Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM

66 posts, read 120,678 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Delaware because of the lack of jobs in the Syracuse, NY market. There have been hundreds of jobs cuts in the surrounding districts. I am not a teacher but my wife is and we are wondering how easy it would be for her to get a job in Delaware.

She has her Bachelors in English and Masters in education from LeMoyne College, which has one of the most respected teaching programs in the state.

I have been to Delaware many times at different times of year for vacations and we spent a week in Lewes/Rehoboth/Dewey during our honeymoon and she fell in love with the state.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,910,003 times
I'm a middle school science teacher in Sussex County, and I'm certified to teach agriscience as well. It didn't take me long to land a job after completing my student teaching requirements and obtaining my teaching license. The school districts are hiring for the 2011-2012 school year; therefore, it's best to start applying NOW.

Your wife shouldn't have any trouble landing a job with a masters degree. DE will require her to have a recent background check (cannot be over a year old) and almost all schools require teachers to now be "highly qualified". This means that the teacher must pass the appropriate praxis two exam in his/her area(s) of expertise. She may have already done this, but if she hasn't--she needs to sign up for her praxis two exam immediately. She can be hired under an "emergency certificate" if she has not passed the praxis two yet; however, most will expect her to already be "highly qualified" when she comes to the job interview.

I worked for the Indian River School District for many years, and the only reason I'm not there now is because they did not have any teaching jobs in my certification areas once I graduated with my degree. I would highly recommend this school district along with Cape Henlopen. Both are beach area school districts, and both districts hire many teachers from out-of-state. I currently work for an inland school district (and enjoy it!), but I do NOT enjoy the drive nor do I have much interest in that particular section of the county.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about teaching in Delaware; I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge. Delaware is definitely a decent state to teach in--best of luck!!

Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM

Default Thanks for your answer

Thank you for your response. My wife said she took 3 exams in New York, the LAST(liberal arts and science test), Content Knowledge test, and pedagogy knowledge test to get her certification in New York. We're hoping they are equivalent to the Praxis II tests that we looked up online. Obviously we'll find out from the school districts once she applies.

We have been watching the districts web pages for job postings and a few of them already posted jobs for next year so she will begin applying once we talk to our parents. They don't know about our intentions to sell the house we've only lived in for 2 years and move to Delaware but that's another story.

Well we're off to break the "good" news to my mom. Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Your wife will still have to take the Praxis II in order to teach in Delaware. She can be hired before taking it, but I believe that she must take it and pass within one year of employment. Delaware requires higher scores on the Praxis than some of the other states, so make sure that she checks that out. She will have the option of a paper test or a computerized test, unless that has changed recently. If I remember correctly, I had to take math, reading, and writing.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Default I think I found something

Upon doing more research we found this on the DSEA website:

http://www.doe.k12.de.us/csa/profstd...%20pd/1540.pdf

Since my wife is certified and licensed in NY, it doesn't look like she has to take the Praxis II. I'm hoping we're right about this but if not, she'll be fine.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Disom..Have you given much thought to what You are going to do? There are not a whole lot of well paying year round jobs in Sussex County.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 AM

Default We're looking all over...

Even though we love Sussex County, we're looking all over for teaching jobs. We found some districts near Dover and Wilmington that looked pretty good so nothing is definite.

As for me, I have over 7 years banking/credit union experience and since Delaware is the banking capital of the country, I think I'll have a pretty good chance landing a job in that sector. If not, I've always wanted to work in a restaurant again so maybe this move will be a time for a career change. Who knows.

Oh and if anyone read my post from mid afternoon yesterday, I told my Mom and she wasn't really surprised. "Go where the jobs are" she said. Apparently she hates NY and has always wanted to leave but didn't because me and my brother. She has a great paying job here and won't move until she retires.

I'll have more updates in the coming weeks as we still have to tell her parents/family and a good amount of our friends. I'm glad I found this forum because everyone seems so helpful and if we do move, we'll be prepared because of all of you.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Good luck!! I think you'll really like Delaware.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Default It has begun

My wife applied for jobs at Brandywine and Sussex Tech. Tomorrow she'll be applying for Indian River and Smyrna. There are a few other districts we're interested in but they haven't posted job yet. There are a few districts that have posted but we're skeptical of.

We're getting sooooo excited!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 AM

Sussex Tech is a wonderful school!! Brandywine is excellent as well...

Please let me know if there are any districts you have questions about. I pretty much know which ones to avoid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware