Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 10:27 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
There's not a single solitary thing a city government can do to create affordable housing, other than 1) cutting red tape, and 2) shredding regulations, and 3) getting out of the way.

This latest batch of DIE word salad from the Dallas city bureaucracy does none of those things.
All irrelevant, as I'm not debating the merits of this plan....only whether cities, in principle, should have any interest in affordable housing existing in their city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
No one can guarantee you the ability to live near where you work. If you can't afford to live near where you work, you can 1) compromise the quality of your housing, 2) move farther away and commute, 3) pick up more hours/second job/whatever and make more money or 4) some combo of the above.
But obviously cities need people to fill entry-level jobs. All of those options will make it tougher to fill those positions. The question here is only whether cities should have any interest in affordable housing existing. If you think about it in extremes, as in the Crested Butte example I gave, it's clear that a total lack of affordable housing creates real problems. Restaurants are shutdown on some days, basic city services can't get done, etc. So obviously cities have at least some interest in ensuring the existence of at least some affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2022, 11:04 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
All irrelevant, as I'm not debating the merits of this plan....only whether cities, in principle, should have any interest in affordable housing existing in their city.
All housing is affordable to someone. In principle, cities have no interests. In anything.

Quote:
But obviously cities need people to fill entry-level jobs. All of those options will make it tougher to fill those positions. The question here is only whether cities should have any interest in affordable housing existing. If you think about it in extremes, as in the Crested Butte example I gave, it's clear that a total lack of affordable housing creates real problems. Restaurants are shutdown on some days, basic city services can't get done, etc. So obviously cities have at least some interest in ensuring the existence of at least some affordable housing.
Cities don't need to fill anything and they are not capable of doing anything.

The only way for affordable housing to be created is FOR THE CITY GOVERNMENT TO GET OUT OF THE WAY.

Last edited by albert648; 05-10-2022 at 11:20 PM..

Old 05-11-2022, 08:15 PM

319 posts, read 228,651 times
Quote:
We aren't debating whether this specific plan is a good one, though. We are only debating whether cities should, in principle, have any interest in affordable housing existing in their city.

I honestly don't think it's worth engaging with you anymore on this. You aren't following the logical import of the examples I'm giving. If you were, you would be addressing how a city can expect to have low-income workers doing entry-level positions if they can't afford to live in the city.
Thank you, I'd prefer you didn't engage with me because your one point: If low income workers can't live close to work it will be difficult to fill some positions. That still doesn't prove why its the City of Dallas's responsibility to fix that problem. Everyone else already understands that if you can't afford to live in Dallas then you move to Garland. And considering that you run a tutoring business hiring either 20 year olds or something, thats unclear at this point, and you purposely market your services in Plano/Frisco, even though students from low income families also need tutoring, lets me know that you understand this topic better than your posts will lead us believe. And while I do feel like I've wasted plenty of time in activity almost equivalent to talking to a brick wall, I know that I haven't, because through my ample explanations, I'm sure some other readers have more clairty.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:10 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
And considering that you run a tutoring business hiring either 20 year olds or something, thats unclear at this point
I would say this line demonstrates the interest you have in fruitful discussion. I just specifically told you that we don't hire 20 year olds, and you have no good reason to think we do.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:21 AM

300 posts, read 290,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Thank you, I'd prefer you didn't engage with me because your one point: If low income workers can't live close to work it will be difficult to fill some positions. That still doesn't prove why its the City of Dallas's responsibility to fix that problem.
He didn’t make that claim, nor did anybody else. I agree that it’s not the city’s responsibility to fix the problem — the question that everyone else has been trying to answer is why, in principle, a city wants affordable housing

Old 05-12-2022, 11:11 AM

578 posts, read 479,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
He didn’t make that claim, nor did anybody else. I agree that it’s not the city’s responsibility to fix the problem — the question that everyone else has been trying to answer is why, in principle, a city wants affordable housing
That's not what the city is saying.

Dallas city specifically says it wants to combat NIMBY and have affordable housing in all areas of Dallas including the more wealthy districts/neighborhood.

No one gives a sh1t if they just want to build in South and Far South Dallas. They can have free house, free healthcare, and whatever they like. All the entry-level jobs and cheap tutors can stay there.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:32 PM

329 posts, read 284,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
At least you haven't been called Uncle Tom. Although it doesn't bother me anymore. Back to "racial equity", where is it not equal? People fail to understand that equal start doesn't equal the same outcome. No one is stopping any black person with money from buying where ever they want to live. I feel this whole program is racist. "Hey black people, we feel that you will never make anything of your self so we will give you the same thing that the other guy worked hard to get but we will only make you pay a few hundred dollars a month. That's the only way you blacks will make it to our level!".
I have been called an “Uncle Tom”, and worse.

There’s nothing that upsets the Left more than a successful, conservative black person who doesn’t fall for the “oppressed victim” narrative they’re so vested in propagating.

As you stated, this “racial equity” housing initiative is borne from the Leftist ideology that black Americans are perpetually oppressed and incapable of achieving success parity with other races, which is as you argue, racist.

And offensive.

The city of Dallas could have called this housing policy “equal housing access for disadvantaged households”, but as soon as they called it “racial equity”, the city politicized the policy and made it abundantly clear that it’s specifically aimed at poor black people.

And specifically, the kinds of black people no one of means wants to live around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas