Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,848,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Are you not a Kentuckian? If you must have a Kroger Marketplace, there's one in Newport. Now, don't sit in Dayton and sing a song of Beavercreek. The suburbs and Dayton don't get along with each other too well.
CP--

Yep, the Kroger's in Newport is quite a nice location. So is the one in Fort Mitchell that they rebuilt on top of the old Kroger's. Shame, because I worked in the old store when I was like 14 and in high school. Did that 2-3 days a week around school and such. Used to walk there, bagged people's groceries for the princely sum of $5.90 an hour, which was the world to me.

Not going to lie, at the age of 14 I was pretty frugal, I was saving for a car. I hated walking to work, especially in bad weather. Did that for a year and then worked at Atria Highland Crossing, right next to Fort Wright Elementary, and then Remke's after that. I had saved $4,000 by the time I was 16 and as soon as I got my license went out and bought a car. Damned near broke me on insurance and gas, but I was proud to say I could drive. I've never looked back, and I haven't taken any form of public transit since.

God, I sound like an old person telling a story like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:40 AM

430 posts, read 593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I'm waiting for the day Tracie Hunter - who is as corrupt and incompetent as the day is long - claims the proceedings against her are being filed simply because she's black.

I refuse to listen when someone plays the race card because it means they're not longer entitled to be taken seriously. If there is serious racism going on, that's one thing. But I have had so many people in my own life, in other social circles, and especially in the media and in politics claim they "aren't getting their way because they're black." It sickens me, and it degrades a whole group of people who are told their whole lives it's someone else's fault they don't have XYZ.

It may or may not be true. But you're never going to get rid of racism until people stop talking about it.

If there is serious racism going on, then we can handle it. If the guy in Beavercreek truly said "he wanted to be the only coon in town", then he's an idiot and needs to be shown that he is. But to say that Beavercreek denied the RTA bus stops because of racism is equally idiotic. It's expensive to run another bus line out, it's expensive to build and maintain the stops, and it's a public safety burden. Those are all legitimate concerns.

I'm moving because I don't feel like I can have any effect on the downward spiral of Dayton. Yes, the majority of my social circle is in Beavercreek, and so is the majority of the things I do. It's only logical that I move out there, because I'm spending far more in gas than I should.

As to shopping inside of Dayton... can you name me a nice Kroger's inside of city limits? The one off Siebenthaler doesn't count as a safe one in my book. Neither did the one on Gettysburg (which I heard was closed anyway). The one on Wayne looks like a dump, and has too small a selection. Ditto the one on Smithville, although not as bad as Wayne. The best Kroger's in my experience is the one off Dayton-Xenia road in... you guessed it, Beavercreek. And I went to the Austin Landing one and wasn't especially impressed.

You keep bringing up the RTA--I've said nothing about the RTA. Racism-indeed, any kind of discrimination--is not something you just sweep under the rug and it goes away. Pointing is out is not "playing a race card." Again, let's be honest here, there was a racial overtone to a lot of the bus line rabble, especially on the FB pages of various local media outlets.

Why is the one off of Siebenthaler "not safe"? Have you actually been to it? Also, there's a Kroger off of Needmore. If my 5' tall, 100lb, pasty-skinned mom--with her mom purse--can handle both Krogers by herself, I think you can pull through.

PS: Even the tiny DLM is waaaay better than any Kroger.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
I don't believe there's even a natural foods section at the Needmore location. That's pretty much my standard for a "decent" Kroger store these days, since most of them have one.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:55 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Kroger serves its market. There is more disposable income to support stuff like organics/natural/speciality foods out here in suburbia, which is why we have these deluxe Krogers in Centerville and out at Austin Blvd (and I am going to have to visit the Beavercreek Kroger if it's better than the Austin Landing one).

So what you get in Dayton City is just the basics for subsistence living, which is what the residents can afford. There isn't enough of the hipster/YP/upscale market in the city to support anything beyond what y'all have.

Lack of a good in-town grocery was a big decider for me not moving into the city when I moved here from California (perhaps yet another reason Dayton sucked..and sux). I lived in central Sacramento, about two blocks from the state Capital, and we had a Lucky, Safeway, and I think one other big super, within an easy drive (right in town).

After taking a look around I figured I might was well live in suburbia because the city was so damn dead, that you didn't even have supermarket that was open at night, so why bother living there? If there was some other benefit to living in Dayton City that would outweigh the damned inconvenience of it all (and the extra city tax you'd pay), maybe I would have thought about it. But it didn't make much sense.

@@@@

Speaking of Beavercreek...yeah, the place is a right-wing Valhalla, and probably more a suburb of Wright-Patterson vs a suburb of Dayton.

Back in the day, however, I suspect Beavercreek was really Briarcreek. The large lot plats, the lack of full utilities, the geographic set-up...where the place was really just an extension of blue collar/redneck land of Mad River Township (AKA Riverside)...well....yeah...not really that upscale.

Things have obviously changed over the past 30 years or so. But still you get that "we aint the city" thing going on out there.

As for Beavercreek being politically diverse...no..just no....Oakwood is politically diverse. Beavercreek is Tea Party. If you want the real left/liberal bastion of the Miami Valley it is obviously Yellow Springs (which I am considering relocating to, btw).

Old 02-21-2014, 05:33 AM

133 posts, read 195,436 times
Where do people in Yellow Springs grocery shop?

I've never thought (and still don't think) a Kroger or a full size DLM make sense downtown. But, a small store that sells fresh veggies, fruit, meat, basic necessities (shampoo, deodorant, etc.), and has a good wine and beer selection would do well in a small place in the Oregon District. An upscale, Discount Drug Mart. If that makes sense.

Grocery store margins are so small. I don't think a grocer could make it selling canned beans and frozen peas to downtown's population.

I also wonder how much amazon will eat into grocery store bottom lines in the future. I buy a lot of basic stuff on there, now. Paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, body wash. Price shop from home, free delivery, have it the next day.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,300,519 times
Quote from one of the Beavercreek council members "We don't want THOSE PEOPLE here". Do I need to Google it for you and post it and make you naysayers look like ignoramuses?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Kroger serves its market. ...
Speaking of Beavercreek...yeah, the place is a right-wing Valhalla, and probably more a suburb of Wright-Patterson vs a suburb of Dayton.

Back in the day, however, I suspect Beavercreek was really Briarcreek.

Things have obviously changed over the past 30 years or so. But still you get that "we aint the city" thing going on out there.

As for Beavercreek being politically diverse...no..just no....Oakwood is politically diverse. Beavercreek is Tea Party. If you want the real left/liberal bastion of the Miami Valley it is obviously Yellow Springs (which I am considering relocating to, btw).
I endorse virtually anything DaytonSux posts about Dayton. He's always right, without exception or fail. This nails it.

YES - Beavercreek was a redneck extension of Mad River back in the day - the 1970s. DaytonSux wasn't around Dayton then but he's 100% correct. Things like the Bellfair Country Store (or some country store) at Fairfield and Lantz Drive - Beavercreek could plausibly harbor faux country tourist attractions back then.

The deceased local comedy bar singer Dow Thomas used to have a ditty named "Oh Little Town of Beavercreek" to the tune of the Christmas carol. The refrain was "and you're all just stooooo-pid briars!"

Since those pleasant days (really) it has evolved into kept, entitled, spoiled at our expense, government-money-fed bureaucrat and right wing maniac mall hell.

I know the right wing culture fostered in B-creek today. I once dealt with a professional in that town who was an ex-military person. He was spouting Tea Party drivel while oblivious to the fact that the military budget adds nothing to help the balance of trade or jobs for the rest of us. In other words, he hated the drain on government resources while sociopathically oblivious to his own fat pension check coming out of our pockets.

F%% that attitude. B-creek is a bastion of government transfer payments (of a different type) as surely as is a Section 8 hellhole.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 02-21-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
I endorse virtually anything DaytonSux posts about Dayton. He's always right, without exception or fail. This nails it.

YES - Beavercreek was a redneck extension of Mad River back in the day - the 1970s. DaytonSux wasn't around Dayton then but he's 100% correct. Things like the Bellfair Country Store (or some country store) at Fairfield and Lantz Drive - Beavercreek could plausibly harbor faux country tourist attractions back then.

The deceased local comedy bar singer Dow Thomas used to have a ditty named "Oh Little Town of Beavercreek" to the tune of the Christmas carol. The refrain was "and you're all just stooooo-pid briars!"

Since those pleasant days (really) it has evolved into kept, entitled, spoiled at our expense, government-money-fed bureaucrat and right wing maniac mall hell.

I know the right wing culture fostered in B-creek today. I once dealt with a professional in that town who was an ex-military person. He was spouting Tea Party drivel while oblivious to the fact that the military budget adds nothing to help the balance of trade or jobs for the rest of us. In other words, he hated the drain on government resources while sociopathically oblivious to his own fat pension check coming out of our pockets.

F%% that attitude. B-creek is a bastion of government transfer payments (of a different type) as surely as is a Section 8 hellhole.

Hensleya1 feels comfortable in something like Ft. Mitchell. ...And, Kroger. ...Good quality but not necessarily first or top quality. The rich people live in Cincinnati (or very close to it).

Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
Where do people in Yellow Springs grocery shop?
Tom's Market has all the day-to-day stuff (including a good selection of organic & vegetarian). For the rest, you can take the trip up 68 to Meijer in Springfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Your map on that essay (which was extremely well done, as always) points to something I've read in the past: isolation from others creates conservatives, neighborhoods (street grids) create liberals.

Last edited by Natural510; 02-21-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,705 times
^ Dirty filthy liberals that live in slummy urbanized areas next to each other, being all "community" and stuff, UGH! Welfare heads and druggies all. </sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton