Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 PM

436 posts, read 1,614,366 times

Advertisements

some are true, some not so much.

we lived in plano (yes, "west plano") for years and loved it. there is some culture shock (seeing 16 year olds picking up friends in our neighborhood in their bmws) and pressure (I always knew my class rank at a much less affluent hs, 20 years ago). our kids were young (preschool) when we lived there, but I thought the older kids in our neighborhood were nice. they would lob a football to my 3 year old son and make his day. they were polite. they drove "normal" cars (a 3-4 year old civic or rodeo). and yes, they went to shepton and plano west.

all that to say, good kids are out there too. don't let some prima donna kids showing off on fb scare you off.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:29 PM

436 posts, read 1,614,366 times
to answer your questions specifically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post

• Someone asks you where you’re from and you reply “Plano…West Plano…and yes, that’s relevant.”

I always said "plano", and then said "west plano" if asked where in plano.

• Everyone you know asks “How’s the heroine problem in Plano?” and you answer “oh that wasn’t MY side of Plano”

more likely "that was 10 years ago", but honestly, I think all schools have a group of kids with a drug problem. if I were to guess, I think it'd be more of a vicodin type problem.

• You’ve gotten dressed up in really cute outfits to “go out” with your friends and end up driving up and down Park and Preston and then end up drinking by someone’s pool.

sounds like a lot of small towns too

• Your house is on the Gleneagles golf course.

ours was not. we did not belong to a country club or even a gym. but we did belong to the plano rec center. check out the muhlenbeck ctr- awesome and for only $65 a year!!!

• Everyone you know has a pool. You get skeptical of people when they don't have one.

there are a ton of pools. I'd say about 15% of our neighborhood. in the more expensive ones, it would probably be more of 50-80%.

• Being called a “daddy’s girl” (or a rich prick in a boy’s case) is okay with you.

gag

• You think it’s weird when you’re the only one out of your college friends who had a football team with a blowup tunnel to run out of onto the field.

are these colleges in texas? football is big here, and it would not surprise me if a lot of districts has these or something simliar. we spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ on football and football stadiums.

• 1 or more people you know were obsessed with their class rank in highschool.

I would be surprised to find kids *not* concerned with their class rank. you see kids not taking classes that are not honors classes since they would drop their gpa, even if they got an a+. same thing as 20 years ago.

• You get pissed when you’re stuck behind “out-of-towners” who come and stare at the mansions in Willow Bend Country while driving 10 miles an hour.

lol- I am guilty of that one. willow bend has some nice christmas lights!

• It's completely probable that you now go to college with someone who went to the same highschool as you and you never knew they existed before.

true. I did not know everyone in my class either, so that does not seem strange to me.

• You have a maid. Your mom is a housewife, but still has a maid…..

I wish...

• Taking 75 is gross….the Tollway is classy.

75 is out of the way. the tollway is right there. matter of convenience. and it's a blast to drive.

• It’s not a question of whether you will get a car for your 16th birthday, but what TYPE of car.

true

• It’s tacky when people over the age of 17 have fake Louis Vuitton or Gucci purses….unless you got them on a cruise and look so legit it’s scary….

those people need to get over themselves. but I am sure there are some people who are into that. anything to make someone else feel inferior. in my day, it was just designer jeans.

• Almost all of your friends have a new car.

relatively new, yes.

• The workers at Willowbend’s Neiman Marcus/Saks know you and your entire family and bow down in your presence.

the workers at saks never acknowledged my presence, even when the store was empty. I hate that store- refuse to even walk through. but I can see how the employees would grovel to the big spenders- they want their commission.

• You have no idea where Collin Creek Mall is and quite frankly, you don’t care.

been there a few times. an old, outdated mall that needs a facelift. you can find a lot of the same stores elsewhere, such as park & preston.

• Being called a snob can be a compliment.

never.

• You’ve bought alcohol at Beverage Island or the Chevron Station without an ID and seen three of your classmates there doing the same thing.

I can see that.

• You found it funny, not offensive, when someone made a sign at a West Hockey game v. Plano that said “Our dad’s are your dad’s bosses” or something to that effect. You found it funny because it’s true.

true or not, that's offensive.

• Karen Dillard’s.

did not even know what that was

• Crossing Ohio makes you cringe.

ahhh... they do not like crossing into plano territory?

• Someone who has grass in their yard has a “big” yard.

lol- we all have grass. unless you put such a huge pool in your backyard that you can't find a patch of grass back there. then you onyl have it in the front.

• You regularly see Troy Aikman jogging down Willowbend Drive and Bernie Mac driving his Bently.

never seen either

• In 8th grade if you weren’t standing outside of Tinseltown in a huge group waiting to be picked up in your parents SUV, you probably didn’t have any friends.

honestly, where do kids hang out? movie theaters and malls. nothing new there.

• You get nervous when you drive into a part of Dallas where you’re the only BMW/Mercedes/Lexus on the road.

lol

• You know how to drive through the alleys in Willowbend to get to your friend’s house. And you’ve driven them drunk more than a few times.

man, I hate alleyways. I can see this one being true.

• Neiman Marcus is your credit cards’ best friend.

I can see this being true for some, but not the majority

• Even though the Willowbend Mall is slowly becoming emptier, you still love it.

ok, I still love willow bend. it's a nice, non-crowded mall. you want to see a teenager mob scene, go to stonebriar.

• 1+ of your friends drive a Hummer.

I doubt that

• There isn't a DART station anywhere in West Plano for a reason.

yes- it's called politics and $$$. they want to get all the tollway revenue they can.

• You’ve heard that 75093 is the new 90210 and you almost burst from pride.

I did not even know 75093 was even a thing to some people until or realtor told us when we went to sell our house.

• Either your parents or your friend’s parents have gotten drunk with you on multiple occasions or have caught you drinking and proceeded to drink with you or make a 2nd beer run.

for the drinkers, I can see that

• You know all of these points sounded really snobby….but you joined anyway.

of course they did- they have some sort of gossip girl fantasy thing going on fb!
hope that helps some more.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:40 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
I don't know who in their right mind would wanna live in such a shallow & sterile place where everyone dresses a like & drives the same cars. It blows my mind.

I wonder how many of those "daddies girls" daddies have lost their high paying job & entire life savings within the past 6 months. I'm sorry dear, daddy can't put you through college anymore, you're going to have to get a real job & its not called shopping at Willowbend spending daddies money.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:52 AM

804 posts, read 1,965,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!! Funny. And as others have said, while some of them are extreme exagerations.......... some are a little too true.

Sorry, had to have some fun with these
More please

What is the sound of a 500lb Bible falling on a luxury car?

Last edited by nomore07; 05-17-2009 at 02:09 AM.. Reason: Because it seemed like the right thing to do

Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,928,674 times
Default Re:

Re: Troy Aikman

I *did* see him out jogging one time down Parker Road near Willow Bend. I remember the following sequence of thoughts as I got closer and closer:

1) There's some rich Willow Bend Saturday morning warrior out for his workout;
2) Hey, that guy's moving pretty fast! He's not a piker, he's in really good shape.
3) OMG, that's Troy Aikman!

Old 05-17-2009, 01:00 PM

83 posts, read 211,065 times
All those rich folks in West Plano will eventually learn that money is not the sole reason for living. Often, they learn it before it is too late.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I don't know who in their right mind would wanna live in such a shallow & sterile place where everyone dresses a like & drives the same cars. It blows my mind.

I wonder how many of those "daddies girls" daddies have lost their high paying job & entire life savings within the past 6 months. I'm sorry dear, daddy can't put you through college anymore, you're going to have to get a real job & its not called shopping at Willowbend spending daddies money.
What do you mean? Most of those girls probably married well anyway, their husbands are supporting them. That is why many of them go to college, to meet their future husband.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:13 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hollywoodian View Post
• Someone asks you where you’re from and you reply “Plano…West Plano…and yes, that’s relevant.”

• Everyone you know asks “How’s the heroine problem in Plano?” and you answer “oh that wasn’t MY side of Plano”

• You’ve gotten dressed up in really cute outfits to “go out” with your friends and end up driving up and down Park and Preston and then end up drinking by someone’s pool.

• Your house is on the Gleneagles golf course.

• Everyone you know has a pool. You get skeptical of people when they don't have one.

• Being called a “daddy’s girl” (or a rich prick in a boy’s case) is okay with you.

• You think it’s weird when you’re the only one out of your college friends who had a football team with a blowup tunnel to run out of onto the field.

• 1 or more people you know were obsessed with their class rank in highschool.

• You get pissed when you’re stuck behind “out-of-towners” who come and stare at the mansions in Willow Bend Country while driving 10 miles an hour.

• It's completely probable that you now go to college with someone who went to the same highschool as you and you never knew they existed before.

• You have a maid. Your mom is a housewife, but still has a maid…..

• Taking 75 is gross….the Tollway is classy.

• It’s not a question of whether you will get a car for your 16th birthday, but what TYPE of car.

• It’s tacky when people over the age of 17 have fake Louis Vuitton or Gucci purses….unless you got them on a cruise and look so legit it’s scary….

• Almost all of your friends have a new car.

• The workers at Willowbend’s Neiman Marcus/Saks know you and your entire family and bow down in your presence.

• You have no idea where Collin Creek Mall is and quite frankly, you don’t care.

• Being called a snob can be a compliment.

• You’ve bought alcohol at Beverage Island or the Chevron Station without an ID and seen three of your classmates there doing the same thing.

• You found it funny, not offensive, when someone made a sign at a West Hockey game v. Plano that said “Our dad’s are your dad’s bosses” or something to that effect. You found it funny because it’s true.

• Karen Dillard’s.

• Crossing Ohio makes you cringe.

• Someone who has grass in their yard has a “big” yard.

• You regularly see Troy Aikman jogging down Willowbend Drive and Bernie Mac driving his Bently.

• In 8th grade if you weren’t standing outside of Tinseltown in a huge group waiting to be picked up in your parents SUV, you probably didn’t have any friends.

• You get nervous when you drive into a part of Dallas where you’re the only BMW/Mercedes/Lexus on the road.

• You know how to drive through the alleys in Willowbend to get to your friend’s house. And you’ve driven them drunk more than a few times.

• Neiman Marcus is your credit cards’ best friend.

• Even though the Willowbend Mall is slowly becoming emptier, you still love it.

• 1+ of your friends drive a Hummer.

• There isn't a DART station anywhere in West Plano for a reason.

• You’ve heard that 75093 is the new 90210 and you almost burst from pride.

• Either your parents or your friend’s parents have gotten drunk with you on multiple occasions or have caught you drinking and proceeded to drink with you or make a 2nd beer run.

• You know all of these points sounded really snobby….but you joined anyway.
This is not West Plano people talking, this is high school kids talking. It's not the same.

West Plano kids don't realize that if their families had real money or breeding they'd be living in Highland Park. It's a very, very new money culture, and if you don't want to be a part of that, I would suggest not living there.

The kids do drink a lot, but that's any high school. They do do drugs, but that's going to happen in any neighborhood with money. The kid who said the "heroine" problem wasn't his part of Plano is mistaken. It was at Plano Senior High, but it was before Plano West opened, and the kids were from "West Plano." However, it was 10 years ago and the people have mostly moved on.

Plano is really what you make of it. I know some excellent people who live in mansions in West Plano, and I know some terrible people who feel they are absolutely entitled because they live in West Plano even though they live in very middle-class homes.

However, if you think that West Plano is going to be an island of refinement and culture just because the people there came into money you're going to be mistaken. It is absolutely not a traditional old-money southern culture; rather, it's very much an upper middle class and new money neighborhood, so if that's what you're looking for than I would recommend it.

To be concise, West Plano is not particularly what it's portrayed as in the post there, but some of the high school kids may act like it.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,094 times
So with all this info, you still want to move to "WEST Plano", like most posters said if I had the money and choice I would move to Highland Park.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
However, if you think that West Plano is going to be an island of refinement and culture just because the people there came into money you're going to be mistaken. It is absolutely not a traditional old-money southern culture; rather, it's very much an upper middle class and new money neighborhood, so if that's what you're looking for than I would recommend it.
I'm tired of all these new money wanna-bees...yes bees, all busy-buzzing around. All their kids chew with their mouths open...it's always camp-run-amok. Just gross!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas