Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 01:45 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Dreaming View Post
I'm guessing you are religious and are very "giddy" because you get to be near your grandkids on an everyday basis. I can appreciate that. Many Californian's who move here are not religious and have no family within 1500 miles. We end up missing the beach and west coast "vibe" sooner than later.

CA is a much more beautiful/varied state with MUCH more to do and see and experience. In our CA opinion, TX, after the "newness" wears off, is flat, ugly,highly conservative and boring as hell. The "Southern" mentality is alive and well I don't care how many transplants there are.

Our CA friends and family could not believe we were going to move and live in TX. Now we understand why they were so shocked.

My advice to any Californian/West Coaster thinking of moving to TX strictly for the COL? DO NOT buy a house for at least the first year (or two). You don't want to be trapped here!
What does religion have to do with it? Boy that shows a lot about your hang-ups. I happen to be religious as were most of our friends and family in CA. We had a great church in CA and have found a great one here. If you are relying on weather and scenery for your happiness I feel sorry for you. I guess that is the big advantage of having a different belief system that most of the world, you can be happy almost anywhere as long as you are surrounded by those you love and cherish be it family or friends. I am sorry that you can't also.

As far as boring. Once again if running around like a chicken the distraction you need I am sorry. We just happen to love being with our friends, having a nice barbecue, playing cards, games until 2 in the morning. It is plenty satisfying for us. We also like the fact that we are within driving to many great places. We are road warriors and love road trips. We took many, many while living in CA but ran out of new places to go. Now we have a new adventure when we take our road trips.

It really comes down to a personal preference. You have yours, I have mine. It is okay that is what makes the world go round.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Droves eh? Our population is growing so don't know where that is coming from. Believe me, we can take less people and get people off the roads here. We don't mind. Slums... sure. We have learned to live many to a home nowadays in SoCal. Families here live many to a home particular immigrant ones. That article is more so true for parts of LA w/ the massive Mexican population. Hey NYC has slums too remember? SD looks just fine to me I think that guy who wrote this was a little upset that hey couldn't afford a home in SoCal that wasn't in a slum.
The facts are that more people are moving from CA to other destinations that people are moving from other destinations to CA. It is just a fact. Population growth has nothing to do with migration.

That is too funny. Do you know who Anthony Downs is? Do you know how ignorant that your statement shows you are? Try reading, doing a little research, before making dumb comments.

Anthony Downs is a noted scholar in public policy and public administration, and since 1977 is a Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington D.C.. Downs has served as a consultant to many of the nation's largest corporations and public officials, including the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the White House. President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to the National Commission on Urban Problems in 1967, and HUD Secretary Jack Kemp appointed him to the Advisory Commission on Regulatory Barriers to Affordable Housing in 1989. He is officer or trustee of General Growth Properties and the NAACP Legal and Educational Defense Fund.

Anthony Downs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2008, 03:05 PM

303 posts, read 846,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Well for those of you that did not do your homework and moved here for the wrong reason, well I have no sympathy for you. Those of you that feel that way should get out of Dodge ASAP. We don't need negative ex-Californians giving us ex-Californians that love it here a bad rep. Adiós!
In case you didn't know, I did not move to Texas by choice. My dad's stupid company forced us here when I was only 12. And I would move back to CA in a heartbeat if the economy was not in the toilet.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM

58 posts, read 147,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
It comes down to this. You can't get a nice home in a nice area in SoCal for less than 700k. And $700k is considered a deal.

For less than $700k in SoCal one is looking at a sketchy area, a small townhome/condo or something in the desert that would involve 1 hour + commute.

It is that simple.

$350k gets a beautiful home in a nice area in DFW - boom there it is.
Yea, but you live in TX!! I would rather rent in CA than own in TX. Most Californians would agree with me I think.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,478 times
OK folks an email has just come in from the world renowned environmentalist Al Gore. It's kinda hard to read as I think he was typing while flying on that big ol aeroplane he flys around a lot on but I have gathered that all of the heat generated by this thread has caused his hand held global warming meter to spin off the hook so he politely asked if we could just shut it down. Since it seems the same members have pretty much the same thing to say and we seem to be going around in circles here I am in agreement with him on this one. Ya know, I think these Dallas vs. CA threads are gonna stop around here for awhile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas