Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times

Advertisements

So I guess it's not hard to see that I know Holmby Hills, Bel-Air and Beverly Hills better than you!

I will admit that I am a bit fuzzy on the dividing line between Holmby Hills and the West Gate of Bel-Air -- but as you know I live between the coasts in the backward southern state of Texas.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:32 PM

669 posts, read 1,613,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Grainraiser,

No- you missed my point completely. I said that I think income disparity is what creates diversity- having a broad range of incomes (ie, Woodrow- where there are free lunch kids in class with kids who live on Tokalon or Lakewood Blvd)- is what creates a diverse environment. A white kid with money is pretty much the same as a wealthy black, Hispanic, or Asian kid. This is a point that our President has made over & over, that economic disparity is the new great divider for our country, not race.

Furthermore, HPISD does have some students of non-white origin, NOT zero- as you misquote again & again. I am not saying it's the melting pot of Dallas but there IS a difference between some and zero.
Because I happen to have a recent HP yearbook handy, here are the race breakdowns of each class:
12th grade- 3 Asian, 7 Hispanic, 1 Indian, 1 Middle Eastern= 12 (4% of class)
11th grade- 6 Asian, 4 Hispanic = 10 (3% of class)
10th grade- 1 Black, 4 Hispanic, 2 Middle Eastern, 4 Asian = 11 (3% of class)
9th grade- 5 Hispanic, 1 Black, 6 Asian, 2 Middle Eastern = 14 (3% of class)

Again, I know 3-4% is no a lot, but it's not zero.
That's pretty funny... not Zero you are correct, bug dang close! haha

Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM

40 posts, read 76,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So I guess it's not hard to see that I know Holmby Hills, Bel-Air and Beverly Hills better than you!
Not exactly. You know where the supposed filming location was for a show that hasn't been on television for nearly forty years.

But kudos, nonetheless!

Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If you believe that, why are you moving here? Also why are you letting a few people on an internet forum shape your perception of a metro area of around 6 million people?
I don't. I've been to Dallas and it is anything but backward. I think it's quite cosmopolitan, as it should be, being the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States.

The "backward" comments were in response to that arrogant, super-sized Texas ego which I heard is quite common among natives. Unfortunately, the rest of the country, for the most part, does not have the most positive impression of Texas so these grandiose claims of greatness are probably doing more harm than good...

Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM

Check out TV Land The Beverly Hillbillies - Video Clips & Episodes | See Online Photo Gallery, Play Trivia Game | TVLand (http://www.tvland.com/shows/beverlyhillbillies/ - broken link) it's on several times per day.

Really, what will your West Plano neighbors think if you don't have premium cable?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post
I don't. I've been to Dallas and it is anything but backward. I think it's quite cosmopolitan, as it should be, being the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States.

The "backward" comments were in response to that arrogant, super-sized Texas ego which I heard is quite common among natives. Unfortunately, the rest of the country, for the most part, does not have the most positive impression of Texas so these grandiose claims of greatness are probably doing more harm than good...
But we don't care. We are doing just fine in Texas without more people from California and the northeast moving here; if they think we are backwards, arrogant, etc. then they do not have to move here! I love Texas and I thank g-d I live here. I am not a conservative Bible-thumping redneck either, I'm a liberal Jew!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Check out TV Land The Beverly Hillbillies - Video Clips & Episodes | See Online Photo Gallery, Play Trivia Game | TVLand (http://www.tvland.com/shows/beverlyhillbillies/ - broken link) it's on several times per day.

Really, what will your West Plano neighbors think if you don't have premium cable?

They'll think that I have a career and much more important things to do than sit around watching reruns all day.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Maybe you could take this from my post - people actually want to visit West L.A.

West Plano, not so much.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post
They'll think that I have a career and much more important things to do than sit around watching reruns all day.
Are you talking about your new neighbors in Texas or your old neighbors in California?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Maybe you could take this from my post - people actually want to visit West L.A.

West Plano, not so much.
Yes, because we all know Lakewood is the most popular destination for those who visit Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas