glance back and say, "oh well".

I'm one of those "keep up with the traffic" drivers, and I've always had somewhat of a heavy foot (kinda HAVE to, as I live in Houston)...but I've always respected "speed limit" drivers, as they are following the law. After all, I'm certainly not going to stop and pay their ticket if my driving up closely behind them forces them to drive faster and they end up getting pulled over.

Makes sense to me.
The only time that's a problem for me is when a speed limit obsessed driver could easily move right but won't and make no mistake that happens constantly. BTW I'm a speeder but I never tailgate. The Germans handle all of this better than we do.

1. Don't tailgate ever.
2. Don't lane jam ever. If you are driving slower than the person behind you it's your job to move.
3. Speeding is way down the list.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The only time that's a problem for me is when a speed limit obsessed driver could easily move right but won't and make no mistake that happens constantly. BTW I'm a speeder but I never tailgate. The Germans handle all of this better than we do.

1. Don't tailgate ever.
2. Don't lane jam ever. If you are driving slower than the person behind you it's your job to move.
3. Speeding is way down the list.
I disagree on #2. The law only addresses the leftmost lane. If I'm in lane 3 on a 4-lane freeway and doing limit+5, and someone behind me wants to do 5-10 mph faster, I owe them nothing, other than safe lane changing when I do decide to move and proper signaling. The onus is on the faster person to move left and go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas