Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 01:14 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,207 times

Advertisements

The story is in D Magazine and the full list is below:

* https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...g-policy-vote/
* https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...-housing-plan/
* https://assets.dmagstatic.com/wp-con...solution-2.pdf

1. Create a CHP vision statement articulating how the affordable housing playing field will be leveled for all racial groups and across the North/South Divide;
2. Create a comprehensive, city-wide strategic road map for coordinating the CHP’s array of tools while also leveraging community partnerships to address the very different needs for change from one area of the city to another;
3. Establish SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-Bound) goals for the CHP that point to the desirable state;
4. Strengthen linkages between the CHP and neighborhood revitalization strategies that leverage infrastructure improvements, economic revitalization, and mixed-use master planning to build a foundation for increasing generational wealth in historically Black and Brown communities;
5. Add a CHP goal around remedying the enormous infrastructure deficit that has persisted in Southern Dallas for generations;
6. Utilize an “All 14 Districts” model to combat ubiquitous “Not in my Backyard” (NIMBY-ism) across all areas of Dallas;
7. Create a dedicated revenue stream that is scaled to the magnitude of Dallas’ affordable housing shortage
8. Expand and refine existing CHP programs to create a comprehensive, integrated strategy for preventing displacement during neighborhood revitalization;
9. Use the CHP to mandate education for the city staff, policymakers, and the public about what racial equity means in the context of affordable housing and community development;
10.Strategically utilize Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) financing in both high opportunity areas with low poverty rates and distressed areas with higher rates; and
11.Amend the CHP to include myth-busting strategies to help dispel myths about affordable housing that fuel NIMBYism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 01:44 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
So they're going to make North Dallas just as crime-infested and undesirable as South Dallas?

Thank god I live outside the Dallas City Limits.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:40 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Everyone who lived in far North Dallas remembers the infamous projects that were built at Frankfort and Marsh in the late 1990s. The surrounding neighborhood quickly went downhill, and still has lingering crime problems. I guess that worked so well that they are going to try it all over the city.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:35 PM

319 posts, read 228,651 times
I do not understand why the city is so hell bent on creating affordable housing? I don't think I sound heartless when I say if you can't afford something, you can't have it. You just move to where you can afford or you work harder to afford what you want. People that complain about the costs of their necessities always have extra money for what they want.... prime example, cable tv while living in subsidized housing...

Old 05-03-2022, 08:32 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,895 times
The only thing this accomplished was a nice revenue stream for some consultants. What a waste of time and money.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:09 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
I do not understand why the city is so hell bent on creating affordable housing? I don't think I sound heartless when I say if you can't afford something, you can't have it. You just move to where you can afford or you work harder to afford what you want. People that complain about the costs of their necessities always have extra money for what they want.... prime example, cable tv while living in subsidized housing...
You honestly don't understand why a city might be interested in ensuring its residents can afford housing?

Yes, the logic of "If you can't afford something, don't buy it" obviously makes sense. But whether housing can be afforded in this instance is a variable, not a constant.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You honestly don't understand why a city might be interested in ensuring its residents can afford housing?

Yes, the logic of "If you can't afford something, don't buy it" obviously makes sense. But whether housing can be afforded in this instance is a variable, not a constant.
None of the above bullet points is going to help make housing more affordable if it's nearly impossible to get something built.

There's not a single element of that plan that involves a concrete, realistic plan to get more housing built at a realistic cost on a realistic timeline. That whole thing's just a bunch of bureaucratic word salad in the absence of housing being put in the ground.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:14 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
None of the above bullet points is going to help make housing more affordable if it's nearly impossible to get something built.
I didn't say they would.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they would.
If the city is interested in ensuring its residents can afford housing, it needs to make sure there's a plentiful supply of housing, not put out a bunch of word salad. Word salad doesn't build houses.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:20 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:

One of the things thats definitely different about living in Houston vs. Dallas is that the whole no zoning thing down here makes affordable housing pop up everywhere with only a few exceptions. People here are just used to it so there isnt much of a fuss to make. When I lived in Dallas, I remember a lot more fuss happening when there was any talk of affordable housing being built close by. There is definitely more of an effort to keep things more economically segregated up there.

I get that people in Dallas dont exactly admire or want to be more like Houston, it was just an observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas