Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 12:06 PM

278 posts, read 217,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
In N Out - Parker/Central the ad is in the window for $17
https://www.indeed.com/q-Cashier-l-M...64d163548d917c

So we're basically overtaking Manhattan per hour prices for these jobs. I wonder how this well affect things.

I'm pretty sure Whole Foods in Manhattan is paying $15 still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 12:09 PM

43 posts, read 34,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
As a software developer myself, I'm not seeing anywhere near that. That does not appear to be the norm. There are considerable variations. It depends a lot on the responsibilities and technologies and the company, but what I'm seeing entry level is closer to 60k, and mid level starts around 90k for a smaller company. However, it's not really worth arguing over. The question is whether housing price increases are going to hurt sales, and they very clearly are not.

It is going to take these locations becoming less desirable and, for new construction, people not putting up with the sales tactics.

I stand by my assertion that whether one has the money or not, this is not the time, place, or way to be buying a house. Normal people already in the metro would stay in their rental rather than go through the processes now and be treated like garbage to live somewhere that really is going to be even more expensive in a location that probably isn't any better. I actually see some builders starting at $700K next to the Melissa dump, and it's an inventory-only wait list.
Wow that's interesting. I'm making just a little under $200K/year (all cash/base - not bonus) as a security architect with 3 years of industry experience and in a remote position. I don't have any big level responsibilities and only log 40 hours of work a week. My understanding is that my salary can still triple from here too

It's crazy that there are 700K new builds in Trinity Groves. Seems like the average home in Dallas will be over a MM before we know it. It's annoying that I'm having difficultly breaking into the housing market in DFW (Dallas proper or northern suburbs) with my income. Not considering my gf's at the moment, but she's in the 6 figure range too

Old 02-02-2022, 12:15 PM

304 posts, read 185,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post
https://www.indeed.com/q-Cashier-l-M...64d163548d917c

So we're basically overtaking Manhattan per hour prices for these jobs. I wonder how this well affect things.

I'm pretty sure Whole Foods in Manhattan is paying $15 still.
You asked for an example. Example provided.

I hire front end cashiers at 17.34/hr with pooled tips. Wait staff/bar at 19. I don’t have a choice, just have to adjust prices.

The craziest thing? My Workers Comp insurance is tied to payroll dollars. So every time I give a raise, I also increase back end expenses. My general liability insurance - also tied to payroll.

For those of you that have never run a business, please educate yourself on fractional impact.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieOnTheMove View Post
Wow that's interesting. I'm making just a little under $200K/year (all cash/base - not bonus) as a security architect with 3 years of industry experience and in a remote position. I don't have any big level responsibilities and only log 40 hours of work a week. My understanding is that my salary can still triple from here too

It's crazy that there are 700K new builds in Trinity Groves. Seems like the average home in Dallas will be over a MM before we know it. It's annoying that I'm having difficultly breaking into the housing market in DFW (Dallas proper or northern suburbs) with my income. Not considering my gf's at the moment, but she's in the 6 figure range too
I think that 250K+ household income is becoming the norm for new house owners and perhaps for existing too in northern DFW that is.

Old 02-02-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
You asked for an example. Example provided.

I hire front end cashiers at 17.34/hr with pooled tips. Wait staff/bar at 19. I don’t have a choice, just have to adjust prices.

The craziest thing? My Workers Comp insurance is tied to payroll dollars. So every time I give a raise, I also increase back end expenses. My general liability insurance - also tied to payroll.

For those of you that have never run a business, please educate yourself on fractional impact.
I'm just curious whether those are going to start making their way into prices of things we pay for in places like Frisco. Or perhaps there is large enough margin to just take less profit. I predicted in previous posts that perhaps Taco Bell in Frisco will cost more than Taco Bell in NYC for example. Which once again going back to previous example - if median household is still around 130K in Frisco/Celian etc is another bite into finances.

I think Frisco ISD is still paying 57K for new teachers. Would be tough even as married couple earning same amount.

Same as Mcdonalds in Italy is a lot cheaper than just across the border in Switzerland but not on that huge difference scale though

Old 02-02-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I'm just curious whether those are going to start making their way into prices of things we pay for in places like Frisco. Or perhaps there is large enough margin to just take less profit. I predicted in previous posts that perhaps Taco Bell in Frisco will cost more than Taco Bell in NYC for example. Which once again going back to previous example - if median household is still around 130K in Frisco/Celian etc is another bite into finances.

I think Frisco ISD is still paying 57K for new teachers. Would be tough even as married couple earning same amount.

Same as Mcdonalds in Italy is a lot cheaper than just across the border in Switzerland but not on that huge difference scale though
So, Frisco has mainly chain/franchise restaurants. Not much on the independent side. Those companies make their money on franchise fees and leave the franchisee to starve. When the PPP loans dry up, you’ll start seeing the hit on pricing.

Right now, they can survive on PT and HS student labor, along with the deadbeat kid that still lives with mom and dad and never really went to UNT.

Last edited by Lz_2022; 02-02-2022 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-02-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So, Frisco has mainly chain/franchise restaurants. Not much on the independent side. Those companies make their money on franchise fees and leave the franchisee to starve. When the PPP loans dry up, you’ll start seeing the hit on pricing.

Right now, they can survive on PT and HS student labor, almond with the deadbeat kid that still lives with mom and dad and never really went to UNT.
Well that is my idea on whole situation is that fundamentals are looking not great but it will take years to finally hit, from chain prices to household ownership and school ratings.

Regarding PT and HS labor, well if that was the case I'm sure IN and out burger would not be paying $17 to cashiers - literally higher than NYC already just to get someone through the door. So the new reality is already here, the PT and HS labor was not enough.

Everyone is busy cheering their macmansion going up 50% in past couple years. Completely ignoring the fact that soon their taco bell trip will cost more than in NYC and the quality of teachers in local ISD which pays 57K a year will dramatically drop. Ruining their zoned macmansion school which was the reason they bought it in the first place. Frisco is already struggling to find substitute teachers or TA's as they are offering less per hour than In and Out Burger. Don't be surprised if your kid is going to get taught by bus driver soon.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Well that is my idea on whole situation is that fundamentals are looking not great but it will take years to finally hit, from chain prices to household ownership and school ratings.

Regarding PT and HS labor, well if that was the case I'm sure IN and out burger would not be paying $17 to cashiers - literally higher than NYC already just to get someone through the door. So the new reality is already here, the PT and HS labor was not enough.

Everyone is busy cheering their macmansion going up 50% in past couple years. Completely ignoring the fact that soon their taco bell trip will cost more than in NYC and the quality of teachers in local ISD which pays 57K a year will dramatically drop. Ruining their zoned macmansion school which was the reason they bought it in the first place. Frisco is already struggling to find substitute teachers or TA's as they are offering less per hour than In and Out Burger. Don't be surprised if your kid is going to get taught by bus driver soon.
Well. I don’t live in Frisco so I’m just sipping tea now. And my last kid will clear HS soon. I agree it’s going to turn into a sustainability ****show when that market comes due.

As for the restaurant side, payroll is payroll. I have X number of hours at Y rate. Doesn’t matter if it takes 20 or 30 to fill that.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Well. I don’t live in Frisco so I’m just sipping tea now. And my last kid will clear HS soon. I agree it’s going to turn into a sustainability ****show when that market comes due.

As for the restaurant side, payroll is payroll. I have X number of hours at Y rate. Doesn’t matter if it takes 20 or 30 to fill that.
The issue is that the Y rate has just went above NYC (Manhattan) I was honestly surprised to see proof that in and out burger is legitimately paying $15 - $18.5 in Frisco/Plano for entry jobs such as cashiers. What is more scary is that there are tonnes of vacancies and they are not being filled. So not only did the HS'ers failed to fill at $10, there is still not enough supply even at 15-18.5. So 20+ is incoming.

Its 15 - $18.5 with 401K and even medical insurance. I mean that's insane.

https://www.in-n-out.com/locations/?q=frisco%20TX

Someone said $17 in previous post and I almost did not believe him until I went direct.

Old 02-02-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The issue is that the Y rate has just went above NYC (Manhattan) I was honestly surprised to see proof that in and out burger is legitimately paying $15 - $18.5 in Frisco/Plano for entry jobs such as cashiers. What is more scary is that there are tonnes of vacancies and they are not being filled. So not only did the HS'ers failed to fill at $10, there is still not enough supply even at 15-18.5. So 20+ is incoming.

Its 15 - $18.5 with 401K and even medical insurance. I mean that's insane.

https://www.in-n-out.com/locations/?q=frisco%20TX

Someone said $17 in previous post and I almost did not believe him until I went direct.
That someone was me. I’m in the restaurant business, so I know what it takes.

Now, very few qualify for 401K/Medical, and my plan isn’t great (1750 deductible runs about $100/mo), so I usually try to get people to stay on parent’s policies, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas