Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas has these great features but you may have to drive 800 or so miles to find them. They're just not all in the same spot.
Mountains in TX? We've driven from SA through El Paso to SoCal - not t mention Big Bend, sure I guess they're mountains, but far from much civilization. Beaches, yes but for some reason not a major attraction for most Texans. Climate? Where in TX is it 78 w/ no humidity as a high in the summer? TX like most of the country, has hot humid summers and mild winters. It's not deathly unbearable, but hot enough to make you put on the AC. Winters, sure can get cold w/ the wind - but it's not 5 degrees like most of the mid-west. I guess in perspective, the weather isn't that bad when thought as a whole, compared to SoCal or NoCal, there are major differences.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 25,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I guess it is a matter of what you like or don't like. I have been in CA for 20+ yrs and I hate when it hits 6 p.m. most of the year you need a jacket. When I was in Dallas during Sept. I loved how I came outside at 9 p.m. and it was just nice and toasty and I did not need a jacket. It's just something about lazy warm summer nights I just love. I had a friend come to CA back in the 80's and to this day she still makes a joke about not getting caught after 6 pm without a jacket.

I would definitely be one of those that would adjust easily to the heat. May not like it all the time but I could deal with it. Now on the other hand can't stand being cold.

.... Exactly, don't get caught without a jacket after 6 pm. Funny but so true! I too love the fact that in the evening in Sept. a jacket is not needed. This is what so many of us from California enjoy about Texas weather.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof-five View Post
.... Exactly, don't get caught without a jacket after 6 pm. Funny but so true! I too love the fact that in the evening in Sept. a jacket is not needed. This is what so many of us from California enjoy about Texas weather.
Wow, did u live on the beach or something? Bc you don't need a jacket unless you're a few miles from water... gets 100 degrees 4 months out of the year in CA valleys plenty hot here too.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
Wow, did u live on the beach or something? Bc you don't need a jacket unless you're a few miles from water... gets 100 degrees 4 months out of the year in CA valleys plenty hot here too.

Yes.. it can get 100 degrees 4 months out of the year in CA ... just like it can in Texas. But in many parts in California, it cools down at night in September. That is why some people choose to put on a jacket. Not everyone lives in the valley. Anyway, I find the weather(except for the thunder storms) in Texas very similar to our weather. In some area's in California it's more humid, muggy and overcast and in some parts very dry and some parts very windy. Isn't it funny how some people think that the entire state of California never gets too hot and never gets too cold that it's never more than 78-80 degrees everywhere and that the entire state of Texas is dry and all desert and cactus everywhere?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Dwong, you're showing your true lack of knowledge about the state, it's weather, it's cities & it's mountains.

BTW, cut out the bold letters man it's truly harder to read. KIND OF LIKE ALL CAPS

Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
I moved to Bentonville in Northwest Arkansas from LA three years ago. Mostly, the cost of living and taxes is driving people & business to the Southwest. Also, California is becoming a third world country.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:07 PM

17 posts, read 89,985 times
From the perspective of a former SoCal resident speaking only about the L.A. area:

A good source about "why" can be found in the Los Angeles Times on a daily basis. The city is inexorably growing more and more into a crime-ridden, expensive, congested pest hole than it was 20 years ago...and it was bad even then during the 1980s. Also, for people who believe that law-abiding citizens should be able to purchase guns for self-defense without going through a pile of red tape, Texas is generally favorable to gun owners.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyof-five View Post
Yes.. it can get 100 degrees 4 months out of the year in CA ... just like it can in Texas. But in many parts in California, it cools down at night in September. That is why some people choose to put on a jacket. Not everyone lives in the valley. Anyway, I find the weather(except for the thunder storms) in Texas very similar to our weather. In some area's in California it's more humid, muggy and overcast and in some parts very dry and some parts very windy. Isn't it funny how some people think that the entire state of California never gets too hot and never gets too cold that it's never more than 78-80 degrees everywhere and that the entire state of Texas is dry and all desert and cactus everywhere?
SoCal if put in TX size wise is very small! But we have a varying climate here it is almost none like it. I lived in the valley's of CA and it won't bip below 70 most of the summer. Keep in mind too, the Valley's are nestled between mountains so they are apt to a slighty cool down sometimes. Some area's of CA humid? Somedays, but by all means as a whole - it's far from most TX metros. Outside of SoCal and even in Socal you get every imaginable temperature, just like TX... our's are just so varying in small distances.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
California sucks.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
SoCal if put in TX size wise is very small! But we have a varying climate here it is almost none like it. I lived in the valley's of CA and it won't bip below 70 most of the summer. Keep in mind too, the Valley's are nestled between mountains so they are apt to a slighty cool down sometimes. Some area's of CA humid? Somedays, but by all means as a whole - it's far from most TX metros. Outside of SoCal and even in Socal you get every imaginable temperature, just like TX... our's are just so varying in small distances.

That's right. The climate in Texas and the climate in California are very similar indeed. You got it! I'm pleased that you agree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas