Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 11:51 AM

578 posts, read 479,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
The super soft hearted, overly liberal, pie-in-the-sky folks don't want to hear that, though. Then when crime rises, businesses and amenties start to flee, the quality of their children's schools goes down, etc. they're usually some of the first ones to "white flight" it out of there, after all their big, super liberal talk and finger wagging.
DISD K-12 white enrollments are only 7685 - 5.4%. Should have bused some white liberal kids there to fill the racial quota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 12:02 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
I stopped reading your posts in detail after you tried to use mean wage to say the US isn't unequal. Perhaps gini wasn't invented back when you got your alleged PHD? From what I can tell you aren't even talking about what I was saying, which is that there is no excess supply of housing because rents are rising.
1. Per your first point I have no idea what you are talking about and assume you are making it up as is your habit. Mean wage...US isn't unequal? If my point was per Gini the US is penalized because our middle and upper middle classes are so large and so rich I was right. Even if you don't understand why.

2. Gini was "invented' in the early 1800s. I'm old but not that old. Gini is really a dumb index with so much slop it should be avoided for better measures, Palma maybe. Per Gini and by extension you Russia is more equal than The US and therefore better. That's abjectly asinine as Russia has a thin ribbon of politically powerful, rich and ultra rich and then masses of people with buying power equal to less than those at our poverty line. Russia has 160,000,000+ people and GDP roughly equal to Texas.

2.1. People like you yearn for places like The UK, France and Japan where those at median income have COL adjusted buying power just over our federal poverty line. So yea Gini without further context is a loser good for chants and signboards and little else.

3. I was responding your, "let them eat cake" bit and related implications.....it appears you forgot about that bit.

Further, clearly you stopped reading my post above because you were not able to fashion even one reasonable counter argument.

ETA - the blurb from a while back claiming that if The UK was a US state it would be poorer pro rata in PPP terms than any state except Mississippi is correct. But hey the Brits have a slightly better Gini Coefficient so let's all move there!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...an-mississippi

Anyway. The city is virtue signaling and little else with it new stances.

Last edited by EDS_; 05-04-2022 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-04-2022, 12:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Anyway. The city is virtue signaling and little else with it new stances.
This is the best summary. I have a vested interest as a homeowner and resident within the City of Dallas and I am not concerned that there will be major impacts from any of this. My main concern is a waste of time and money that doesn't really help to address the issue.

Old 05-04-2022, 02:15 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
DISD K-12 white enrollments are only 7685 - 5.4%. Should have bused some white liberal kids there to fill the racial quota.
I obviously was just speaking in general, regarding most of the people commenting in favor of this initiative. BUT...white flight...Asian flight...it's still FLIGHT, whichever way you slice it.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:39 PM

329 posts, read 284,403 times
The real question is why is Dallas City Council referring to this housing initiative as “racial equity”, when what they really mean is a program that’s specifically targeted at low income, low skill black households?

I have been accused of being “self-hating”, “extreme”, and “anti-black” for simply pointing out that just about every immigrant group — southeast Asians, East Asians, Latinos, even many Africans — come to this country and outperform and outearn American blacks.

These programs will do nothing because they ignore the underlying pathologies of black cultural victimhood and non-accountability.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:46 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Its funny you mention this.

I was talking with my cousin's wife who used to teach at Highland Park ISD before moving back to the Detroit area. She had previously lived down here in Houston. She said something that I never thought about. Im paraphrasing, but it was basically, "the schools in River Oaks are in HISD? That would never be tolerated in Highland Park".

I dont want to make it sound like Im crapping on my former city. I love the place. However, as I read this thread there is a great desire to not want to be near anyone who is poor or lower middle class in the Dallas area. That was my observations when I lived there too. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that DFW is know for its stellar suburbs and the mentality reflects that.

The best comparison to Dallas isnt Baltimore, its Chicago. People with money live in one part of town, middle class lives in one part, and the poor live in another. Just like Chicago, in Dallas people try hard to keep it that way. One big difference is that Dallas and the suburbs are much more ethnically integrated than Chicago which is still very segregated on that level too.

To be honest, while there are some valid concerns, there is also some dog whistling going on in this thread.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:57 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
I obviously was just speaking in general, regarding most of the people commenting in favor of this initiative. BUT...white flight...Asian flight...it's still FLIGHT, whichever way you slice it.
That's a good point. In Dallas people often talk about white flight relative to K-12 desegregation and bussing. What people miss or leave out is just about every family with school age kids of any color who could either left for the burbs or strongly considered doing so.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:58 PM

329 posts, read 284,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Its funny you mention this.

I was talking with my cousin's wife who used to teach at Highland Park ISD before moving back to the Detroit area. She had previously lived down here in Houston. She said something that I never thought about. Im paraphrasing, but it was basically, "the schools in River Oaks are in HISD? That would never be tolerated in Highland Park".

I dont want to make it sound like Im crapping on my former city. I love the place. However, as I read this thread there is a great desire to not want to be near anyone who is poor or lower middle class in the Dallas area. That was my observations when I lived there too. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that DFW is know for its stellar suburbs and the mentality reflects that.

The best comparison to Dallas isnt Baltimore, its Chicago. People with money live in one part of town, middle class lives in one part, and the poor live in another. Just like Chicago, in Dallas people try hard to keep it that way. One big difference is that Dallas and the suburbs are much more ethnically integrated than Chicago which is still very segregated on that level too.

To be honest, while there are some valid concerns, there is also some dog whistling going on in this thread.
Your observations are spot on about both DFW and Chicago, the latter of which is my hometown.

Perhaps the NIMBYism in the wealthier areas of DFW is more pronounced, but the reality is not many successful, high income households want to live in proximity to the poor, and the “ghetto elements” that the poor bring into an otherwise nice area.

Let’s be clear — a influx of lower-income households will drag down local schools, depress property values, increase crime, etc. What successful person of means would choose to live around that?

Old 05-04-2022, 05:00 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Man, we live in the United States of America...the most capitalist society on Earth!!! What you are describing is not unique or specific to DFW; that's the way COUNTLESS cities, suburbs, towns, and metros all across America operate.

Old 05-04-2022, 07:33 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,087,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
Hateful suburbanites say let them eat cake... the lack of empathy on this board is always shocking to me though it shouldn't be surprising anymore.

Rents are rising. There is no oversupply of housing.
McKinney is "unique by nature." Rents are low. Supply of apartments is drastically out of proportion to nearby places to work. I'm fine with the apartments if they are close to large commercial or corporate centers of which the city has none and never will. I'm also fine with more senior living options. However, that's not what we're seeing. The city leaders in McKinney are dumber than a box of rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas